JK weaknesses? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK weaknesses?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 06-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #31
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, I wonder where the sensor is. My friend had an older MB (C230 I believe it was) that was always off. The one in my WK definitely isn't off by 10 degrees, but like I said, I've never really checked it so it's very possible that it's off by up to 5 degrees and I don't know it.

rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #32
Canadian-Bear
2011 JK Wrangler 

@ 75000km+, so far, I have very little to complain about with my 2009 JK. Besides needing to install wheel spacers, to allow for the proper spacing of the rims from the sway bar end link, replacing my windshield, and a couple of cosmetic fixes, my Jeep has been fun and will continue to be fun. That is, of course, until I trade her in for my next machine, in 2013....

/l ,[____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Canadian-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #33
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
According to certain ***holes who think they know everything, but don't have a clue, it's not bad.

According to people who DO have a clue, it seems that the JK outside temp is consistently SEVERAL degrees off. I've heard a lot of people with the same results as me. I've seen mine as much as 10 degrees too high while cruising down the road.

Compare this to the last three or four vehicles I've had which were SPOT ON, and yes... it's frustrating to say the least. But.. I'm not getting into this again. Some people don't care if they pay almost 30 Grand for a vehicle and things don't all work right as soon as you get it... and some people do. To each thier own. But bashing somebody with a literally brand new Jeep who isn't happy about something that obviously is not working properly... well that's just a ****** thing to do. I hear that's a problem in certain parts of the country though.
Hmmm, hit the button and change the display.

EDIT: okay, I must apologize for my comment. I feel that the Jeep Wrangler, specifically the JK/JKU, is thre perfect rig. Great off road, truly a blast to drive, and there is not a better feeling in a 4 wheeled vehicle than dropping the top and the half doors. It's a treat to drive. Technology has made it a bit more of a chore to deal with, but has increased it's off road potential to match. I'm impressed with my '07, soft top leaking, front carpet pulled, windshield wiper one speed, driving machine. Lifted and 37's and still goes down the boulevard with 1 hand on the wheel. Not a buckboard ride at all.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #34
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
According to certain ***holes who think they know everything, but don't have a clue, it's not bad.

According to people who DO have a clue, it seems that the JK outside temp is consistently SEVERAL degrees off. I've heard a lot of people with the same results as me. I've seen mine as much as 10 degrees too high while cruising down the road.

Compare this to the last three or four vehicles I've had which were SPOT ON, and yes... it's frustrating to say the least. But.. I'm not getting into this again. Some people don't care if they pay almost 30 Grand for a vehicle and things don't all work right as soon as you get it... and some people do. To each thier own. But bashing somebody with a literally brand new Jeep who isn't happy about something that obviously is not working properly... well that's just a ****** thing to do. I hear that's a problem in certain parts of the country though.
Take the time to run a thermometer beside the sensor like he did and then prove him wrong. Until then its just talk.

I didn't spend 30K for a thermometer, I just bought a Jeep that just happens to have this gizmo. On a good day, the temp can change +/- 10 degrees within 5 miles of my house. Can't compare that to the local radio station who is regularly 5degrees different then the surrounding area.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #35
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

There are a few other factors that affect thermometer performance. On very hot days I've seen the thermometer read 108 degrees. Takes some driving to cool off.

Also at trail speeds the thermometer doesn't read accurately as you must be going over 20 mph to receive accurate readings.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #36
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Weakness 1: Horribly under powered engine.
Weakness 2: Horrible 4 speed automatic. a 5 or 6 speed could of helped the horrible weakness #1.
Weakness 3: Horrible Throttle response. Fixing Weakness #1 might fix weakness #3.
In 67k miles, I've grown used to the things that really pi$$ed me off about a $32k Wrangler.
Wait until they upgrade the engine and transmission with something better suited to haul around 4300lbs.
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #37
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

sorry, another somewhat rhetorical question. If these 3.8L V6 engines are so bad, how in the world did anyone drive with the little 4cyl back in the day? haha
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #38
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, it's too bad you've come to that conclusion--

