JK oil leak issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK oil leak issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 09-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
ToolFan

JK oil leak issue

I was at the Jeep dealership today and they had one JK sahara on the lot. I asked a salesman to open it for me just so I could check out the inside. Then he immediately proceeded to tell me that there are a ton in holding right now because there is an oil leak issue. So I told him I didnt want to test drive it to make any matters worse, I can always come back and look at the other colors.
Can anyone validate this? Is there really an oil leak issue and how come they havent quarantined any so people dont destroy their engines?
Just wondering if anyone else had heard this and also to warn any new JK unlimited owners.

ToolFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
parkstephen

Isn't this a similar thread and hasn't this been discussed?

I believe the answer was there is no issue - as this is an EXISTING and highly used engine.

I ordered my 07 Saraha today with a November delivery date and I SPECIFICALLY asked the dealer manager. There is no issue (unless they forgot to screw in drain plug all the way).

After 6 Jeeps since 2000 - my dealer is NOT going to risk selling me one that has any problems. They know better.

Just my .02.
parkstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
ToolFan

I check in frequently and havent seen this post, but I might have missed it, sorry about it if this is a repost.
Unread 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
ToolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstephen

After 6 Jeeps since 2000 - my dealer is NOT going to risk selling me one that has any problems. They know better.

Just my .02.
Oh, and you must be big pimpin
Unread 09-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just logged into DCX online and don't see any service bulletin's or rapid responce service actions...

If they were being held by Chrysler, there surely would be a RRT to keep the dealers from delivering them to customers without first being checked/repaired.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Stevebo

It is true, There was an issue with oil leaks as well as the starters needing heat shields. Anything that comes out now is corrected. I was actually the first one to find out about it, but nobody believed me......
Stevebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Laxstar46

I don't think it is an issue mainly because anything that widely affects a certain vehicle is always made public. It would have been on jeep site as well as current owners would have recieved notification
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
solbergg

I thought salesmen were supposed to tell you that everything about a car on the lot is perfect.

No offense to the salesmen that read this board, but if you have a working vehicle at your lot, why try to spoil it with a story like that? I have a hard time believing it. Give me the salesman's dealership and his name, I want to find out what he heard.
solbergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebo
It is true, There was an issue with oil leaks as well as the starters needing heat shields. Anything that comes out now is corrected. I was actually the first one to find out about it, but nobody believed me......
Ummm - this was never confirmed to my knowledge - by Stevebo or anyone else. There was apparantly a issue with the swaybar disconnect (seal that needed to be replaced, I believe) holding up the Rubis - that has not been confirmed either, but it was reported by several people apparantly in the know. The heat shield was reported by JKInsider, who appears to be a good source for accurate info.

If I recall correctly Stevebo reported a "MASSIVE" oil leak problem after talking with a sales manager at his local dealer. Again, I don't think this has been confirmed and I very much doubt that it would be an issue given that the 3.8 is the same engine that powers the minivans. If an oil leak was discovered with the JK it would likely be an issue with the minivans as well (and the liklihood of a major oil leak problem suddenly cropping up on an engine design over a decade old seems pretty low).
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Stevebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76
Ummm - this was never confirmed to my knowledge - by Stevebo or anyone else. There was apparantly a issue with the swaybar disconnect (seal that needed to be replaced, I believe) holding up the Rubis - that has not been confirmed either, but it was reported by several people apparantly in the know. The heat shield was reported by JKInsider, who appears to be a good source for accurate info.

If I recall correctly Stevebo reported a "MASSIVE" oil leak problem after talking with a sales manager at his local dealer. Again, I don't think this has been confirmed and I very much doubt that it would be an issue given that the 3.8 is the same engine that powers the minivans. If an oil leak was discovered with the JK it would likely be an issue with the minivans as well (and the liklihood of a major oil leak problem suddenly cropping up on an engine design over a decade old seems pretty low).
Call a dealership or better yet go in, and ask when they are gettin one in, they will say blah blah, then say yeah i know there was a hold because of the oul leak recall and i bet any money the dealer will start talkin to you about it if he thinks you already know.
Stevebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

Perhaps this will help you guys figure out where this supposed leak is happening. This is the technical notes on this motors adaptation:

Adaptation of the 3.8L engine to Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited required
the following modifications:
·
New exhaust manifold due to packaging

