JK vs. FJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK vs. FJ

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 10-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #16
tolh13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: lake worth fl
Posts: 82
the 97-98 were some of the worst years for reliability on a wrangler.2007 fj and jk are both first year so thats a draw.I think you find that you will pay more for a fj and it will have more power and might be more reliable but parts will cost more and be a little harder to work on.now a jeep is a jeep,so who cares about the rest.


mark

__________________
2007 4 dr 6 sp Sahara
magna flow exhaust,airaid intake
2006 Saab 9-3 turbo
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #17
NapalmEnema
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolh13
the 97-98 were some of the worst years for reliability on a wrangler.2007 fj and jk are both first year so thats a draw.I think you find that you will pay more for a fj and it will have more power and might be more reliable but parts will cost more and be a little harder to work on.now a jeep is a jeep,so who cares about the rest.


mark

So what is the most reliable jeep years then?
NapalmEnema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #18
tolh13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: lake worth fl
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmEnema
So what is the most reliable jeep years then?
This is from consumer reports buying guide.wranglers to avoid are 95,97,98 and 2001.I had a 2001 with 48,000 on it when i get my 03 and it was rock solid for me.

they do not have a wrangler listed under reliable used cars.

we do know better then that.

consumer reports has never like jeep,dodge or Chrysler much. some of this has to do with the way the dealer takes care of the problem more then the car or jeep.

take as you will
mark
__________________
2007 4 dr 6 sp Sahara
magna flow exhaust,airaid intake
2006 Saab 9-3 turbo
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
ieatchickens
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 845
Is this still a Jeep forum?

Not one word of IFS vs solid axle?

Highway miles = IFS = smooth ride = FJ
Off Road = solid axle = bumpier ride =JK

Doesn't seem weird that Toyota uses the "J" and Jeep does not?
__________________
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #20
SecondTJ
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolh13
the 97-98 were some of the worst years for reliability on a wrangler.2007 fj and jk are both first year so thats a draw.
i would easily bet that first year reliabilty on a toyota is going to far surpas that of a jeep
__________________
'00 Sport. 5-speed, Detroit TrueTrac Dana 44 rear, Detroit TrueTrac front, 4.10's, 2" RE BB, OME shocks, 31" BFG MT, JKS Quicker Disco's, Borla

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #21
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk
 
neZZr's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AZ eventually...
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatchickens
Is this still a Jeep forum?

Not one word of IFS vs solid axle?

Highway miles = IFS = smooth ride = FJ
Off Road = solid axle = bumpier ride =JK

Doesn't seem weird that Toyota uses the "J" and Jeep does not?
What? JK doesn't have a "J" in it?
__________________
My Hummer Hole video
SIRA 4x4 club

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #22
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,011
Do you want 4 real doors? Go with the Jeep. Do you want a bloated 2 door go with the FJ. Do you want a small agile 2 door stay with the 2door Jeep.

Personally I really don't like the FJ. Its not true to the original FJs by any stretch of the imagination. I think of it more as a yuppie offroad wanna be like the H2. I don't think its really going to do to well off road. But then again, the long wheelbase on the 4 door Wrangler will prohibit it from going offroad as well. At least in the tight tree area I go.

Unless DiamlerChrysler really kicked it into gear with quality control the Toyota will be better quality. I love my 99 Sahara but the quality is laughable. I've done more repairs on the Jeep with 60,000 miles than I have on my Nissan with 150,000. But my Nissan is a car that never leaves the road too.

Tough call. Good luck. Either way you go though, I would keep the TJ. Neither is a replacement.
__________________
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #23
LEDFoot
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: DFW area, Texas
Posts: 762
If you ask me... a lot of the Japanese car reliability is mostly a marketing myth. I wouldn't let that be the determining factor in which vehicle you buy.
That said, I do like the FJ Cruiser, Toyota is one of the few car makers that have a long experience in making true off road vehicles.
After driving one (stick shift) it definately feels no more powerful than the JK (stick), and there isn't even an optional sunroof so if you enjoy open top driving that's a serious minus for the FJ.
A significan't plus for the FJ though is that it seems to be the only "SUV" available in the US with the combination of a manual transmission and a full-time AWD mode which is very nice if you drive on roads in inclement weather.
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #24
FLSeaMonkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Posts: 157
Newbie here, great board BTW. I too have been looking at and researching the FJ, and was almost about to take the plunge. Now that I am actually seeing the JK Unlimited, I have completely changed my mind. The idea of having a true 4 door convertible is fantastic. Living in FL, that right there did it for me. The FJ seems like a good truck, and even though I have never owned a Toyota, I hear good things. I have always loved and wanted a Wrangler even though I own a Land Rover D90 as well. The Rover is a fun weekend toy, and very bare bones. The JK will be my daily driver, and travel car for the fam on short trips down the coast, TOPLESS. Can't wait to drive one any day now... Looks like a Rescue Green Saraha for me!
FLSeaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #25
Karamba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo
But then again, the long wheelbase on the 4 door Wrangler will prohibit it from going offroad as well.
WTF are you talking about? Trails around here are full with 120" wheelbase pickups. JK is also 10" shorter then FJ. And FJ actually does quite well off-road.

