JK questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK questions

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 06-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
CRhodes

JK questions

I've had several TJs and YJs in the past but am thinking of getting a JKU for a daily/toy. It's been 4 years since I've had something I really enjoy driving. I travel a lot for business and will put a fair amount of miles on it. Not necessarily looking to buy new (but the rumored diesel could change my mind) so I'm wanting to know what to look for and what to avoid. I'm very much a do it yourself person so I don't want one already modded. Any pointers would be very appreciated

CRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Don't buy the early 07 with the Dana 35 rear end. Also, make sure its 4wd. Otherwise, I found the JKU to give the same feel behind the wheel as my 2 door, but with actual ROOM in the trunk area!
Unread 06-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Utah_Jay

2007 JK Wrangler 

If it is a JKU it will not have a Dana 35, even in an early 07 so no worries there. I would recommend getting a '12 or newer if it is in your budget. Lots more horsepower and a better transmission. If you get an 07-11 be ready to re-gear it to make it more driveable. If you hold out for a rumored diesel (nobody knows if this will really happen) be prepared to spend $60k on a wrangler, just my guess that is what they will milk us for because it has a diesel in it.
Unread 06-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

A limited run of very early 07 JKUs did indeed have Dana 35 rear ends.

I agree with you about the 12s and up, might as well get the 3.6 to make life more enjoyable!
Unread 06-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Utah_Jay

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
A limited run of very early 07 JKUs did indeed have Dana 35 rear ends.

I agree with you about the 12s and up, might as well get the 3.6 to make life more enjoyable!
I could be mistaken but I believe the 35's only were put in the early JK's - I thought all JKU's had the 44
Unread 06-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

On second look I do believe you are correct! My mistake!
Unread 06-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
nighowl2000
2014 JK Wrangler 

if you are going to get 2007-2011, get the 6 spd standard with that 200 HP 3.8L V6

Check the manual to make sure the shiftier does not pop out of gear. Check the oil level of the 3.8L apparently that engine likes to eat up to 1 quart per 1000 miles/km.

The 4 spd auto tranny with the 3.8L did not come with a tranny cooler and is susceptible to over heating. Check the tranny fluid level and make sure the fluid is not burnt.

If you are going to get a 2012-2015, get the 5 speed automatic. Its the german 5 speed NAG1. Super smooth! Also check for brown sludge in the coolant bottle. Means they mixed coolant and the coolant system is probably plugged which means the heater core is plugged and will not produce heat (that would suck if you live in the north!). Check the battery and battery terminals as well. The 3.6L 3 computers are sensitive to bad batteries.

her's: 2010 commander sport 3.7L 4x4
nighowl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighowl2000 View Post
The 4 spd auto tranny with the 3.8L did not come with a tranny cooler and is susceptible to over heating. Check the tranny fluid level and make sure the fluid is not burnt.
It did come with a transmission cooler. It's at the bottom of the A/C condenser, and not in the direct air flow through the grill.
An additional cooler is recommended, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.