JKU 37"s 2.5 spring lift. rubbing HARD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JKU 37"s 2.5 spring lift. rubbing HARD

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

JKU 37"s 2.5 spring lift. rubbing HARD

So about 2 weeks ago I put on a set of 37" KM2s on my JKU (stock wheels). It is lifted 2.5" on a rough country spring lift with the rough country shocks. I also installed bushwacker flat fenders and 1.5" wheel spacers. I also have trimmed the pinch seam.

I went to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes last weekend and with a trailer and weight noticed that I started to rub the fender right above where I trimmed the pinch seam. It rubbed the entire trip and when i got home and took the trailer off, it still rubbed even on the slightest turns and small bumps on the road.

What is my best resolve for this?

I figured order some new shocks and maybe lift it another 2" with a spacer kit

photo.jpg

photo-1-.jpg

- Smittybilt CRES Cargo Net
Kmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Neither of those will help when you flex, you'll still stuff the tire into it. I'd say you need to cut more or install bigger bump stops.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

You could get longer rear arms and push the back axle back a little to clear? You could lift it a little more but you will need longer/taller bumpstops or it will keep happening.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I cut my front pinch seam about 3" forward, and up about 2.5".
Then I trimmed the rear pinch seam about 1" rearward, and up about 3".
Absolutely no rubbing on the pinch seams.
And I can stuff those babies into the wheel wells!

I'm running 2" bumpstops in front, and 3" in the rear.
37's, RK 2.5" Max Travel lift.
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmin View Post
What is my best resolve for this?

I figured order some new shocks and maybe lift it another 2" with a spacer kit

What you do all depends on how deep your pockets are. As mentioned the cheapest way to stop the rubbing would be to install longer bumper stops to prevent your tire from being stuffed so far up but then again you mentioned you were rubbing when you were towing and after you disconnected the trailer. I can understand rubbing while you are towing because the trailer (depending on weight) is pulling the rear down but rubbing when not towing? Maybe because the plastic fender is pulled down closer to the tire due to the damage?? Were you rubbing before towing??

Sure, another 2" of suspension with new shocks would take care of the rubbing problem (most probably) but now your looking at 4.5" of total lift which I believe you'll run into more money for more mod's. Stuffing 37's under there is not a cheap thing to do IMO and not only that your pushing the lmits of your axle integrity/strength. I didn't look at your profile closely but I hope those axles are 44's but I do remember you mentioning your gearing is 3:21? WOW, with those tires and towing you must be in a flat land area. I know this hasn't helped you out much but do alot of homework so that it doesn't get to be an expensive nightmare without you expecting it. Towing with 37's and 2.5" lift with 3:21's, hmmmm I gotta go drink a beer...
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

I rubbed a little before the trailing but that was only taking sharp turns. It became much worse after the trip. I think with this new info I am going to trim the seams a little more and purchase a set of bump stops. The rear is the only place where I am having a rubbing issue but most likely will do them all the way around.

I love the 37s but trust me I know mistakes have been made by not doing more research. This is the first jeep I've been moding myself.
I do live in Chicago so it is flat and I only get offroad every so often. I will say it is not an ideal set up but the 37's haven't made it to much of a dog. It still handles and drives very well. ( i drove a 4cyl TJ with 33s before this and that thing was awful)

Thanks for all the help guys!
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

follow this procedure:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...arned-1513528/

he found 2.5" bumpstop extensions were needed for the front and 3" bumpstop extensions in rear....for 35s.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
follow this procedure:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...arned-1513528/

he found 2.5" bumpstop extensions were needed for the front and 3" bumpstop extensions in rear....for 35s.
x2, heck of a good write up and this will give you an idea what you have to play with. I don't know how long you have had the lift installed but maybe when you were towing it got your springs settled and hopefully they wont sag anymore. If you can make the bump stops work then that's the way to go. Don't play with increasing the lift because you may be opening up a can of worms unless you have the $$$ to put into it.

One recommendation I have is if this is your first Jeep then before you go out and buy and install anything that modifies it get on Forums like this and ask who has done this before and get the lessons learned. We have all pretty much been there and done that and this stuff is just darn too expensive to learn the hard way. Believe me, I have learned the hard way too many times over. I can personally say that Forum's have saved me some cash and again has pissed me off. When I thought I had my heart set on something I had a reality check. Good luck and post what you do and how it works out for you. You never know, there's someone else out there with 37's and rubbing...
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok maybe someone can tell me how adding bumpstops will work...

Since I am sitting very close to the pinch seam already, I would have to add bumpstops pretty much to stop the upward travel where it is right now (in pictures). Wouldn't that mean I have no upward travel at all? Which would make for a very bumpy ride?
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

There is some good advice here...

Another thing is the Rough Country coils. They don't give you enough height to run that large of a tire without some major issues that you are having. More cutting, more bumpstops (yes less uptravel), and more coil height can all be your friend here.

We have a JKU on 40's with 3.5" of lift. We have cut a TON in the rear but we can stuff our 40's in with flat fenders without to much issues...

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Since I am sitting very close to the pinch seam already, I would have to add bumpstops pretty much to stop the upward travel where it is right now (in pictures). Wouldn't that mean I have no upward travel at all? Which would make for a very bumpy ride?
no magic, you understand it correctly. but you do have room to do a little pinch seam trimming that will help greatly. If it was me I'd cut this much if not more and then seal the end of the seam.
photo.jpg

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You need 3" bumpstops front and rear
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
did you read the linked thread?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
Kmin
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did read some of the linked thread. It is quite extensive and I will defiantly be visiting it again soon.

Good news though! I went ahead and took another 1/2" off of the seam and I no longer have the rubbing. I do not think it will be enough when I get offroad, however I can drive it on the road again.
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

You also do not have enough wheel backspace. factory wheels at 6.75" backspace - 1.5" spacer only gives you 5.25 backspace. With 37" tires you should have 4-4.5" backspace. This will help give you room to flex + bumpstops to help protect inner fenders.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.