JK oil leak issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK oil leak issue

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76
Here we go again. Just because a dealer says it's so - doesn't mean it's true. You have yet to offer any proof that there is (or was) an oil leak problem (and it has been confirmed that there is no recall or service bulletins, by the way). And as for me going in and talking to the dealer like I know what's going on - sure they might agree with me and give me the inside "scoop" - again doesn't mean it's true.
Majority of the time dealerships are not informed of yard holds or anything that may be engineering related or a tightly seeled comercial issue at DCX. All they are, are salesmen and women. If you want to know some facts then try contacting one of the engineers at JTE in Detroit...but there not going to tell you anything

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #17
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGZLBR
Unlike most car salesman, I am consumed by knowing the truth and by learning from whatever accurate source I can, the reality of any given situation both technically speaking and in terms of my ability to share reality. In other words, If my managers above me tell me something, I don't neccessarily buy into it unless I can learn to verify there information...This is where most of the "I spoke to the salesman and he said..or he didn't know...." comes from.

I do however, work for an organization that can and will provide me with the reality of any given situation from the manufacturing side of things. On that note, I have not seen or heard of any oil leak issue and by reviewing the 3.8 tech adaptation, I can't see where one would develop (to the point where production would be halted).
Yeah - there are definitely some good salespeople out there - looks like you're one of them.

I have noticed over the past 10 years or so that salespeople are overall getting a bit less pushy and are generally slightly better informed. I think that is due to the advent of the internet where a potential customer can fairly easily gather a ton of information about the car they are looking to buy - keeps the sales staff on their toes. From what I've seen the manufacturer and dealerships only do so much to educate sales staff. If you really want to get informed you've got to do it on your own, which I 'm sure makes you better at your job and leads to increased sales and return customers.

Thanks again for the info! This is in another thread, but do you happen to have access to power curves for the 3.8 and the 4.0?
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #18
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

I do, I'm at work today and my workstation is crap. I have to find some time at home to copy it as a jpg and post it for youz...I just haven't had time. Bare with me.

Current Rides: 1993 Grand Wagoneer, 1992 Cherokee
Past: 1982 CJ-7, 1986 CJ-7, 1994 YJ
IGZLBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #19
tbrkek

I now have 2500 miles on mine, and it was in once for an oil leak. They said it as something with the filter. I have no idea...but it seems to be fixed now.
tbrkek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #20
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
just because there isnt an issue with an oil leak in the minivans, doesnt mean it cant be in the Jeeps. As this is the first time this engine has been mounted this way.

There should be expected that there are going to be issues with the JK because its in its first year of production.
Exactly what I have been thinking while reading this whole topic. Simply saying that it is proven technology in a mini van means nothing.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
tolh13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGZLBR
Perhaps this will help you guys figure out where this supposed leak is happening. This is the technical notes on this motors adaptation:

Adaptation of the 3.8L engine to Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited required
the following modifications:
New exhaust manifold due to packaging

Modified intake lower manifold to add bosses for the ignition coil and air
inlet due to packaging

Cylinder block motor mount bosses added as part of impact energy
management strategy with Pre-Loaded Engine Bushings (PLEBs)

Front engine cover modified to accommodate mechanical fan as part of
heavy-duty cooling

Oil filter location moved from side of block to chain case cover

One-piece rear crank seal assembly is molded onto a stamping and
replaces three parts

Two-piece structural oil pan for noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
Lower portion is steel for impact resistance; upper bolts on and is a
structural tie to the transmission. The upper is made of aluminum

Oil capacity with filter is increased to 6 qt (5.7 L) to meet Jeep
requirements for engine lubrication

mechanical fan? I read this at rockcrawler.com
Perhaps the nicest thing about the new engine on the dusty Rubicon Trail was the new electric fan. You could hear it cycle on and off with a gentle buzz and it never had that high-revving roar the inline six had. Better yet, it also didn't fire a downward blast at higher rpm's. The TJ's fans would cause such a huge cloud of dust from underneath that the Jeeps looked like Peanut's Pigpen going down the trail. You'll be thankful for this, as will anyone behind you.
sounds like electric fan plus the gap from the front of the engine to radiator would rule out a mechanical fan?

mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 02:30 AM   #22
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not saying that there is in fact an oil leak issue but, these changes have absolute potential for new oil leaks developing.

NEW 1 pc. rear main seal
NEW 2 pc. oil pan
RELOCATED oil filter

Also , the JKs ive seen have the threaded boss on the water pump snout for mounting a mechanical fan

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #23
Karamba

There is no oil leak. Not a shred of actual evidence.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.