JK with True tracs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK with True tracs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

JK with True tracs

Last month I installed Tru-Trac LSDs, 4.88 gears, and a new set of 35" duratracs. I wheeled for the first time this weekend. WOW. The LSDs worked amazingly. I walked up everything. I was following a open diff JK and he spun, I didnt. I dont need a dedicated rock crawler. These worked great. Lockers are great for alot of things, but if its your DD, like mine, LSDs may be all you need.

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I too am running Detroit TrueTracs front and rear with 4.88's and 35's on my 13JK. I'm very happy with the setup.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Can not beat True Tracs for a daily driver. Had them in my WJ, (300,XXX miles) both axles and now have them in my JKU. Love them in the snow.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

I am really curious about those! I was thinking about how much snow driving ill be doing with the JK. Glad to hear your liking the setup! Its good to have a balance

To those who have installed them, how hard is it? Is it something that is possible to do before a regear or without messing with anything major?
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

The install replaces the stock carrier. The gear ring bolts to the unit so it makes sense to install them during a regear. I'm waiting on a couple of videos that were taken..
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I personally do not mess with my gears and take it to a shop. Depending on what gears you are going to go to depends on if you can do it now or not, the ring and pinon will make the difference. When I regeared and went to 4:10's I could not have done the True Tracs earlier in the D30 before as the cut off was 3:73. IIRC

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Dana 30 Carrier break is 3.54/3.73.

The JK Dana 44 uses the same carrier for all gear ratios. You'll get a 3.73 and DOWN (numerically lower) carrier for all JK Dana 44 gear ratios.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

It freaked me out when I ordered the rear. Instead of my order receipt reading "rear d44 all ratios" it read "rear d44 3.73 numerically down". I had to have phone support clarify that about the rear 44.
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Why, do you guys think, that front True Tracks aren't offered as a factory option?

I have the 3.73 True Track LSD rear, ordered in my 2 door Sport S. There's a really good mom and pop tranny shop just a few miles from me. They'll do the install if down the road, I decide to do a front True Trac. Don't know how deep I'm going to get into off roading.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro3000 View Post
It freaked me out when I ordered the rear. Instead of my order receipt reading "rear d44 all ratios" it read "rear d44 3.73 numerically down". I had to have phone support clarify that about the rear 44.

Yea, the carriers are not "JK Dana 44" specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
Why, do you guys think, that front True Tracks aren't offered as a factory option?

I have the 3.73 True Track LSD rear, ordered in my 2 door Sport S. There's a really good mom and pop tranny shop just a few miles from me. They'll do the install if down the road, I decide to do a front True Trac. Don't know how deep I'm going to get into off roading.
The factory limited Slip is not a Detroit TrueTrac. The factory LSD is a clutch operated limited slip called a Trac-lok. Unlike the TrueTrac, the Trac-lok requires friction additive and will wear out over time.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor

Because most people suck at driving, and they'd end up with lawsuits from idiots who lost control in the snow. Same reason the factory software only lets us lock the differentials in 4 low.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Track Lock, not True Track, gotcha. Had my "Tracks" mixed up. If my Track Lock ever goes bad, I'll defiantly go Detroit.

Maybe the factory can't figure out how to make the electronic traction control work with all four wheels under power, spinning at the same speed.

Brian, idiots ruin everything!

I've learned a lot from this forum. You guys are pretty cool when I ask seemingly dumb questions. I appreciate that.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor
Track Lock, not True Track, gotcha. Had my "Tracks" mixed up. If my Track Lock ever goes bad, I'll defiantly go Detroit.

Maybe the factory can't figure out how to make the electronic traction control work with all four wheels under power, spinning at the same speed.

Brian, idiots ruin everything!

I've learned a lot from this forum. You guys are pretty cool when I ask seemingly dumb questions. I appreciate that.
With an effective limited slip in front, in slippery conditions, heavy throttle will spin both front tires and you lose directional stability. That's the reason. I've run automatic lockers front and rear and its doable in the snow, but the average person would drive it into a pole. Largely for not understanding how it works, but also because people generally suck at driving.

The factory track lock is a clutch based limited slip as stated. In time they wear out and become less aggressive. They can be somewhat unpredictable, especially as they wear, as to when they will actually spin both or just one tire. The true track is a much more reliable, stronger, more effective limited slip.

My preference for a daily driver is either a good limited slip or an automatic locker (not for most people) in back, and selectable locker in front. In snow and ice it is best to keep the front open unless needed, for directional stability. You also have less wear and binding up front with the front differential open. Then you can fully lock it when needed. This way if you lose traction up front, one doesn't spin up crazy fast and then suddenly grab traction (that breaks stuff).
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

This has turned into a good discussion. When I started it I was expecting someone to start with "why bother, get lockers"
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
Jeffro3000
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm also not that concerned with directional stability in snow because if it's in 4 hi, in snow, im going slow anyway. I drive like an old man to begin with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.