Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

JK rear end metal to metal clunk

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Demp 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Just a quick thanks to all of you for the great advise you all give to help everyone out.

I picked up a 2013 JK (11,000 miles) and have taken it out 4 times now. The last 2 time I keep hearing a metal to metal clunk on the left rear wheel when I go though a ruff or a large dip (side to side).. A friend and I jacked up the rear axle to check things out today and found out if I pull out and push in quickly on the tire it makes the same noise just not as loud. All other bolts and nuts underneath are tight. (track bar ect..) the tire is torqued properly also. the right side does the same thing a little, but not as bad as the left. The front axle assy doesn't do it at all..

Does any one have an idea of whats going on, because it seemed to be getting louder than the last time out.. driving on normal roads is fine . No humming or sounds of any kind.

#4 ·
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!! or is it a badonk ka donk if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

#7 ·
ar325 said:
Hello everyone. Just a quick thanks to all of you for the great advise you all give to help everyone out. I picked up a 2013 JK (11,000 miles) and have taken it out 4 times now. The last 2 time I keep hearing a metal to metal clunk on the left rear wheel when I go though a ruff or a large dip (side to side).. A friend and I jacked up the rear axle to check things out today and found out if I pull out and push in quickly on the tire it makes the same noise just not as loud. All other bolts and nuts underneath are tight. (track bar ect..) the tire is torqued properly also. the right side does the same thing a little, but not as bad as the left. The front axle assy doesn't do it at all.. Does any one have an idea of whats going on, because it seemed to be getting louder than the last time out.. driving on normal roads is fine . No humming or sounds of any kind.
Just to mention it, is your jack secured firmly in its place?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.