Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jk performance in NC mountains

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  billy mo 
#1 ·
Just got back from a mountain vacation in the Smokies. I was really impressed with how the JK handled and performed all around. Now I didn't get to even look for a true Jeep trail(family vacation) but driving the mountain highways like I-40 at 60-70 mph was a breeze, I mean the Jk handled like a sports car to me. The little 3,8 that I always thought was too small didn't mind those steep inclines one bit and got 19mpg on the trip up, and about 16 overall throughout the vacation. It was a 8hr. trip one way and the JK proved to be a very comfortable ride, something I was concerned about. Only things I didn't like were it's hard to get all your crap packed in there, and the JK will not hold it's self going down hill(steep) well in D1, it will flat run away with you up to about 25mph or so which is way too fast for those 90 degree downhill turns in the nature trails(paved). Overall I was really happy with the performance of the JK. I included a few pics of the Jeep, the cabin, the wife, the dork(me), and even a deer we stopped right beside of on a nature trail in the park.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like fun, although you guys didn't smile much!!

#5 ·
How did your passengers like the ride? I mean, there is not much room in the back for groceries, let alone a road trip with two adults back there:teehee:. Nice pictures, makes me want to drive to the Adirondack mountains, but I have to leave for Mystic, CT providing the MyGig Nav doesn't get me lost AGAIN! Sorry, didn't mean to go on a tangent.

#6 ·
They(in-laws) just rode for that day in the Jeep but drove their own ride to the mountains and all. However, both my wife and my ma-in-law get car sick very easy in the backseat in the mountains(go every year). This time they both said being in the open like that(no top, etc.) was the best ride ever. Only complaint was not enough leg room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.