JKU Future Lift... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JKU Future Lift...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
BlackRUB1C0N
2010 JK Wrangler 

JKU Future Lift...

Gents,

So Iíve had my 2010 JKU Rubi for a little over 2 years now and itís time to pull the trigger on a lift/tires/bumpers. After having lurked the forums and read the many arguments/discussions of whoís lift is better, will it fit/rub, mine is bigger than yours, etc., Iím relatively convinced Iím going with the 3.5Ē RK X-Factor Mid Arm kit/w either Bilstein 5100ís or Fox res. shocks (Quadratec), 35x12.5x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers/wheels with 4.52Ē backspacing (still pricing) and R-SE bumpers (Quadratec).

That having been said, Iím trying to plan this out from ~7,500 miles away with limited internet and a SAT Phone. In an ideal world, Iíll be able to come home in January to a six pack and a garage full of toys, just waiting to be installed (high hopes, I know). Which is why Iím here, leaning on the expertise of those having already ďbeen there, done thatĒ and are running/installed similar, if not identical setups. So on to my list of questions/concerns: Are limiting straps necessary (per RKís installation instructions)? And is it necessary to bolt AND weld the track bar relocation bracket into place, or can that wait until my buddy with a welder gets back a month after I do? And what bump-stop length is recommended with the above set-up? And what, in general, am I overlooking or will need to insure a complete install?

(FYSA, Jeep is my DD, but I wheel it on the bomb range and plan on wheeling it up in Colorado when I (hopefully) get stationed up there. Not looking to go crazy, but very capable, if that makes sense)

Thanks in advance guys. I appreciate any assistance/opinions/recommendations.

Cheers,

-JD

BlackRUB1C0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

That should make a fine trail rig for what you have in mind, but fair warning from personal experince, as soon as you wheel the 35s you'll want 37s. You'll need to re-gear either way. One of our club members has that RK suspension with Fox's and other than a couple installation errors by his installer that had to be sorted he's been way happy with it. Provided you get them torqued to spec you can bolt the track bar relo brackets in place with no issues, but naturally having them welded in will be a bit more secure. (You're reminding me I've had "weld rear track bar bracket" on the punch list for a year now!) I've always found it a bit odd that RK doesn't supply bump stops with their kits, but pretty easy to determine the right length. When you get the control arms and track bars on, and before you install the springs, install the shocks and carefully lift the axle on both sides with two floor jacks until something (housing, drag link, etc.) contacts the frame or other component, or, the shocks bottoms out. Hold it there and measure from the upper jounce tube (don't measure the yellow foam bump stop cushion) to the bump stop pad on the axle, then add maybe 1/2' - 1". Do this front & rear. That's the length of your bump stops. Many good bump stop options out there to choose from. I've been running Teraflex Speed Bumps for a year now and they're amazing. Pricey.

BTW, get home soon, and thank you for your service!
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I did the same thing last time I was deployed

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/i...-jkur-1292999/

I ended up going with the 5.5" mid arm kit and using 3.5" springs because I basically got the high steer kit and the drag flip kit for stupid cheap and I have the option to go up some day without buying a whole new kit. If you go that route though I might recommend not the 5.5" brake lines. They are a tag long. I really like the ride of the kit and it handles nice. I went with the RRD shock that RK makes. These are nice but are more on the firm side. All my brackets got welded on because I sleeved my front axle.

But that 3.5" lift fits 37s no problem if you decide to jump, just add flat fenders And you won't have to regear right away from what I understand with the pentagod motor. I drove mine around with the stock 4.10s with the 37s for acouple months. It wasn't too bad but I didn't like the HWY at all.

If you haven't yet give Jason over at Krawloff-road a shout. He is the one that set me up and took care of me while I was overseas. Stay safe and come home soon. I might see ya out there I leave the 6th of Nov.
picture3.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
BlackRUB1C0N
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, gears/37ís are on the list, but I have to SLOWLY work up to that... It took 6 months to convince my wife that by lifting the Jeep and throwing 35's under there, it actually made it SAFER, and our 9 month old daughter would be better off in the Jeep than in her 4Runner (I made a very convincing argument that Iím sure she didnít believe, but agreed to it anyway). I figured I could get by for a few months and then sneak some gears under there, then 37s like you guys said.
Hokies -Thatís a good looking ride you got there. You going out for 6 months or a year?

And thanks for the bump stop adviceSoK66. I kind of figured for $1600 theyíd be included in the kitÖ You werenít lying about those TF Speed Bumps being pricey!

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it!
BlackRUB1C0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm going out for a year. Thanks man and I think its safer by far. I got rear ended at 40 and it chipped the paint on my bumper and totaled the other truck.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.