Just another skid plate install, no big deal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Just another skid plate install, no big deal.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just another skid plate install, no big deal.

I installed my new RockHard Trans/oilpan skid plate (from Northridge4x4) last night and for the most part it went fairly easy. Since Iím no spring chicken any more and itís kinda heavy, the Trans jack came in handy for the install. I like the looks of it and it covers the Trans and oilpan with one smooth plate.

No need for pics, their website (Rock Hard 4x4 Parts - XJ Cherokee Rocker Guard Sliders) shows it best. Just posting so that others that might be thinking about this skid know how easy an install it really is. I havenít had a chance to abuse it yet, but from the looks of it and the numerous posts Iíve read, it should work just fine.

Unread 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Cool.

As it stands right now the only plate I want to upgrade sooner rather than later is the gas tank skid. The other plates have no damage, but the gas tank skid has some nice dents on it. Eventually I'd like to have the whole shebang.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Forgot to add this part. When installing the part of the skid that covers the catalytic converter on the driverís side, I noticed that it didnít quite sit flush against the frame. Looking further I noticed that the reason was because it was hitting one of the bolts that attach the rear cross member to the frame. Even though it was slight, I just donít work like that. My solution was to remove the part that was making contact. Duh. Anyway, here are a few pics of how I did it.

Here's a pic of the catalytic converter to be covered.

Ruff cut with the plazma cutter.

Cleaned-up and painted.

Getting ready to install.

Installed and showing the bolt that was hitting the plate.

If they would just modify the bend on the main plate and the converter plate slightly, that wouldnít happen. Do I still like the RockHard skid, yup, sure do.
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Forgot to add this part. When installing the part of the skid that covers the catalytic converter on the driver’s side, I noticed that it didn’t quite sit flush against the frame. Looking further I noticed that the reason was because it was hitting one of the bolts that attach the rear cross member to the frame. Even though it was slight, I just don’t work like that. My solution was to remove the part that was making contact. Duh. Anyway, here are a few pics of how I did it.

Here's a pic of the catalytic converter to be covered.

Ruff cut with the plazma cutter.

Cleaned-up and painted.

Getting ready to install.

Installed and showing the bolt that was hitting the plate.

If they would just modify the bend on the main plate and the converter plate slightly, that wouldn’t happen. Do I still like the RockHard skid, yup, sure do.
Did you happen to contact the manufacturer and suggest they a fix? They just might do it. It's smart guys like you that help them improve things :-)
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Cant really tell from the manufactures pic but how thick are they? Look kinda 1/8th's ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

No not yet. I do plan on it though. Plus Iím going to bring to their attention that the hardware bag with all the bolts and nuts was really screwed-up. Had to use some of my own.
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
blk4x4

I installed the Rockhard JK oil/ Trans/ skids along with the gas tank I am getting a lot of vibration from the exhaust pipes. What is it that I can do to eliminate the vibration?
blk4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine wenton pretty easy and I use a FUMOTO valve to make the oil change EASY/NO MESS !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk4x4 View Post
I installed the Rockhard JK oil/ Trans/ skids along with the gas tank I am getting a lot of vibration from the exhaust pipes. What is it that I can do to eliminate the vibration?
It’s a hit or miss with the Rock Hard skid you installed. The later skids started shipping with a spacer to lower the skid about a 1/8 or ľ inch, can’t remember which.

For my ’08 JKUR I had one of the early skids w/o the spacer but made my own. I had to lower the rear of the skid a ľ inch and also cut completely off the part that attached to the left side of the frame to keep the exhaust from hitting.

Did yours ship with the spacer and if so how thick is it?

EDIT: In post #2 above I showed how I had to modify part of the skid. I ultimately ended up removing that whole part.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Rubina
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bump to this thread.

I am hearing for the first time about the vibration in the exhaust with the Rock Hard... this is exactly my current complaint. At very low RPM's there is a vibration that is easily heard and drives me nuts!!!

I had it installed by a shop, do you think I need to look at that? Is it an easy fix? anyone had this same problem?

I have a '08 2dr JK, stock exhaust and the heavy-duty cross-member from Clayton, the gas skid and the trans skid. Planning on a evap relocation and the oil pan skid.

Thanks for your help!
Rubina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I used a telescoping mirror and flashlight, something similar to this to see where contact was being made. It would be best if you took a look yourself if you plan on taking it back to the installer, that way youíll have first-hand knowledge if it is indeed the source of the vibration.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.