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Weakness 1: Horribly under powered engine.
Weakness 2: Horrible 4 speed automatic. a 5 or 6 speed could of helped the horrible weakness #1.
Weakness 3: Horrible Throttle response. Fixing Weakness #1 might fix weakness #3.
In 67k miles, I've grown used to the things that really pi$$ed me off about a $32k Wrangler.
Wait until they upgrade the engine and transmission with something better suited to haul around 4300lbs.
There's nothing underpowered about the engine and the 42rle auto isn't the best, but with a few mods--the engine/tranny offer a great combo-good mileage, more than enough power and a superb towing vehicle--

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #39
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh, it's too bad you've come to that conclusion--

There's nothing underpowered about the engine and the 42rle auto isn't the best, but with a few mods--the engine/tranny offer a great combo-good mileage, more than enough power and a superb towing vehicle--

JIMBO
What exactly would you tow with 200hp and a 4300lbs vehicle that would still be safe at speed? Please tell me what mods you've made and how much they've cost. I'm interested.
I'll agree that it doesn't get to bad mileage.
Chrysler had to get rid of those 3.8 engines before they were going to give us the Pentastar.
How did the Jeep get by with a 4 cylinder engine? A, the Wrangler was a lot lighter then and B, the engine was also underpowered but people are easily brainwashed. I drove a few before I bought the JK.
The JK could of been so much more when they launched them in 2007. Too bad that they had to wait 5 years to come up with a livable drive train.
If a Flash Pack would help, it would be the best $300.00 anyone could spend on the current JK.
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #40
wannahdawg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK87 View Post
Don't listen to him, he's our resident whiner. He goes all over the 'web and posts about how much Jeep's suck.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/other-vehicle-discussion/112337-2011-wrangler.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/other-vehicle-discussion/119391-brand-new-jeep-wrangler-hydro-locks-ten-inches-water.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/other-vehicle-discussion/115979-so-why-jeeps-built-like-crap.html

He's essentially a troll.

Anyhow, JK's are built decent for basic use and light trails. If you go on tough trails everyday, like every vehicle, you need to toughen it up.

You've mistaken me with some other guy, I've never been on an FJ forum, nor do i ever want to. I'm on some superduty forums, a couple harley forums, some jeep forums, and some volkswagen forums, but never been on a toyota FJ forum. the closest I have come to a toyota forum is when I owned my supra many years ago. I actually go around spouting off at how cool jeeps are, and that's the reason I've had numerous jeeps. and I'm definitely no troll...

and I looked up those posts, I can't view them while on the govt computer, and none of those post have my screen name in them.... which is the only screen name I use except on vwvortex, which is boosted05....so I'm really confused at who you think I am...
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #41
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I tow a 1000lb Off-Road trailer-at Freeway speeds in Nevada, (70 mph)-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
What exactly would you tow with 200hp and a 4300lbs vehicle that would still be safe at speed? Please tell me what mods you've made and how much they've cost. I'm interested.
I'll agree that it doesn't get to bad mileage.
Chrysler had to get rid of those 3.8 engines before they were going to give us the Pentastar.
How did the Jeep get by with a 4 cylinder engine? A, the Wrangler was a lot lighter then and B, the engine was also underpowered but people are easily brainwashed. I drove a few before I bought the JK.
The JK could of been so much more when they launched them in 2007. Too bad that they had to wait 5 years to come up with a livable drive train.
If a Flash Pack would help, it would be the best $300.00 anyone could spend on the current JK.
I've added aux cooling to the tranny and she operates at an avg 150 F On-road and A 200 F max Off-Road--hills/rocks/rocky hills-

She maintains 16.2 mpg towing on hiwy and if I drive like Grandma, between 18/19 mpg non-towing and I've got 2.5" lift and 33.2" (installed) tires-

I've regeard to 5.38 gears and my best hiwy mileage is 19.2 and that was at 60 mph O/D and O/D will stay locked in, unless I start climbing a mountain--same while towing--

Total costs for YUKON gears and (2) aux coolers/temp monitoring sys and Synergy Ball Joints--was $2400 bucks--

Can'tbeatem

JIMBO
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
wannahdawg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-Bear View Post
That is, of course, until I trade her in for my next machine, in 2013....

