JK Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Questions

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
JT29

JK Questions

I currently have an YJ, and thinking about buying a JK, but I have some questions? I would purchase a 4 door hardtop with the I6 and it will be a daily driver.

1. I would like to run 35" tires. Would I need to re-gear it?
2. What size lift would I need for 35" tires?
3. What kind of gas mileage would I get?
4. Can you flat tow a JK?
5. What is the base weight of a JK?
6. Any driveline/axle issues to deal with, with lift and tires?
7. How much (LBS) can a JK tow?
8. Compared to the YJ is the JK quieter sound wise with a hardtop on the road, and more car like?

JT29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT29
I currently have an YJ, and thinking about buying a JK, but I have some questions? I would purchase a 4 door hardtop with the I6 and it will be a daily driver.

8. Compared to the YJ is the JK quieter sound wise with a hardtop on the road, and more car like?
I have a 94 YJ and just bought a JKU with hardtop. The JK is a completely different beast and you're gonna love it!
1 & 2. I currently run 33s with no lift. If you're going to hit the trail with 35s a 2.5" should work great. Regear depends on manual or auto and what the JK currently has. I'll be going with 5.13s once I move up, but I'm going with 37s next time around,
3. Gas mileage varies
8. My JK is much quieter with 100% improvement when it comes to road manners than the YJ!!! There's really no comparison

You'll find a lot of your answers in the FAQ section in the JK Tech Forum
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT29 View Post

First there is no I6 in any JK.

1) Depends on if you get 4.10's or 3.73 gearing
2)2.5 is what is recommended for 35" from what I have seen.
3)16? depends on a lot of different things.
4)Yes
5)JK-4k? JKU-4300ish
6)Have not heard of too much other than death wobble with the stock track bar on some JK's
7)3500
8) Its quieter than my grandpas 06 toyota camry even with MTR's
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have an '08 JKUR-modified-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT29 View Post

1)-With auto--YUP
2)-Not required if flat fenders used--but 2.5 is suggested
3)-better/w regear-abysmal without
4)-YUP
5)-A JKU is about 4350lbs, mine is 5200lbs
6)-not for a while if driven easily, but uni's and steering will degrade much faster
7)-3500lbs-JKU
8)-Not carlike-ever- but a little quieter, but hardtop insulation is required for the ultimate quiet, for freeway/music/wife advice and backseat driving/easy cell phone use/easy CB use !!!

If you getta 2012/2013-forget items-1/3/6/

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

JIMBOX pretty well covered it.
I'd add to #6: sleeve and gussets on the front axle if going to 35's and above, especially if going off-road.
Anything over 3" lift, you're looking at new driveshafts, due to the boot getting torn off.

Overall, the JK is the closest Wrangler Jeep has created that resembles a car-like experience. By no means is it a car, it still feels much like a Wranger, but more stable and better handling than previous generations.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails
JIMBOX pretty well covered it.
I'd add to #6: sleeve and gussets on the front axle if going to 35's and above, especially if going off-road.
Anything over 3" lift, you're looking at new driveshafts, due to the boot getting torn off.

Overall, the JK is the closest Wrangler Jeep has created that resembles a car-like experience. By no means is it a car, it still feels much like a Wranger, but more stable and better handling than previous generations.
If you sleeve it go ahead and do gears at the same time, it saves labor.

The drive shaft boot is really only an issue with autos. Upgrade those when it brakes. Id personally spend the cash on axle shafts instead. I got drive shafts and I still have the stock front in at the moment and it's doing fine with a 3.5 lift and 37s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.