JK vs. FJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK vs. FJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 10-01-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
firefly

JK vs. FJ

I currently drive a sedan and have a TJ Sahara for weekends in the summer, hauling stuff around and plowing my driveway in the winter. I also use the TJ for pulling my boat up a steep ramp and need all the low end torque I can get and the TJ has plenty to spare.

I can honestly say it's the most fun I've had with any vehicle and I don't need to tell anyone on this forum it's one heck of a workhorse. My only complaint with the TJ is I have a stack of repair bills from the previous owner and I've definitely added to it during the 18 months I've owned it.

So now I'm looking to get rid of the booring sedan (even if it is the "ultimate driving maching") and I had my mind set on getting a new Toyota FJ Cruiser. But now that I've seen the new JK 4 door I'm very interested and would like to know if anyone can add anything technical on why I should steer in the direction of the JK over the FJ.

How is Jeep doing with reliability these days? I should add that the prelim reports on the FJ are not so positive regarding first year issues. If I can get away with getting rid of the TJ and my sedan for a JK I will as long as I can feel comfortable knowing it will be my new workhorse. But if I go the FJ route I have to keep the TJ for plowing and don't think I could be without a topless vehicle for the summer. My dog would shoot me if I did not own a jeep (back seat removed for him).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
tolh13

What year tj.Is it a 4.0?auto or stick?
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
xfactor

Personally I would ask yourself what is most important.

The FJ will likely have more power and be a better tow rig for your boat. I would also guess it will have slightly better reliability overall but that gap has really narrowed.

The JK will get you out there without a roof on your head.

Styling, interior and utility is completely subjective. Which do you like?

I considered both, but I have always wanted a wrangler and have always wanted to shed the roof. I am patiently waiting to score one very soon.
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Don't know what year your Jeep is but mine is 2004. With 32,000 miles I have not had any problems. 2006 would be good, but in agreement JK should be bought; however, I would wait till late or 2008 model to work out new bugs.

I would have to stick with Jeep Wrangler, though; unless someone gave me a Toyota FJ Cruiser.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
Don't know what year your Jeep is but mine is 2004. With 32,000 miles I have not had any problems. 2006 would be good, but in agreement JK should be bought; however, I would wait till late or 2008 model to work out new bugs.

I would have to stick with Jeep Wrangler, though; unless someone gave me a Toyota FJ Cruiser.

... and if someone gave me a FJ, I would sell it and use the money for mods

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Laxstar46

if the fj is what i think it is. is it the things that look hummeresque and the yellow ones have like a white top. if so then man those things are pug fugly. also agree with waiting witht he jk. Not onlywill bugs be worked out but possibly some better engine options that are more suited for off road
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
tacjeep99

I would say it depends on what your long term plans for your vehicle are. If you are going to leave it relatively stock and are concerned about quality and reliability I would have to give the edge to the FJ.

However if you plan on modifying it and want a vehicle that easy to modify in terms of suspension and tires, then I would have to give the nod to the JK.

I think either way you would be making a good purchase, and the deciding factor would be how much hassle you want to go through lifting it and changing tire size. So far 33" tires seem to be the biggest size you can put on a FJ but even then some owners are reporting a little rubbing in the front. The limit seems to be 3" in lift, but I just saw a 5.5" lift advertised for the FJ. Would that get you on
35s? Maybe, but there may still be some rubbing and minor modification issues that would surface.

With the JK Rubicon, 32s are stock, you could upsize to 33s on a stock suspension (seeing as how you can always go one tire size bigger on stock suspenion with Jeep), a 2.5" budget boost gets you on 35s easy, and a 4" lift would get you on 37s probably.

Another deciding factor for me would be whether or not you want to drive with the top down, edge goes to the JK on this one, not important factor, edge to the FJ.

My suggestion is just figure out what you want to do with your new 4x4 in terms of mods, and then purchase accordingly.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would take the Jeep over the FJ. Not that I have anything against Toyota, they are good automobiles, but I am a die hard Jeep guy. From what you are saying about your uses for your Jeep you have now, I would have to say go with an 06 TJ, like a Rubicon. I know you can get great deals on them right now with it being a new model year. If you really want the 4door (JK Unlimited), then the other posts are right, you should wait a year for the bugs to be worked out. Also, from what I have read so far, the engine in the JK Unlimited is a little lacking in the power department, so it might behoove you to wait for a bigger engine based on what you are using your Jeep for. Just my .02
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 02:59 AM   #9
COJeep2004

Ditch the sedan and get a FJ! I go back and forth between toyota trucks and jeeps (2 wranglers/3 toyota trucks) I love them both. Toyota makes awesome 4wheelers. But i am with you, I NEED to have a topless 4x4. It makes the trail expirience 10 times better. Toyota is indeed tough and reliable, the Jeep has some qurks but that's what makes it a Jeep! I would get the FJ in place of the sedan and keep your TJ. When it is time to replace the TJ, get a JK and by that time all the bugs should be worked out of it. That way you will have two awesome 4wheelers! (God I wish I could afford this option!) Just a thought.
COJeep2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
firefly

Thanks for all the info. The TJ is a 1997 Sahara (4.0) stick with 145k miles and still runs incredibly strong and looks really nice. But she's had her list of items replaced like brakes (all 4) and just about everything else along the way.

This is a tough decision and based on what many of you have said above now you can see why. I think my best bet is to see how the reviews are on the 2007 JK 4dr and will buy this time next year.
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if your going to buy something soon, i'd get the FJ. Only because the Jk will give you more problems being its in its first year of production

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How can you complain about brakes with 145K miles?
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
jpaddict

The FJ is also in its first year of production.

I considered (briefly) the FJ, but it is not a Jeep, it is just another sport utility. One of my reps bought a FJ, and promptly lifted it. He did a 3 inch lift from OME, and has 285 size tires. The rear tailgate cannot accomodate that large of a tire. Toyota certainly has great quality, but the FJ cannot put the top down, and has very limited visibility.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
jpaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #14
firefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHavok797
How can you complain about brakes with 145K miles?
Because I've only put a few thousand miles on it in 2 years

The stack of receipts is staggering with bills for just about everything. New clutch, new axle, new exhaust.... But again, I agree that after so many miles you'd expect many things to go wrong with a 4WD vehicle regardless of make.

Maybe I'll just dump the sedan and jump on a 4dr JK in the spring and keep the TJ so I can have 2 jeeps. One for serious play (TJ) and one for my daily driver.

Afterall, the FJ is more or less just another SUV and it's definitely not a Jeep.
Unread 10-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #15
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm not trying to be a jerk and I think you realize that. I was just trying to make the point that things like brakes, clutches, and exhausts are things on any vehicle that eventaully need to be replaced, especially one with 145K miles. I can't wait to see the new Wrangler drive by me.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.