·
Modified intake lower manifold to add bosses for the ignition coil and air
inlet due to packaging

·
Cylinder block motor mount bosses added as part of impact energy
management strategy with Pre-Loaded Engine Bushings (PLEBs)

·
Front engine cover modified to accommodate mechanical fan as part of
heavy-duty cooling

·
Oil filter location moved from side of block to chain case cover

·
One-piece rear crank seal assembly is molded onto a stamping and
replaces three parts

·
Two-piece structural oil pan for noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
Lower portion is steel for impact resistance; upper bolts on and is a
structural tie to the transmission. The upper is made of aluminum

·
Oil capacity with filter is increased to 6 qt (5.7 L) to meet Jeep
requirements for engine lubrication

Current Rides: 1993 Grand Wagoneer, 1992 Cherokee
Past: 1982 CJ-7, 1986 CJ-7, 1994 YJ
IGZLBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

just because there isnt an issue with an oil leak in the minivans, doesnt mean it cant be in the Jeeps. As this is the first time this engine has been mounted this way.

There should be expected that there are going to be issues with the JK because its in its first year of production.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #13
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebo
Call a dealership or better yet go in, and ask when they are gettin one in, they will say blah blah, then say yeah i know there was a hold because of the oul leak recall and i bet any money the dealer will start talkin to you about it if he thinks you already know.
Here we go again. Just because a dealer says it's so - doesn't mean it's true. You have yet to offer any proof that there is (or was) an oil leak problem (and it has been confirmed that there is no recall or service bulletins, by the way). And as for me going in and talking to the dealer like I know what's going on - sure they might agree with me and give me the inside "scoop" - again doesn't mean it's true.

Here's a scenario:

Potential Customer: Hi - I was thinking about buying a 2007 Jeep Wrangler - when are you getting one in?
Dishonest Salesman: We should be getting some in very soon, but the supply is very limited right now.
Potential Customer: Yeah - I heard about the oil leak recall holding up production.
Dishonest Salesman: (long pause) How'd you know? You're right - there is a huge problem with oil leaks on the new Wrangler engine. They're finally starting to ship, so hopefully they've fixed the problem now. But if you're interested in a Wrangler and want to take one home today, we've got 40 2006s in every color for you to choose from. (leads the customer to the lot) You know they come with the tried and true 4.0L 6 cylinder engine...
Unread 09-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #14
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGZLBR
Perhaps this will help you guys figure out where this supposed leak is happening. This is the technical notes on this motors adaptation:

Adaptation of the 3.8L engine to Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited required
the following modifications:
New exhaust manifold due to packaging

Modified intake lower manifold to add bosses for the ignition coil and air
inlet due to packaging

Cylinder block motor mount bosses added as part of impact energy
management strategy with Pre-Loaded Engine Bushings (PLEBs)

Front engine cover modified to accommodate mechanical fan as part of
heavy-duty cooling

Oil filter location moved from side of block to chain case cover

One-piece rear crank seal assembly is molded onto a stamping and
replaces three parts

Two-piece structural oil pan for noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
Lower portion is steel for impact resistance; upper bolts on and is a
structural tie to the transmission. The upper is made of aluminum

Oil capacity with filter is increased to 6 qt (5.7 L) to meet Jeep
requirements for engine lubrication

Interesting - thanks for the info - I haven't seen this before. It looks like they made some improvements to this engine for its use in a Wrangler. There was an interview with the chief engineer for the JK on JeepNewsNow and he said very clearly that except for mounting the engine for rear wheel drive it was the exact same engine as in the minivans - this info seems to contradict that.

In any case - I still have seen no evidence of an oil leak problem.
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

Unlike most car salesman, I am consumed by knowing the truth and by learning from whatever accurate source I can, the reality of any given situation both technically speaking and in terms of my ability to share reality. In other words, If my managers above me tell me something, I don't neccessarily buy into it unless I can learn to verify there information...This is where most of the "I spoke to the salesman and he said..or he didn't know...." comes from.

I do however, work for an organization that can and will provide me with the reality of any given situation from the manufacturing side of things. On that note, I have not seen or heard of any oil leak issue and by reviewing the 3.8 tech adaptation, I can't see where one would develop (to the point where production would be halted).

Current Rides: 1993 Grand Wagoneer, 1992 Cherokee
Past: 1982 CJ-7, 1986 CJ-7, 1994 YJ
IGZLBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.