JK speed sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK speed sensor

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
greggradwohl

JK speed sensor

How does the JK determine vehicle speed?
Engine rpm, driveshaft, wheel rpm?
Something completely different?

greggradwohl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
infosponge

A quick check of the service manual shows that there are two possibilities, but I'm not sure which is actually used. The first is that it uses the transmission output sensor along with the transmission range sensor. The second is that there are four wheel speed sensors as part of the ABS. Not sure which one the PCM uses to determine actual vehicle speed. The section on the speedometer mentions a "Vehicle Speed Sensor" but I didn't see it listed anywhere. Didn't spend much time looking though.

The wiring diagram for the cruise control shows it using the input/output speed sensors, so maybe it is based off the transmission output after all and the ABS sensor use is self contained.
infosponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
greggradwohl

I am wondering if I get some 35s and regear to 4.56, is the computer stuff to work properly. These tire/gears should put me at factory speed per rpm. But, not factory speed per tire revolution. If the JK is looking at tire rotations as well as rpms it might think something bad is happening.
greggradwohl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
kscobra2004
2007 JK Wrangler 

In my Mustangs, there was a speed sensor on the side of the transmission. When I regeared, I had to reprogram the computer, same with tire size changes. I am pretty sure the JK is the same set up. It isn't a big deal, if someone would hurry up and come out with a programmer.
kscobra2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah i got 35" tires and im guessing the speeds im at. i have heard jeeps can only calilbrate up to a 33" tire but seen where a few say 32" tire
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

32" is what the Rubicon comes with from the factory, so that's the biggest stock size, hence the biggest they probably are set up to flash to now. I wish someone would hurry up and make a programmer for this because it's not just the speedometer, the odometer gets thrown off as well.
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Egmont
Recent Convert & Love It

I am certain it get speed from the wheels, it counts the teeth and the computer interprets the info to give us speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.