JKS Quickr Disconnects - Popped Tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JKS Quickr Disconnects - Popped Tire

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
churchmd
2009 JK Wrangler 

JKS Quickr Disconnects - Popped Tire

Just installed the JKS Quickr disconnects on my stock '08 Sahara 4DR. I really like them, but noticed when they were disconnected I heard tire rub if I turned the wheel all the way to one side or the other when off road on heavy terrain. And then it happened...my driver side front tire got cut by the disconnect's top post. I had the front sway bar pushed up and tie wrapped to the frame to keep that post out of the way, but it didn't help. Has anyone else had a problem with this or have suggestions on how I can fix it? Right now I don't even want to use the disconnects because I don't want to cut another tire. Thanks.

churchmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Holy crap. Sorry to hear about the tire man. What kind of tire did it slice open?

Thats the first I've heard of the JKS dicos doing that BTW.
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchmd View Post
Just installed the JKS Quickr disconnects on my stock '08 Sahara 4DR. I really like them, but noticed when they were disconnected I heard tire rub if I turned the wheel all the way to one side or the other when off road on heavy terrain. And then it happened...my driver side front tire got cut by the disconnect's top post. I had the front sway bar pushed up and tie wrapped to the frame to keep that post out of the way, but it didn't help. Has anyone else had a problem with this or have suggestions on how I can fix it? Right now I don't even want to use the disconnects because I don't want to cut another tire. Thanks.
Yes, I installed them and had the same problem. I took a grinder and trimmed the corner off the body mount on each side, primed the bare metal, allowing the sway bar to be raised another two inches and have had no problem since then. Sorry to hear about the tire...but this fix works great and has created no problems for me even under max articulation.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I know at full turn my tires slightly rub the stock sway links when disco'd. I push the bar all the way up as high as it goes.
Unread 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

i always leave the sway in it's normal position, which for my jeep is parallel. i have not had a problem yet. sorry about your misfortune, i hope it wasn't a 400.00 18" toyo 35.
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I tried that at first, but then noticed that, as the spacing between pins is about 3-1/2", as either wheel raised more than that distance, the two mounting pins would clank together...glad your setup works, but I did not like the clanking noise or potential damage to the pins.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yup happened to me last year.

I emailed JKS about it. THey then went and checked on their rig and verified that what I was telling them was correct. They then determined that the solution is to NOT tie your swaybar up at an angle (that just allows it to hit the tire). They now tell JK owners to tie the swaybar at a "neutral" position (IE: parallel to the ground). They determined by looking at their rig, that if the swaybar is up at an angle, it WILL hit the tire, even on lifted JK's. So I say that anyone that does swing the swaybar up, you have been lucky so far. But it can happen any time.

Here is how I always do it now (per my conversations with JKS), and never have any problems

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
churchmd
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'll try to tie in the neutral position. Had the tire and wheel warranty, so it was a free replacement! Just the stock 18" Sahara tires. So do you feel any rubbing with the sway bar in the neutral position? No problems at all this way so far huh?
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchmd View Post

I'll try to tie in the neutral position. Had the tire and wheel warranty, so it was a free replacement! Just the stock 18" Sahara tires. So do you feel any rubbing with the sway bar in the neutral position? No problems at all this way so far huh?
no problems at all, and I've done a lot of wheeling with it this way. Worst case scenario is the zip tie breaks

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
churchmd
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like the answer to me! Thanks again for the detailed pics. I really appreciate your help!
Unread 05-09-2008, 01:41 AM   #11
jeffsjk

Wow, So let me get this straight. You paid 150.00 for a swaybar disco set up, Blew a tire and they just said to tie it up differently Guess I will continue to disco my stock bar for free before I leave the house for the trails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwGPXeZhKjE
jeffsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsjk View Post
Wow, So let me get this straight. You paid 150.00 for a swaybar disco set up, Blew a tire and they just said to tie it up differently Guess I will continue to disco my stock bar for free before I leave the house for the trails.
wow dude... You really have a thing against disco's and/or how other people chose to spend their money.

FWIW- the time I popped my sidewall, I was bone stock, I was not using the JKS's yet- I had them sitting on my kitchen table waiting to install them. After I popped my sidewall, I was nervous about installing the JKS, which is why I contacted them. They were completely unaware of the swaybar issue until I contacted them.

So... It is not an issue with the JKS disco's, it is an issue with putting your swaybar up. It needs to be down parallel to the ground.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by N2rock; 05-09-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
jeffsjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
wow dude... You really have a thing against disco's and/or how other people chose to spend their money.

FWIW- the time I popped my sidewall, I was bone stock, I was not using the JKS's yet- I had them sitting on my kitchen table waiting to install them. After I popped my sidewall, I was nervous about installing the JKS, which is why I contacted them. They were completely unaware of the swaybar issue until I contacted them.

So... It is not an issue with the JKS disco's, it is an issue with putting your swaybar up. It needs to be down parallel to the ground.
I'm sorry if I came off offensive. I was laughing at the fact that a company that sells an item for such an inflated price wouldn't try to fix the problem. As far as how you spend your money, I don't care. You can spend 1,000.00 on a disco set up for all I care. I have 5.00 dollars into mine and it takes about 2 min. to disco. But I am curious as to how you punctured the sidewall of your tire with the stock swaybay and links?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwGPXeZhKjE
jeffsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsjk View Post
I'm sorry if I came off offensive. I was laughing at the fact that a company that sells an item for such an inflated price wouldn't try to fix the problem. As far as how you spend your money, I don't care. You can spend 1,000.00 on a disco set up for all I care. I have 5.00 dollars into mine and it takes about 2 min. to disco. But I am curious as to how you punctured the sidewall of your tire with the stock swaybay and links?
Remove the lower link bolt, and then swung the swaybar UP - which I thought was "out of the way". Well... Here's the combo that will pop.

Swaybar tied up in an upward position
steering turned all the way to the stops and the opposite side front tire up higher just a few inches. In my case, I was turned left to the stop, right front tire was up about 5" higher than the left. BANG! It took me and a buddy a while to figure out how it had happened. After we got the tire changed we decided to check the opposite side. And yes, under those same circumstances, the left tire also hit the swaybar/link.

Check it out if you're skeptical. Get a little bit of articulation, turn all the way to the stops (opposite of the wheel that is up higher), and have a look.

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.