JK quirk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK quirk

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 12-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

JK quirk

Well I took delivery of my 2007 JK on Friday December 15th.

I am an amateur radio operator (ham).

I usually set my radio up in a new vehicle temporarily to make sure everything works in place.

Here is the quirk I found.

I set the radio on top of the dash above the radio.

When showing off the Jeep to my friends I showed them the digital compass at the speedometer. Well no matter what direction I was the compass was showing South East. I though GREAT 1 day old and it has a problem!

Then I thought hmmmmmmmmm maybe the compass sensor is under the platform I have my amateur radio mounted and the magnet from the radio's speaker may be interfering with it.

Removed the radio and the compass worked fine.

If I find anything else I will pass it on

JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
tolh13

yes the compass sensor is right under the top piece.you can pull up and the back part(by the windshield) and tilt froward and you will see.
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I think the compass sensor is under the top cover just above the radio the precise location you placed the ham radio. I take it the built in speaker of the ham radio is at the bottom chassis?
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
I think the compass sensor is under the top cover just above the radio the precise location you placed the ham radio. I take it the built in speaker of the ham radio is at the bottom chassis?
You are correct.

One neat thing I did want to mention is I connected a cable to the output external speaker jack of the ham radio to the AUX input of the Jeep radio and was able to listen to my ham radio with the 7 speaker system
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_Jeep
You are correct.

One neat thing I did want to mention is I connected a cable to the output external speaker jack of the ham radio to the AUX input of the Jeep radio and was able to listen to my ham radio with the 7 speaker system
I considered doing that a while back, but it was generally agreed this is a bad idea because of the impedance mismatch of the powered speaker output and the line-level aux-input. You may eventually blow the input on your radio... though I don't see any reason you couldn't use a line-level converter like you might use to hook an amplifier with line-level inputs to a radio with no aux output...

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
I considered doing that a while back, but it was generally agreed this is a bad idea because of the impedance mismatch of the powered speaker output and the line-level aux-input. You may eventually blow the input on your radio... though I don't see any reason you couldn't use a line-level converter like you might use to hook an amplifier with line-level inputs to a radio with no aux output...
Just an FYI, my ham radio has a switch for either an external speaker or headphones and it does just that, changes the impedance. I switched it to headphones for that exact reason.

here is my radio the second link will show you the speaker/headphone switch on the removable faceplate on the bottom picture on bottom left.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1857.html

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../1857frtr.html
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

SP/PH Jack
This 3.5-mm, 2-pin jack provides variable audio output for an external
speaker (4 Ω ~ 16 Ω impedance) or earphones. The audio level varies
according to the setting of the front panel’s AF knob.
Important Note: When you insert an earphone plug into this jack, the SP-PH slide
switch (located on the back side of front panel) MUST BE set to the “PH” position, to
prevent the possibility of injury to your ears.
Unread 12-18-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_Jeep
Just an FYI, my ham radio has a switch for either an external speaker or headphones and it does just that, changes the impedance. I switched it to headphones for that exact reason.

here is my radio the second link will show you the speaker/headphone switch on the removable faceplate on the bottom picture on bottom left.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1857.html

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../1857frtr.html
Cool... but hopefully anyone else that reads the thread will realize they'll need to take that extra step with their radio unless they have that feature, and I don't think I've ever seen that on a CB radio.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:22 AM   #9
bigwrm

I feel like an idiot, but there is a compass on them? Sweet. Its in the dash? I dont suppose there is an inside/outside temp gauge as well?
bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
infosponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwrm
I feel like an idiot, but there is a compass on them? Sweet. Its in the dash? I dont suppose there is an inside/outside temp gauge as well?
If you push the trip computer button it cycles through temperature + compass, MPG, DTE, etc. Might only be on the Sahara and Rubicon, I'm not sure.
infosponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

umm. this would appear to be more of an operator quirk than a jk quirk...
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
DShizzle
My daughter is SAXON

I have found that on my vehicles most of the "operator quirks" are due to a nut loose behind the steering wheel
possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".
DShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
Killian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infosponge
If you push the trip computer button it cycles through temperature + compass, MPG, DTE, etc. Might only be on the Sahara and Rubicon, I'm not sure.
Also available on the "S" package X unlimited
Unread 12-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #14
cliffmelanie1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I must have done the same thing when I mounted my CB up there. The compass was messed up for a day or 2 but seems to be working fine now
Unread 12-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #15
bigwrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by infosponge
That is awesome. I saw a pic somewhere of the little display with the temp and direction. Nothing special, but im waiting for my 4 door ruby and always wanted that. Now I can see with my eyes that the weather is TOO COLD.
bigwrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.