Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

JK "Traction Lock' option on an Unlimited X

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  TheGillz 
#1 ·
OK, so I got to drive a KJ today. One thing that interested me was the sticker showed 4.10 gears with the auto tranny option... got me thinking HUMM maybe doing a mild build on an X makes more sense than popping for a Rubicon. 4.10s with 33s and the 2.72 would not be bad with the auto tranny, and 35s would work with an Atlas conversion to the T-case to 4:1.

What do you guys know about the "Traction Lock" option? Will it act like a locker off road, or does it take a major speed difference between the two rear wheels for it to kick on like an old Detroit Locker, not so good for offroad work?

Thanks, Leo.
'92 YJ 6 cyl 5 speed Lifted Locked with 31s.

#2 ·
trak-lok? it will NOT work like a locker off-road. it simply transfers power to the wheel with traction, it works pretty well, but as soon as one wheel is off the ground, its pretty worthless

#7 ·
This is not entirely true on the JK. Absolutely correct - its nowhere near a locker, but the trac-loc along with the traction control, the JK is much more adaptaple to overcoming an airborne wheel than TJ's. I don't have lockers and I've been teetered a few times and the brakes grabbed the airborne wheel and the power went to the grounded wheel. Its awesome.

#3 · (Edited)
I bought an X with 4.10's and an auto. for the price diff of it and the rubicon i can buy a rubi front axle from the dealer a rubi locker (actually i am getting ected lockers) 4:1 tansfer kit should be out soon and disconnect my own swaybar. the difference in money is going to cover my lift, more wheels and tires, bumpers, racks, etc. My X was so cheap i put on a superlift 2" bb kit with shocks first day and some blinging 18s running nitto 33x14x18 meat. the rubicon would have had to roll factory till it wore out. P.S. I am in college and every penny has to be thought out.

here it is if you want to see.... always in progress

#4 ·
I have an all stock w/ 3.73 and trak-loc, this will and does work awesome for all but the most aggressive rock crawling, like he said as long as both wheels are touching earth or rocks it will xfer the torque, it works supurb in ice and snow, and very good on steep inclines as well. I don't have oversized tires or a lift yet so i'm not hopping rocks, but I will get a locker if I move that direction, I don't anticipate that "Krawlin" will be a major part of my 4wheeling.

#8 ·
Hey. give the guy credit. He apparently did a search. Unlike many of us. Me included for sure on that. ;)

Kudos.

#6 ·
from a banned user no less! LOL

#11 ·
I go to Gilmer, TX often (Barnwell Mountain) and soon Bridgeport when it opens next month. It is in west Ft Worth. You should come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.