JKU rear seat question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JKU rear seat question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
priell3
2014 KL Cherokee 

There is nothing there to allow the seat to fold down over the driveshaft tunnel.

I have a 2007. My son is 6' 1", 180 lbs. and sits back there all the time, often in the middle. The seat has held up fine. If you are concerned, stuff an old pillow under there. Just remember to remove it when you fold the seat down.

2003 KJ
2000 XJ
priell3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #17
Bassman2
2009 JK Wrangler 

4 doors here!
Bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yep, as indicated above, it's normal and it's like that for a reason. If there were supports under it, then people would complain because the seat wouldn't fold flat enough for them. You can't please everyone.

FWIW, I've got a 4dr and my 3 kids sit back there all the time. Granted they're only 4, 7, and 9, but the 9 year old ends up in the middle because the two younger ones are in a car seat and booster seat, respectively. I'm not sure why any full grown adult would want to sit back there for very long. Yeah, it's better than a 2dr, but it still ain't he roomiest back seat out there.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #19
WXman
2001 WJ 

I'm not understanding how the lack of any kind of support whatsoever directly under the seat foam has anything to do with the seats folding down. If the seat cushion stays flat when you fold the back down now, then it would also stay flat if it had wire under it for support which takes up about 1/16" of an inch.

I think it's just Jeep cutting corners, and they really need to quit cutting corners. It makes no sense to purposefully build a Wrangler with 5 seatbelts, and then leave out the proper seat support for the 5th person. That's just retarded.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #20
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

How is a 1/16" wire gonna add support? What're you gonna attach it to?

You say, "they really need to quit cutting corners". Or what? People are gonna quit buying Wranglers? I doubt that...
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #21
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

While I understand the complaint that it should've been designed better, and that corners were probably cut to save on expense, It is kinda unecessary to complain. Don't most people that buy Jeep Wranglers, modify their rig to suit their personal preferences anyway? Just modify the seat to suit what works for you. Your a Jeeper man . We overcome obsticles and fabricate things to fix problems. Figure out what will make it the way you want it, and fix it.
It's been said many times, "real Jeeps are built, not bought" .
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
While I understand the complaint that it should've been designed better, and that corners were probably cut to save on expense, It is kinda unecessary to complain. Don't most people that buy Jeep Wranglers, modify their rig to suit their personal preferences anyway? Just modify the seat to suit what works for you. Your a Jeeper man . We overcome obsticles and fabricate things to fix problems. Figure out what will make it the way you want it, and fix it.
Building a Jeep to finally run that rocky black trail is alot different from fixing Chrysler's cutting corners. I have no idea what the problem with the seat is since I've never been in a Unlimited yet, but if the problem is that Chrysler is skiping on basic form and function IS an issue. I wouldn't use the "built not bought" argument in this case.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #23
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
How is a 1/16" wire gonna add support? What're you gonna attach it to?

You say, "they really need to quit cutting corners". Or what? People are gonna quit buying Wranglers? I doubt that...

Look at all the other seats in every vehicle made. They have a mesh of wiring to support the seat foam. What I'm saying is that 1/16" of an inch of wiring support is not going to affect the ability of the seat to fold. The only thing we're seeing here is Jeep cutting corners.

What's going to happen if they don't stop cutting corners? Well, they are racking up complaints daily about all the issues with the new JK. So yeah, they will turn off some customers and the rest will continue to bi*ch until they do it right. So... like I said, they really need to just stop cutting corners.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #24
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post

I agree with you, to a point. But this isn't a XJ I picked up for $3K. This is a $28,000 vehicle with 540 miles on the odometer. If nothing else, my family of 5 should at least be able to sit in it in comfort and SAFETY without one kid bouncing up and down like he's sitting in a hammock. There's a big difference here. Will I mod it and fix it? Yes. Should I have to? No.
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #25
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Look at all the other seats in every vehicle made. They have a mesh of wiring to support the seat foam. What I'm saying is that 1/16" of an inch of wiring support is not going to affect the ability of the seat to fold. The only thing we're seeing here is Jeep cutting corners.

What's going to happen if they don't stop cutting corners? Well, they are racking up complaints daily about all the issues with the new JK. So yeah, they will turn off some customers and the rest will continue to bi*ch until they do it right. So... like I said, they really need to just stop cutting corners.
Ok, so you'll attach a wire of some sort to the right side of the seat, but what're you gonna attach it to on the left side? As said in your original gripe, there's no frame of any kind there to support it.
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #26
WXman
2001 WJ 

Actually, if you look up under there, there is a steel bar on both sides of that center seating position. What Jeep should have done (and I will do) is use the exact same support from the other seats up under the center seat. I'll attach it to the steel rods that run down either side of the center of the seat. The trick is going to be finding the proper wiring...maybe the body shops will have something laying around or maybe I'll hit a junkyard and find some out of another vehicle that I can cut to size.
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #27
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree with you, to a point. But this isn't a XJ I picked up for $3K. This is a $28,000 vehicle with 540 miles on the odometer. If nothing else, my family of 5 should at least be able to sit in it in comfort and SAFETY without one kid bouncing up and down like he's sitting in a hammock. There's a big difference here. Will I mod it and fix it? Yes. Should I have to? No.
I can agree with that.
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #28
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually, if you look up under there, there is a steel bar on both sides of that center seating position. What Jeep should have done (and I will do) is use the exact same support from the other seats up under the center seat. I'll attach it to the steel rods that run down either side of the center of the seat. The trick is going to be finding the proper wiring...maybe the body shops will have something laying around or maybe I'll hit a junkyard and find some out of another vehicle that I can cut to size.
If you have no luck at a body shop, you might try a furniture re-upholstery shop, or a trim shop. They use wires like that in matresses too, so that may be another option if you have one where you live.
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #29
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
With all due respect to a fellow Jeeper, maybe you should have made sure everything would suit your family's needs BEFORE you wrote a $28,000 check.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #30
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

JKs only have seating for four I believe, JKUs have five.

You have me curious now too...I'll go check mine.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.