JKU 37"s 2.5 spring lift. rubbing HARD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JKU 37"s 2.5 spring lift. rubbing HARD

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
You also do not have enough wheel backspace. factory wheels at 6.75" backspace - 1.5" spacer only gives you 5.25 backspace. With 37" tires you should have 4-4.5" backspace. This will help give you room to flex + bumpstops to help protect inner fenders.
Oops, I forgot that I am running wheels with 4.5" BS + 1.5" wheel spacers (=3.00" BS).

As per bump stops, you need to flex your rig to determine how much YOU need. Each rig is different (weight, suspension kit differences, etc). I'm running 3" in the rear and 2" in the front, plus flat fenders, on only 2.5 RK Max Travel lift. YMMV.

Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Factory is 6.25" or at least it is on the Rubicon wheels. so he's at 4.75". I went with 1.75" spacers so I could get to 4.5" with my 35s. They still rubbed the track bar without a steering stop adjustment.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast
Factory is 6.25" or at least it is on the Rubicon wheels. so he's at 4.75". I went with 1.75" spacers so I could get to 4.5" with my 35s. They still rubbed the track bar without a steering stop adjustment.
I run 4.5" BS with true 35" Pitbull Rockers and have no rub with no adjustment to the steering stops so maybe your Rubicon rims are not 6.25" BS.
Point is you will need less then 4.5" BS especially with 37" tires if you don't want the front to rub the control arms.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmin View Post
I did read some of the linked thread. It is quite extensive and I will defiantly be visiting it again soon.

Good news though! I went ahead and took another 1/2" off of the seam and I no longer have the rubbing. I do not think it will be enough when I get offroad, however I can drive it on the road again.
Yup read that thread and do the things that we did to get the height of your bumpstops. If you are running stock fenders my guess is that you will need atleast 4" in the rear (I have 3" on 35's), and 3.5" up front.

I also agree that you need new wheels to be running those tires. You have way to much backspacing to run a 37x12.5.

If you want to use less bumpstop the only way I see you being able to do that is to get flat fenders AND new wheels with 4.5" of backspacing. If you do this you will be able to run 2.5" up front and probably 3" or maybe 2.5" in the rear. I had 3" because of my fenders and would probably be at 1-2" with flat fenders.

As for the people saying you have to lift more, I would disagree. You will still rub like crazy offroad unless you do what I said above. The best way to be sure is to follow what was done in that thread.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #20
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmin View Post
I figured order some new shocks and maybe lift it another 2" with a spacer kit

Lift height alone does not give you the ability to run larger tires. Increasing the ride height with a coil spacer alone will not increase your tire clearance. A suspension lift does not increase tire clearance without lengthening your bump stops.

Body lifts, Bump stops, flat flares, and trimming all increase your tire clearance.

Body lifts, flat flares, and trimming all increase tire clearance without decreasing the amount of suspension travel you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
You also do not have enough wheel backspace. factory wheels at 6.75" backspace - 1.5" spacer only gives you 5.25 backspace. With 37" tires you should have 4-4.5" backspace. This will help give you room to flex + bumpstops to help protect inner fenders.

Factory wheels have 6.25" of Backspacing. The 1.5" spacer will put him at 4.75" of backspacing. Less backspacing will require less bump stop or tire clearance though. Lucky for him the BFG KM2's run as small a they do.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE
Factory wheels have 6.25" of Backspacing. The 1.5" spacer will put him at 4.75" of backspacing.
NP Thanks I stand corrected. NTL 4.75" is still not enough backspace, especially for 37x12.50.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
wingit

I have seen the pinch seem cut more aggressive somi would start there. Since you live in Illinois and the isn't much rock crawling I would also suggest a small body lift. The closest legal off road trails is the cliffs, the badlands, and like you mentioned the dunes. Both have more hill climbing or off camber wheeling. Keeping your center of gravity low with the body lift will help you more in this neck of the woods rather than going with a larger spring lift which may also require new driveshafts.

I am sure I am going to get body lift haters but like any tool they have their place.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
I am sure I am going to get body lift haters but like any tool they have their place.

They do have plenty of haters. Most don't understand how they work with the suspension and the benefits they have. Some just don't like the way they look. A body lift works well with a suspension lift, especially when stuffing the most tire possible with the least amount of lift.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #24
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Body lift on a JK like OMGZ you NEWBZ!

Yes i think a 1' -1.25" body lift would benefit you incredibly.
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #25
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Body lift on a JK like OMGZ you NEWBZ!

Yes i think a 1' -1.25" body lift would benefit you incredibly.
And he will probably still need more bumpstop.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #26
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
And he will probably still need more bumpstop.
Agreed.

37's with flat flares and a body lift, 0"-1" Front and 2.5" rear extended bump stops will be needed.

37's with flat flares and no body lift, 1.5"-2" front and 3.5" rear extended bump stops are needed.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

You always need more bump stop.... or cow bell

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.