JKU rear seat question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JKU rear seat question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

JKU rear seat question

My kid sat in the center position of the rear seat this weekend and said it felt like he was going to "fall through" the seat. I checked, and there is ZERO support for that seating position under the seat frame. You look up under there and there is wire support for the two outboard seating positions, but the center position is just foam covered in cloth! NOTHING there to support the occupant. WTH? Is this normal? Now that somebody sat there, you can see a visible indention in the bench seat.

WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

didn't realize there were 3 seatbelts in the back.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

sounds to me like something is missing. I have had 3 teenage sons riding in my back seat and had no problem. Have the dealer look at it.
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
02 Grand
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have noticed the same thing in mine. The middle section has almost no support. Wonder if the seat changed for the 11's?
In the past: 05 WK, 02 WJ
02 Grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Just got back from the dealer and the other JKs are the same way. So they are saying it's odd, but "normal". I told them that's fine...when the fabric rips it's under warranty.
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
reznik572
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
didn't realize there were 3 seatbelts in the back.
The 2011's have 3 seat belts in the back.

I just went out and checked mine, only had it a month and havent had anyone sit in the back. I've got leather seats and mine also dips down when I get in the back middle seat, i'm 180 lbs but still, bit of a useless seat if it can't support an average size person let alone a kid...

Kinda disapointed, not that I'll ever sit back there but still. Looks like a bit of design flaw.
reznik572 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Don't worry too much, my brother has three sons from 8-14 and his rear middle seat is still fine after three years.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
reznik572
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPJ View Post
Don't worry too much, my brother has three sons from 8-14 and his rear middle seat is still fine after three years.

JPK
I have a feeling something changed in the 2011 model, it doesnt look or feel like it'll hold up well over time at all, not if its used a bit.
Unread 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 2011 is the same way. It feels like a wire support or two are missing from under the cushion.

I'm going to try securing it better with some heavy seat type wire.
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just went out and checked mine cause yall made me curious. Mine is the same way. There is no support under the middle cushion. It sunk down like a hammock when I sat on it. So I guess the 2011 isn't different.
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. In my first week of JKU ownership, my rear seat has turned into a sink hole, my instruments can't be calibrated for my 31" tires, and my temp display is 8 degrees too hot while cruising and my dealership is being a real d*** about helping me with any of it. Not getting off to a good start. Did I mention that my fender flares are all stained from being in mud ONE time even though I washed the Jeep with soap and water the same day?

For $28K, you should be 100% happy....at least for the first week.
Unread 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Just called the Jeep hotline to file a complaint. I do worry that over time it may split the cloth. Not to mention it isn't comfortable to sit there, and honestly it's not as safe either. And I specifically bought the JKU because it had FIVE seatbelts for my family. So yeah... I complained and it's being sent to the engineering dept.

I wish a lot of other people would call in and let them know they aren't happy with it. Maybe the more calls that they get the more likely they'll be to fix what is a very simple design flaw.
Unread 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
reznik572
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Just called the Jeep hotline to file a complaint. I do worry that over time it may split the cloth. Not to mention it isn't comfortable to sit there, and honestly it's not as safe either. And I specifically bought the JKU because it had FIVE seatbelts for my family. So yeah... I complained and it's being sent to the engineering dept.

I wish a lot of other people would call in and let them know they aren't happy with it. Maybe the more calls that they get the more likely they'll be to fix what is a very simple design flaw.
I was just packing my JKU full of tons of gear for a trip this weekend and using every last bit of space I could get. Under that middle seat I had stuffed in a sleeping bag really tight and that fixed the issue. I'm sure you could find something even better to jam under it that would fix it right up, just needs some support under it. Just don't forget to remove whatever it is before you fold the seats up. I know we shouldnt have to do these things, but whatever works, works for me.
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
Bassman2
2009 JK Wrangler 

2009 here and no support in the middle rear seat too! If I sat there for a 4+hour trip I guarantee the seat would be f'd up. I'm only 195.

What's the number to call?
Bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
reznik572
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman2 View Post
2009 here and no support in the middle rear seat too! If I sat there for a 4+hour trip I guarantee the seat would be f'd up. I'm only 195.

What's the number to call?
Now this gets me a bit confused. I had a 09 JK before my '11 JKU and the rear seats are completely different and the support under them. The JK seats were solid across with the 2 seatbelts and zero room for any kind of storge under them while the JKU has the missing support in the moddle and lots of under the seat room.

EDIT: Bassman, are you in a JK or JKU? that'll clear up my confusion!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.