JK roof panels filling with water... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK roof panels filling with water...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

JK roof panels filling with water...

So far I have had my roof panels off twice, small drips are no problem to me, actually I expected those. Not only does my roof leak like crazy, the panels fill up with water. Dealer tells me they have never seen the panels fill with water, the passenger panel holds quite abit, the drivers panel a small amout. When I first took it in they of course told me I'm putting the panels on wrong, like I told them, ok I can accept that, but the panels have water sloshing around in them. Of course the did not belive me, the dude pulling it in got soaked, and they had to hold the panels upright for several minutes to get them to drain. They reinstalled my panels, took a garden hose to the jeep, and wow, it filled up with water again.

The are ordering new seals, and a passenger and drivers side panel for me, so at least they are trying ti fix the issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

very weird. never heard of this happening before. chrysler claimed that with the advent of the 2011 models the hardtop issues had been corrected. only minor issues here and there from what I've picked up.

i hope the new seals they're putting on resolves it

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Jeeper0912
2008 JK Wrangler 

My JK definitely leaks when it rains...I don't know how to remedy this problem so anyone with some helpful hints would be appreciated!
Jeeper0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper0912 View Post
My JK definitely leaks when it rains...I don't know how to remedy this problem so anyone with some helpful hints would be appreciated!
Actually when I first went in the dealership, the guy at the counter told me to add weater stripping around my panels, I told him no f'ing way its a brand new jeep, I bought the hardtop so I would'nt have leak issues, get me a manager !

The manager was very cool with me.
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well its almost been a week and have yet to hear from the dealer, time to call and act like a jerk.
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's not a new problem, I've heard of it on the forum and knew someone that had an '11 that the dealer simply could not fix so they made her a killer deal on a '12 and most likely moved the vehicle to another lot.
Keep taking it back and hold them accountable for anything the water damages like moldy carpets. Make it painful for them and make them fix it.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

My passenger side top did the same thing. I got a brand new one under warranty. Although the paint is a little different, (gloss), it doesn't collect water.
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
It's not a new problem, I've heard of it on the forum and knew someone that had an '11 that the dealer simply could not fix so they made her a killer deal on a '12 and most likely moved the vehicle to another lot.
Keep taking it back and hold them accountable for anything the water damages like moldy carpets. Make it painful for them and make them fix it.
Instead of installing a new top? Stupid dealer.
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
scottman
2010 JK Wrangler 

Guy I bought a soft top from had the same issue, Chrysler's official response was to "park under an awning" during the rain. Covered parking when it rains, yeah that's realistic...
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Fellstar
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've had 2 2012 jeeps with hard tops and soft tops, neither ever leaked... both have had other problems though.
2012 Rubicon - ACE Eng. Rock Sliders, Rockhard4x4 Full Front Bumper, SmittyBilt XRC8, Level 8 Strike 5 16x8.5's wrapped in 315/75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 3" Teraflex coil lift with shock adapters, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier Hinge, Teraflex Exhaust Spacers. 1/2" coil spacer up front, 3/4" coil spacer in the rear.
Fellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
ofcsnowman
2013 JK Wrangler 

There is a very simple answer to this issue. The tops are two parts that are molded/glued together. Sound like a delaminating issue to me. Tell them you won’t stand for some quick, temporary fix, and have them get the new ones. Then ask them to test the theory. Drill and install a fitting to the leaky top and pressurize it. You will find the delamination or… get a good bang in the shop when it blows up.
ofcsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well they put new seals in, and replaced the 2 removable tops, water tested it with a hose, so far so good, lets see what happens when it rains. We have'nt had much rain this summer.....

Ive actually thought of spraying the panels with with black epoxy, but its under warranty so they can worry about it for now.
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well it still leaks, now they ordered new door seals ! They new roof panels dont seem to leak or hold water.
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Instead of installing a new top? Stupid dealer.
Yep, they're all funny that way. Once some part is yours...it's YOURS.
Last time I talked to her, the '11 was still on their lot after several months and she said that she could still smell the moldy carpet just standing outside it and looking in.
I really believe that some dealerships are run by wild Chimpanzees and not rational human beings...

When we were looking for our '12 we wanted the soft top and the dealer absolutely would NOT take a soft top from an existing jeep and give it to us. It was completely out of the question and an absolute deal breaker for them.

OP, hope the new panels fix your problem. They should...
Keep their feet to the fire. Don't let them off the hook.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
doug4823
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ha! Thought it was just me. My passenger side filled up the first time it rained after I took them off. I also got drenched so I assumed I put them in wrong. Drained the panels out and reinstalled. Has not happened since...
2008 supercharged sahara JKU, gibson exhaust, 3" lift, 34" toyo AT, 17" AKWs, electronic sway bar disconnect, AEV bumper with warn 9.5ti and skid plate, AEV heat reduction hood, garvin expedition rack, piaa roof/pillar/winch lights, cobra cb, tow package, trek top nx, color matched hardtop/fenders/bumpers... and a few other mods
doug4823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.