JK Wrangler 2008 - Autolock doors problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Wrangler 2008 - Autolock doors problem

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

JK Wrangler 2008 - Autolock doors problem

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

My 2008 JK is doing some strange thing with the auto door locks (see video).

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ASP4e0nQpp4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/ASP4e0nQpp4

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ASP4e0nQpp4?rel=0

I hit the lock button on the key - and on the passenger front lock - it's like it tries to lock 10 times repeatedly really fast - and fails to lock.

I'm just seeing if anyone else has experienced this - and can fast track me to where to look?

I' have no idea if this is a wire, fuse, relay, mechanical .. or what?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Regards,
Ken

KenDWpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, that sucks!

I have to guess the power latch is going bad. About $80 for the part.

To see what's going on inside a half door google: K6860781
and you'll find the assembly instructions for the half door kits.

The half door is different from the full, of course, mainly in that there is no window to deal with. That and the half door latch isn't a power latch, not that there is much difference between the two types of latch.

At least you'll get an idea of what's going on inside the door.

good luck
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks "Jiblet"
That sounds like a good place to start. Should give me an idea of whats going on inside.

Thanks again.
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ah. I also found these posts that have some handy pictures of the door assembly for a 2008 JK.

I'll let you know how it goes. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if taking apart the door was necessary.

Thanks for your reply.

Ken

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13393
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

pic
door09.jpg  
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

and
door30.jpg   door23.jpg   door16.jpg   door14.jpg  
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also found this post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...007-jk-536543/

It looks to me like there are some differences with the various models and years - but the pain in the neck will likely be those "Push Pins"
45770d1225408879-how-do-you-remove-interior-door-plastic-panel-2007-jk-door-panel-removal-three.jpg  
Unread 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Are these the pictures from your Jeep? I can see the door latch has two cables for pull open and pull close actions, like in dereailer shifting mechanism on bicycle. Maybe the plastic end is stripped or the cable popped out of the retaining bracket.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatJK View Post
Are these the pictures from your Jeep? I can see the door latch has two cables for pull open and pull close actions, like in dereailer shifting mechanism on bicycle. Maybe the plastic end is stripped or the cable popped out of the retaining bracket.
No, those pictures are not from my jeep.

But I know what you are saying, and I was thinking the same thing. But I have the door panel off now - and can see those "cables" and they seem to be working fine. The noise is coming from near the latch mechanism - but it looks like I'll have to remove the "carrier plate" (inside the inside of the trim) to get a better look.

Sounds like it may be as "Jiblet" said - the "power Latch". I'm taking pics and videos as I go - and I'll post it as soon as I'm done. Right now I'm stuck on STEP #6 from this post http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...moval-1066985/ (that seems to explain it a little better)

There is this very tricky part of releasing the tabs from the window bracket in order to remove the "carrier plate" and allow you access to the other parts like the "power Latch".

I'm sure, once I get that far, that I'll be able to see what exactly is causing the problem.

Let ya know how it goes. It's getting cold her for the next few days - so I'll probably put the rest on the back burner for a while.

Regards,
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

I gotta say right now - I was expecting those "Push Pins" to be a nightmare, but they really weren't.
Typically I have had bad luck with those - breaking them or the part I was trying to remove - applying pressure in the wrong places. But these worked pretty good.

Having a diagram, knowing where each one was, and therefore where to place the pressure with the screwdriver to pop them out - made a difference I'm sure - but they also seem built better and the female end as well more durable.

I later read another post where the guy just yanks on the whole door panel and they all just pop out. Having seen these now - it's the way to go.

-_-
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
KenDWpg
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK - so I'm going to try to "Re-Ask" for help on this one again - if that doesn't work - I may just re-post this.
I got the door assembly apart (Thanks very much for the helpful photos and links on how to do that.) and still can't figure it out.

I've got a new video up -

Anyone know the solution to this?

Hi all,

I’m looking for help with this “chattering” malfunctioning door lock on my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. As you can see from the video, the lock on the passenger side will chatter and seemingly attempt to lock multiple times without success.

If I manually lock it - and then hit the lock button on the remote key - it will chatter and actually unlock the door I manually locked. Almost as if the mechanism was going the wrong way.

Occasionally it will successfully lock after the chattering.

I have been looking for the answer to this for about a month now. I had the door partially apart - and then had to tend to more pressing issues with the breaks on the Jeep. But now I’ve got the whole door assembly off - and am still not sure what the problem is. My next step is to dismantle the driver side and try to compare the two behaviours and see if I can get any clues that way.

I don’t know much about electronics, and worry that I am chasing down a mechanical problem that may be an electrical / relay problem.

Anyone had any experience with this? Maybe even on other vehicle types? I would appreciate any feedback that could help me isolate this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.