JK only blowing cold air - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK only blowing cold air

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

JK only blowing cold air

I tried searching with no luck.

A friend with a 2011 jkur (70k miles) cannot get his jeep to blow hot air out. Last week he had his coolant system flushed. This weekend we removed his thermostat to confirm it was working, then top off the fluid and burped the jeep. After that, we let it warm up. The heater hoses got hot while it was idling. We had the fan on and adjusted all the controls and nothing but cold air blew out.

Any help would be great. Also, his coolant was redish brown, should he be concerned with that (some national chain auto shop did the flush)?

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

The heater core sounds like it may need to be replaced or the system needs to be flushed again. You said the coolant was full correct?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Check to see if both heater core lines (in/out) are getting warm.

Sometimes the problem is the blend door. Search that for more info.

Color is unreliable indicator of coolant type. Get the store that did the work to confirm they used HOAT coolant. That's very important.

What prompted the coolant change? The heater problem? The OEM stuff should've been OK for 5 yrs/100k.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
nh1nh1

had this happend to my XJ similar miles. Drove in the cold with it for several months (no heat) thinking it was going to be an expensive repair. Took it to a shop I trusted and they flushed the heater core and it fixed it only cost $20. lol They said the heater core was gunked up and blocking the heat from working.
nh1nh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
The heater core sounds like it may need to be replaced or the system needs to be flushed again. You said the coolant was full correct?
Yes. Fluid was full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
Check to see if both heater core lines (in/out) are getting warm.

Sometimes the problem is the blend door. Search that for more info.

Color is unreliable indicator of coolant type. Get the store that did the work to confirm they used HOAT coolant. That's very important.

What prompted the coolant change? The heater problem? The OEM stuff should've been OK for 5 yrs/100k.
Both lines were hot to the touch. We could not heard the blend door open or shut. And it was blowing cold from all vents.

I will get him to check into the coolant. This problem prompted the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1nh1 View Post
had this happend to my XJ similar miles. Drove in the cold with it for several months (no heat) thinking it was going to be an expensive repair. Took it to a shop I trusted and they flushed the heater core and it fixed it only cost $20. lol They said the heater core was gunked up and blocking the heat from working.
Hmmm. thanks.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

My 11 JKUR did same at about 21.5 years 8K miles - i know enough to understand that when both hoses are hot coolant is flowing so it aint a plugged core. I dropped the glovebox door to get to the blend box - it was not cycling as I changed the heat setting so....

Went in to dealer and the blend door motor had broken - was operating motor but not door ... warranty in my case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.