Dude, I hope those things are as good as they look when they finally come out...
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #43
wannahdawg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
I tow a 1000lb Off-Road trailer-at Freeway speeds in Nevada, (70 mph)-

I've added aux cooling to the tranny and she operates at an avg 150 F On-road and A 200 F max Off-Road--hills/rocks/rocky hills-

She maintains 16.2 mpg towing on hiwy and if I drive like Grandma, between 18/19 mpg non-towing and I've got 2.5" lift and 33.2" (installed) tires-

I've regeard to 5.38 gears and my best hiwy mileage is 19.2 and that was at 60 mph O/D and O/D will stay locked in, unless I start climbing a mountain--same while towing--

Total costs for YUKON gears and (2) aux coolers/temp monitoring sys and Synergy Ball Joints--was $2400 bucks--

Can'tbeatem

JIMBO
I'm thinking about doing a cooler to mine, my aux fan stays on the entire time we're on the trails at URE, so i know my tranny is baking too.... Here shortly I'm going to do a flush and when I do I'm going to add a cooler...

Something else I thought of on my way to work today, it's not a weakness it's more of an annoyance I guess: there's hardly any pockets or storage space. I have to show my ID card to get on base, which means my wallet is out, in the seat or in the net thingy under the climate controls. but my cell phone is in a cup holder, and that leaves no room for anything else. the center console has the pistol (when i'm not on base) and the GB has the owners manual, a sure fire, and that's it. With the doors off, the IPOD plugged in, cell phone charging, there's no room for anything to be secured... I'm thinking of buying one of those trays I see in Quadratec for the top of the dash, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.....yet.
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #44
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

In all seriousness though, I could sit here and pick apart the little things that were horribly thought out on the JKU all day long. AC vents that won't stay in position, steering wheel buttons that move the volume up multiple notches with one touch instead of one notch per touch, the rear seat thing which is a big one, the TC chatter and slippage trying to back into my driveway, the apparent gear whine while accelerating, the loose cup holders in the rear, the clunky gate shifter, the leaks, the engine/tranny/throttle pedal issues, etc. etc.. just the stuff Jeep could have spent a little time polishing up if they are going to charge this much money for the rig....

But the truth of the matter is that at the end of the day, there is still nothing quite like it. Having the top off and the wind blowing through the interior on a nice 80 degree day is just impossible to beat. And that's why I got it. It's practical with the four doors and usable cargo area, but it's still a FUN vehicle to drive and it's unparalleled. It's like a truck and a covertible sports car sort of blended together and that's just awesome. The YJ is FUN... but the JKU is more fun because now I can take everybody with me.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #45
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The little daystar panels are good for knick knacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannahdawg View Post
I'm thinking about doing a cooler to mine, my aux fan stays on the entire time we're on the trails at URE, so i know my tranny is baking too.... Here shortly I'm going to do a flush and when I do I'm going to add a cooler...

Something else I thought of on my way to work today, it's not a weakness it's more of an annoyance I guess: there's hardly any pockets or storage space. I have to show my ID card to get on base, which means my wallet is out, in the seat or in the net thingy under the climate controls. but my cell phone is in a cup holder, and that leaves no room for anything else. the center console has the pistol (when i'm not on base) and the GB has the owners manual, a sure fire, and that's it. With the doors off, the IPOD plugged in, cell phone charging, there's no room for anything to be secured... I'm thinking of buying one of those trays I see in Quadratec for the top of the dash, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money.....yet.

JIMBO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.