JKU Springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JKU Springs

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
wranglernut14
2012 JK Wrangler 

JKU Springs

I think that i saw somewhere that if you put JKU springs in a Jk it will give you a small lift and do y'all see any problems with this?

wranglernut14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

It all depends on which springs you have, and which springs you change to.

There is no difference between JK and JKU springs, only in the spring rates themselves

There will be a tag on the top coils of the springs, with the last two digits ranging from 13-19 upfront, and 53-60 outback.

A VERY generalized statement is that each numerically higher number could provide about 1/3" lift vs the previous number

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
wranglernut14
2012 JK Wrangler 

how do i find that out? i have a 2012 Sport
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglernut14 View Post
how do i find that out? i have a 2012 Sport
For starters, go crawl under your jeep, and look for the little white (with a color stripe) tag attached towards the top of your front and rear springs, write those numbers down

Hoss

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
wranglernut14
2012 JK Wrangler 

52126314AC and its a brown tag
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

So your fronts are 14's, And what about out back?

Hoss

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
For starters, go crawl under your jeep, and look for the little white (with a color stripe) tag attached towards the top of your front and rear springs, write those numbers down

Hoss
you have the front and rear springs labeled wrong there.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post

you have the front and rear springs labeled wrong there.
Yep, just noticed that myself :

Hoss

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Havoc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Does the ride quality get stiff? Harsh?

Today I added some nice RubiRed takeoff shocks to my 2013 Commando Green Sport S... now, about this coil spring swap stuff.

I have a light Jeep at the moment, no additional armor yet and the backseat is out. It's usually fairly empty as a daily driver. I'll load it up pretty good for camping trips and trail running and bagging some mountain passes this summer.

Eventually I plan on bumpers F/R and rock rails, prolly something underneath also. This will all add weight.

I feel pretty committed to running 32's... think that's fine for what I like to do. I had the stock SRA's switched to Silent Armor at the time of purchase. I like the tires so far. I don't plan to lift for tire clearance reasons...

anyway

I scored a set of 18/60 coils when I got the shocks. My current coils are 14/56.

If I install the 18/60's I'll prolly get some umm, errr, Loft?

For those who have done this, how would you describe the difference in ride? Any thoughts or comments appreciated
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
Today I added some nice RubiRed takeoff shocks to my 2013 Commando Green Sport S... now, about this coil spring swap stuff.

I have a light Jeep at the moment, no additional armor yet and the backseat is out. It's usually fairly empty as a daily driver. I'll load it up pretty good for camping trips and trail running and bagging some mountain passes this summer.

Eventually I plan on bumpers F/R and rock rails, prolly something underneath also. This will all add weight.

I feel pretty committed to running 32's... think that's fine for what I like to do. I had the stock SRA's switched to Silent Armor at the time of purchase. I like the tires so far. I don't plan to lift for tire clearance reasons...

anyway

I scored a set of 18/60 coils when I got the shocks. My current coils are 14/56.

If I install the 18/60's I'll prolly get some umm, errr, Loft?

For those who have done this, how would you describe the difference in ride? Any thoughts or comments appreciated
Going from 14/56 to 18/60, you should get close to 1 1/2" of increased ride height (call it what you want).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Havoc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
Going from 14/56 to 18/60, you should get close to 1 1/2" of increased ride height (call it what you want).
Yea, I might get kinda dizzy up there

I've been reading these coil swap threads for awhile and i've seen some folks get persnikkety when the coil swap gets called a lift. I'm sure when I add some weight in armor and load it up that some of that 1 1/2" will drop.

I don't plan on the armor until next spring due to finances, so I was wondering if there are any bad effects or unintended consequences in swapping the coils now.

Is it an improvement over what I have now?
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea, I might get kinda dizzy up there

I've been reading these coil swap threads for awhile and i've seen some folks get persnikkety when the coil swap gets called a lift. I'm sure when I add some weight in armor and load it up that some of that 1 1/2" will drop.

I don't plan on the armor until next spring due to finances, so I was wondering if there are any bad effects or unintended consequences in swapping the coils now.

Is it an improvement over what I have now?
Yeah, I come from the TJ forum. Given the age of some of them (e.g., mine which was almost 16 yrs old), the springs sag so there's a perpetual "discussion" as to that is "lift" vs return to stock ride height.

As far as unintended consequences... You are taking springs that were designed for a JKU and putting them in a JK, so... On the one hand, they were designed, by the manufacturer, to go into the components in which you are installing them (they were just designed for a vehicle that's ~600 lbs heavier). On the other hand, you are changing stock ride height, so there will be little things that will have to adjust (e.g., your axles will shift 1/4" or so, your shocks may not be the ideal length), but given the fact that we're talking about less than 2" (or 2" max, given some reports), the unintended consequences will be minimal and mostly cosmetic.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Havoc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cosmetic... as in, "Do these coils make my tires look small"?

I think I'm gonna stand pat and hold the coils for now

Thanks!
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Cosmetic... as in, "Do these coils make my tires look small"?

I think I'm gonna stand pat and hold the coils for now

Thanks!
I meant more along the lines of "your axle appears to be shifted 1/8" to the left", but depending on the tires, yes, they may look smaller.
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Havoc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
I meant more along the lines of "your axle appears to be shifted 1/8" to the left", but depending on the tires, yes, they may look smaller.
If that happened, is that what a trackbar adjustment would fix?

Just starting to try to figure all this out and wondering if an actual lift would be a better plan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.