just curious what this box is?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > just curious what this box is??

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

just curious what this box is??

I dont own a JK, but when the diesel comes out that will probably change. Just keep seeing this bulkly black box and wondering what it is/does?

Nickb1907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely the e-vap canister.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 03:58 AM   #3
wraithyjeep

my 01 dodge GCaravan AWD has the same one it is the evap system
except on my van it is protected by the cross member.
89 YJ, 4.2, 5 speed, 2" lift, 235 75 r 15 M/T. CRT's HEI, MC2150 1.08, OBA, 120V inverter. removable Light bar, 10 hella lamps, trail rack w/ jerry cans, champion winch, high lift jack, C.B., lined tub. H4 Conversion headlamps, reveiw mirror w map lights. royal blue with matching trailer.

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=44.15185125207628&lng=-77.65274047851562&zoom=8]My location[/URL]
wraithyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
SouthFLJeeper

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What's an evap system?
SouthFLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 05:11 AM   #5
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLJeeper
What's an evap system?
Evaporative emissions. The canister captures fuel vapor from the tank and stores it in a charcoal canister rather than let the vapors escape.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
jpaddict

I thought it was the Flux Capacitor--the device that makes time travel possible.

I guess my saleman lied to me.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
jpaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
doojer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaddict
I thought it was the Flux Capacitor--the device that makes time travel possible.

Make him install it for free!

Or, you could always have this guy do it.....
[B][URL="http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9"]2007 JK Unlimited Sahara[/URL][/B] - [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Jeep Green[/B][/COLOR], Auto, 4:10, D30 front/D44 rear, RockCrusher Diff Covers
doojer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
UTAH

Quote:
That's just ridiculous. I wish people would stop posting these foolish things that confuse others. You just know if someone reads that on the web they'll think it must be true.

Dang it, the Flux Capacitor ain't anywhere under the vehicle and never has been - it's always mounted under the hood next to the battery.

Bill
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

No, that is true, unfortunately it's really hard to get a Jeep up to the required 88 miles per hour necessary for time travel.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
FLSeaMonkey

Ok, a bit off topic, but I gotta share this one. I used to sell BMWs many moons ago. My buddy there would get a, uh, "uninformed" customer in the showroom. We would all non-chalantly gather around to listen to the show. He would be going through his ramblings about the car and then pop the hood and say "and if you notice, the '98 540I has the updated Flux Capacitor." Nobody ever caught it. Salesmen........
FLSeaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
Joec

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
No, that is true, unfortunately it's really hard to get a Jeep up to the required 88 miles per hour necessary for time travel.
I get white knuckled when I get the JK up to 88 mph. (not that I would know about that. nope. no way. nuh-uh.)
2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Greystone, Auto, Power, Tow, Leather seats, Pneumatic Lumbar support, Seat Heat, GENTEX autodim mirror w/ map lights - temp - compass, AEM CAI, COOL TECH antenna mount, THULE Rack, CIBIE, Fuel Door, Grab Handles, Tuffy Trunk/Console/Overhead, Grill mod, Olympic Reversa bars,COOL TECH Magnaflow exhaust, Parking sensors,HESCO Supercharger
1972 C104 Commando - Stock
Joec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
DShizzle
My daughter is SAXON

I have only had mine a little over 80 mph which was not a bad ride with little effort...I was supprised...I've no doubt it would easily get to 88, especially if I lifted it higher in the rear...everbody knows any vehicle will go faster downhill
possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".
DShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
FLSeaMonkey

Come to think of it, that stainless steel Delorean skin would look pretty good on a JK.....
FLSeaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #14
doojer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshizzle2005
I have only had mine a little over 80 mph which was not a bad ride with little effort...I was supprised...I've no doubt it would easily get to 88, especially if I lifted it higher in the rear...everbody knows any vehicle will go faster downhill
I guess this thread is a little all over the place-- but I just want to let you guys know that I've hit 90 with very little effort more than once. My average speed to and from work on the highway is 80, but sometimes I've got to pass the slow folks.

At 90, my grasp on the wheel is a little tighter, but at 80 all it takes is one relaxed hand
[B][URL="http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9"]2007 JK Unlimited Sahara[/URL][/B] - [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Jeep Green[/B][/COLOR], Auto, 4:10, D30 front/D44 rear, RockCrusher Diff Covers
doojer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #15
Bigbob

That box, flux capaciter, evaporator, what ever you want to call is something that will surely be replaced once it is smashed into the driveshaft by a rock or berm. So why can't we all just agree and call it "TOAST".
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.