Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

JK TPMS question (Wheel swap with a TJ)

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Hilldweller 
#1 ·
I am getting my 2009 Wrangler x today from the dealer. However, I am not happy with the rims (16") and the tires (225) that comes stock with it. I also have a 2000 TJ with 31's on 15 inch rims. Now can I just swap The wheels with my TJ. I know my TJ dose not have TPMS and installing the TJ wheels will mean no TPMS on the new jeep. How bad will it get. Will I be getting a check engine. What can i expect from the swap...Any issues that may arise ...Thank you for all your help guys. I am new to the JK

#2 ·
Different bolt pattern and 15" will not fit over the calipers without grinding some of the wheel and caliper.

#4 ·
You might be able to sell the tires on Craig's list.
BFG KM2 255/85-16 tires will fit right on the stock steelies or you can bite the bullet and buy new wheels and tires like many of us do. Your new bolt pattern is 5 on 5.
If you have stock 3.21 gearing though, you'll likely want to regear after putting on larger tires.

It's worth your time to search out old threads on tire & wheel issues. Consider this forum your archive of wisdom.

#6 ·
Jeep wheels for the JK all suffer from backspace issues for replacement rubber. And dealers usually charge a healthy premium for aftermarket wheels.

Take a look at the Summit website, Quadratec, discounttiredirect, 4wheel parts, 4x4groupbuys, etc. and scope out some package deals; I think you'll be surprised.

#7 ·
you can probably get wheel spacers with different bolt pattern to mount the older wheels and tires on there, people seem to use spacers all the time to kick the tires out a little to prevent rubbing, also i dont think you need to regear if your just putting 31" tires on

#8 ·
yeah..this is what the stealership has quoted..500 for each 17" wheel with 255/75 tires. The credit for my 16" wheels is 150 per wheel. I made the mistake of asking for the running boards and they quoted me 550 for factory style mopar side steps...what should i do...if i just go with the stock, i am stuck with selling them when i do replace the tires which is a pain in the butt

#9 ·
honestly that is not a bad price for tire & wheels once you deduct the 150 credit for the 16" wheels.

The side steps- not worth $550. Blow those off. They are plastic with some aluminum reinforcement, and get destroyed easily on the trail. For that price you can buy some good solid aftermarket ones. Or if you really want the mopar sidesteps, just watch Craigslist and ebay- people take them off and sell them typically for around $150.

#10 ·
Spydertrax definitely offers an adapter to go from the JK 5x5 pattern to the TJ 5x4.5. I was just looking at them. They're much cheaper than new wheels... but they'll add to you backspacing(do you know what it is?) and I don't know if the 15s would still hit your calipers.

#13 ·
scruffed up wheels on a new JK are cool................. But only if you are the one responsible for scruffing them up! :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I found 5 tires and rims on craigslist...They are 18 inch rims and the tires are 255/70/18 bridgestone duelers. the seller indicated they they had 10 to 15 k on them and they are rated for 60k. Question is will i have to regear to run those big rims or i should be ok. My jk is a base 2009 x

#15 ·
the rim size has no bearing on regearing. The tire size is what makes the difference.

You will notice a difference, a little loss of power. But it won't need to necessarily need to be regeared since many X's run that size with stock gears.

You will however need to have your speedometer reprogrammed. Any Jeep dealer will be able to reprogram for that size since that is a standard size.

#17 ·
One last question and this bordering silly...If I put the 18 inch wheels for the 4 wheels and leave the 16 as a spare tire, will it make a difference for short distances at very slow speeds just in case I have a flat and have to use the spare. i am talking only pavement not trails

#22 ·
#23 ·
I finally upgraded the rubber and put a set of 265/75's on the existing stock 16" steelies. Could not get the nod of approval for the rims from wife. However, as expected the speedometer is slightly off. Nothing that i cant deal with but when they recalibrate , do they redo any other settings on the computer or just recalibrate the speedometer. Do i HAVE to get the calibration done.

#24 ·
The calibration is just to tell the computer of the new tire size. Do you have a GPS? If so you can use that for speedometer until you get the calibration done, and use the GPS to confirm the calibration is correct. Nothing else is done.

Do you have to get it done- Pretty much, yes. No one can force you to get it done. But the warranty specifically states that any modification that causes the odometer to be incorrect voids the entire warranty. Changing tire size causes the odometer to be incorrect.

you can buy any of the aftermarket programmers (they range in price from $150 to $350) to do the calibration yourself.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.