I was considering FJ, but did not like 1) visibility 2) rear non-doors. 3) no convertable roof, removable doors. Minor points were 4) overstyled (That coming from my wife though, I do not care that much, but have to care about her opinion) 5) Not too much rear space for its size 6) IFS 7) Hard to get a good deal and stupid package choices.

FJ is capable enough off-road for me. It did quite well on a recent trip with my friend. Not in the league of Rubicon it would seem, but OK. (Even more so with the available cheap ATRAC (their version of off-road tuned traction control) hacks to enable it on base model with locker - and to enable it to work together with the rear locker.)

I wish JK had the 5sp auto from FJ. 4Runner's engine also would be nice.

If going that route I would rather get the XTerra though..
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #26
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
WTF are you talking about? Trails around here are full with 120" wheelbase pickups. JK is also 10" shorter then FJ. And FJ actually does quite well off-road.

I was considering FJ, but did not like 1) visibility 2) rear non-doors. 3) no convertable roof, removable doors. Minor points were 4) overstyled (That coming from my wife though, I do not care that much, but have to care about her opinion) 5) Not too much rear space for its size 6) IFS 7) Hard to get a good deal and stupid package choices.

FJ is capable enough off-road for me. It did quite well on a recent trip with my friend. Not in the league of Rubicon it would seem, but OK. (Even more so with the available cheap ATRAC (their version of off-road tuned traction control) hacks to enable it on base model with locker - and to enable it to work together with the rear locker.)

I wish JK had the 5sp auto from FJ. 4Runner's engine also would be nice.

If going that route I would rather get the XTerra though..
The trail I frequent most often in Minnesota will never fit a full size truck. I was out this summer with a current model Unlimited and he had to back up a couple of times to make corners I was able to just steer through. Its a very tight trail. Jeep only! The new Unlimited has about a 13" longer wheelbase than the current model and I hightly doubt it will make the corners. Looking at the specs the old Unlimited had a turning diameter that is 5 feet tighter than the new one. (The old SWB TJ is 8' tighter.) Thats alot of extra space required to turn a corner when your in a tight trail.

Although the FJ is infact 10" longer than the new Unlimited it has a wheelbase that is 10" shorter than the Unlimited. But somehow the turning diameter of the Unlimited is still actually better than the FJ by half a foot. So Kudos to Jeep for making the turning as tight as they can. So offroad the Unlimited should still do better than the FJ. But not as good as the old LJ or TJ.
__________________
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #27
Karamba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo
So offroad the Unlimited should still do better than the FJ. But not as good as the old LJ or TJ.
I strikes me as an extremely limited view to judge off-road ability by turning radius alone. As a counter example, there is a whole bunch of climbs I can think of, on Sierra Nevada backroads, that I was much more comfortable inside a Toyota pick-up, then in a TJ.

If you need space for your gear, you need wheelbase, no way around it. No use comparing a full grown expedition type vehicle to a wheeling toy.

And the new 2door JK is actually shorter then 2006 2door.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #28
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
I strikes me as an extremely limited view to judge off-road ability by turning radius alone. As a counter example, there is a whole bunch of climbs I can think of, on Sierra Nevada backroads, that I was much more comfortable inside a Toyota pick-up, then in a TJ.

If you need space for your gear, you need wheelbase, no way around it. No use comparing a full grown expedition type vehicle to a wheeling toy.

And the new 2door JK is actually shorter then 2006 2door.
Yes you are correct. Turning radius is only one item. The longer wheelbase will also limit break over angles and require more lift to clear the same obstacle. Why do you think the Jeep was made so small in the first place. But you are also correct that in some instances a longer wheelbase will have advantages. It depends on what you want to do with it. I just wanted to point out one of the big advantages of a smaller offroad vehicle.

You are also correct that the new 2 door is actually shorter than the current TJ. I think it is 2" shorter with a 2" longer wheelbase. Yet I think it is supposed to have more room behind the seat. I'm really excited to see the new SWB. I think it will be a worthy successor.
__________________
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #29
Karamba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo
I just wanted to point out one of the big advantages of a smaller offroad vehicle.
Right. And lo and behold - they still sell the 2dr.

I think that the title of this thread is JK vs FJ, and the JK that matches (and exceeds IMO) FJ in terms of size and utility is the Unlimited - that's why I brought it up. For me - TJ and JK 2dr is just plain too small.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #30
TJJP77
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere, MI
Posts: 1,799
Toyotas are not necessarily always better than vehicles from the traditional "big three". J.D. Power shows that the current Chrsyler/Dodge minivans are the class leaders for reliability - well under both the Honda and the Toyota in problems per hundred vehicles (P/100). As another example, the Scion (Toyota) Tc coupe is one of the worst in it's class for P/100. Granted, I realize minvans and sporty coupes are not the same thing as a Wrangler or FJ, but I'm just trying to make a point.

My biggest objection to the FJ is just how useless it is as a summer fun/off road rig. No removeable top, IFS, full-time 4WD only with one of the transmissions (can't remember if it's the stick or auto that forces you to take full time 4WD) and I have no need/desire for full-time 4x4. Also, there's just a lot of awkward styling elements to the FJ - the actual fender flares (the little black lip lining the lip of the fender) are bizarre looking, the bumpers are weird looking if you stare at them long enough and that massive blind spot at both the c-pillar and out the rear window. I also find the interior overstyled and the whole vehicle both inside and out to be completely cartoonish. JMHO....
__________________
Chris
'02 Sahara
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.