JK rear end metal to metal clunk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK rear end metal to metal clunk

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
ar325

JK rear end metal to metal clunk

Hello everyone. Just a quick thanks to all of you for the great advise you all give to help everyone out.

I picked up a 2013 JK (11,000 miles) and have taken it out 4 times now. The last 2 time I keep hearing a metal to metal clunk on the left rear wheel when I go though a ruff or a large dip (side to side).. A friend and I jacked up the rear axle to check things out today and found out if I pull out and push in quickly on the tire it makes the same noise just not as loud. All other bolts and nuts underneath are tight. (track bar ect..) the tire is torqued properly also. the right side does the same thing a little, but not as bad as the left. The front axle assy doesn't do it at all..

Does any one have an idea of whats going on, because it seemed to be getting louder than the last time out.. driving on normal roads is fine . No humming or sounds of any kind.

ar325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

check the rear upper shock mounts.
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
ar325

did that all is good only 4,000 mile on TF 2.5 lift and billstein 5150 shocks
ar325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!! or is it a badonk ka donk if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!! or is it a badonk ka donk if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Post of the year candidate right there. Putting that one in the sig.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar325
Hello everyone. Just a quick thanks to all of you for the great advise you all give to help everyone out. I picked up a 2013 JK (11,000 miles) and have taken it out 4 times now. The last 2 time I keep hearing a metal to metal clunk on the left rear wheel when I go though a ruff or a large dip (side to side).. A friend and I jacked up the rear axle to check things out today and found out if I pull out and push in quickly on the tire it makes the same noise just not as loud. All other bolts and nuts underneath are tight. (track bar ect..) the tire is torqued properly also. the right side does the same thing a little, but not as bad as the left. The front axle assy doesn't do it at all.. Does any one have an idea of whats going on, because it seemed to be getting louder than the last time out.. driving on normal roads is fine . No humming or sounds of any kind.
Just to mention it, is your jack secured firmly in its place?
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post

Post of the year candidate right there. Putting that one in the sig.
Oooo my first sig quote I knew if I hung around long enough it would happen to me see kids if you stay in school and work hard one day you to May be sig quoted I'm so happy I could cry.....

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I laugh, because it's true.

Every time I track down and stop one of those... another pops up, this time on the windshield's plastic panels!

As to the OP, I sometimes hear it on my 2013 Unlimited. I haven't found anything loose and nothing has failed on me 11k in, I too wish I could find it.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.