JK starter issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK starter issue

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 07-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Gascap
2014 JK Wrangler 

JK starter issue

Ok, I've read a few threads regarding starters, but none seem to have the answer to my problem.

Little over a month ago, I went up to Uwharrie and got the Jeep stuck in a pretty sizeable mud puddle. Then about two weeks later, the Jeep wouldn't start. Pulled fuzes and the cables, and eventually I got it started. Took it to the dealership and they told me they cleaned out the starter because it was full of mud, but if it didn't work again, then it wouldn't be covered under warranty and 350 would get me a new starter.

Well, yesterday it stopped working again. So I am trying to fix it myself. I jacked it up, pulled off the bottom bolt and the heat shield. Come to find that there is still a ton of mud on it and in it, which just pisses me off because now it seems like they didn't do anything.

What is the best way to get to that top bolt for the starter? I am having a hellacious time getting anything in there without pulling off the body. Or is there another way that I can get in to clean it without having to pull it completely off?

TIA

Unread 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Not quite sure about the bolt but if you donít feel like taking it back to the dealer does it look like you can get a garden hose in there and spray the mud out under pressure?
Whatís the problem anyhow? Is the Jeep just not starting but the starter spins? Do you get a clicking noise when you try to start it? Does nothing at all happen when you turn the key?
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Gascap
2014 JK Wrangler 

The starter doesn't click at all. Sometimes I get nothing, sometimes I get a weak attempt at a start, but neither one where it leads me to believe that the battery is at fault. I had it tested at AutoZone and the battery and the alternator are good, but it said "starting system failed." The starter gets very hot after only 1 or 2 attempts, so I know it's getting power, but it's not cranking.
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Stugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascap View Post
The starter doesn't click at all. Sometimes I get nothing, sometimes I get a weak attempt at a start, but neither one where it leads me to believe that the battery is at fault. I had it tested at AutoZone and the battery and the alternator are good, but it said "starting system failed." The starter gets very hot after only 1 or 2 attempts, so I know it's getting power, but it's not cranking.
I don't own a JK yet, but I had a similar problem with my 1500 Silverado, Like you I went to Autozone and had the same response, turns out the battery was bad after all.

I wish you best of luck with finding a solution, but Don't fully trust the Autozone test. I don't anymore.
Stugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like thereís a lot of resistance (electrically) and thatís whatís making it hot and not starting. You definitely need to clean out what ever is in there. Hopefully someone will chime in at tell you how to remove it. All though Iíve done my share of replacing starters, Iím not quite sure about the mounting on the JKís. Also check the wiring and connections that is visible now. Anything lose would give the results your experiencing too.
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Gascap
2014 JK Wrangler 

Finally managed to pull the starter off (needed a little extra leverage on the top bolt). The starter had gotten so much mud and grime in it that it blew some of the wiring in the coil packs and had baked onto the armature and brushes. Tried to solder the broken connection, but no joy. Believe the clay is too much to overcome...new starter is already on the way.

Tags
JK Wrangler , starter , starter issue , wont turn over , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.