Alright here is an update to setting up a suspension to any Jeep JK. I want to say that what I post here can be done with any setup whatsoever. This stuff here is what I have done to help everyone out there when they ask "will this work"
I have discovered through this that a high majority of offroad parts out there are trusting/assuming that you have atleast 2.5" of bumpstop. We saw that in how the JKS adjustable front trackbar hit the diff without the 2.5" being added. I also encountered problems with a component that I will talk about more below.
First I will start with a few comments about my particular setup and how it has treated me through the summer.
This setup has been great so far. I have taken it on 12+ hour wheeling trips and never been uncomfortable or ready to get out of the driver seat.
Tires: The Duratracs keep surprising me even after owning them for the last 4 years. They take abuse like any mud tire out there and never slip up. The most damage that they got was getting the outer treads chewed up a bit when trying to rescue a hydro locked JK out of the bottom of a canyon by spinning all my wheels up a gravel inline of about 30 degrees.
Bilstein 5100s: During the first 500 miles or so I thought that the Bilsteins were really stiff, that changed however after they broke in and now these puppies absorb everything. Taking them on forests roads is a breeze and they make the ride seem like your cruising down the street in front of your house. Can't say enough about these. One drawback that I do have for them though is the amount of down travel that they have. I know this is not anything that they can help but if I had to be picky thats what I would say. I am looking at either shock extension now, or maybe even swapping the shocks out for a p/n 2" longer if it exists.
OME HD 2" lift springs: These things are great. Even after about 7k miles on the Jeep they have only settled about 1/4".
Clayton control arms: I love these control arms. There is nothing that is going to bend them. They are massive. I highly recommend them. I was concerned that they only had one JJ at the axle end, but these things flex like no other. I can only say good things about these arms.
Now, let's get to the informative stuff. While doing the lift the bumpstop measurements were taken, you can read about that in the first couple posts.
The front bumpstops were the most involved. The install started with tearing down the front end again. The shocks where removed the trackbar disconnected from the axle end, and for good measure the front lower control arms were disconnected from the axle end as well. Finally, with all this disconnected I was able to just pull the springs out, no need for spring compressors!
First step was to prepare the bumpstops themselves. For the front Zone Offroad body lift pucks 3" tall by 3" in diameter were purchased. The spring perches on the JK axle are 3.5" wide so a 3" diameter puck works perfectly.
Since only 2.5" of bumpstop were needed the pucks were trimmed down by 1/2".
To attach the pucks to the perches grade 8 1/2-13 bolts 3" long were used.
The spring perches were then drilled and tapped.
And lastly the pucks were installed.
We did not end up cycling the suspension in the rear, thus we did not remove the springs, shocks, trackbar, or control arms. The setup in the rear actually allows for bumpstops to be installed with the Jeep sitting on the ground at ride height.
The rear were far easier than the fronts. On the rear axle of JK's there is a spot that is flat with two holes already on the flat. Perfect for bumpstop extensions (maybe Jeep knew people were going to install aftermarket parts on their product?)
For the actually bumpstop 3" tall x 4" wide x 1/4" wall sqaure tubing was used. the two holes were traced onto the tubing and then holes were drilled on the tubing and the bumpstops were installed.
While crawling around the front of the Jeep it was discovered that the lower control arms were rubbing on the top of the control arm brackets. Time to bring out the angle grinder to fix this problem.
So after reinstalling the control arms and reattaching the trackbar the front suspension was cycled to check to make sure everything was clearing. TIme for lots of pictures.
On the last picture you can see how close the tire gets to the tub mounts and the front swaybar. Because of this I recommend anyone with 35's to atleast run 2.5" of bumpstops to avoid hitting anything under the front end under full flex.
Now, in the first post I showed the interference between the front tires and the stock bumper. To fix this I ordered the VDP stubby endcaps. Eventually I want to upgrade to an aftermarket bumper, but as I want to get the suspension and drivability of the Jeep up to where I want it, a bumper is just not in the budget quite yet so these will work for now. The install on this was very easy. More pictures to show the process.
The color on the endcaps is different when you install them, but it get a lot less noticeable after you get them a little dirty.
Finally I have some flexing pictures while out on the trail.
As you can see these pictures were at almost full bump, still had maybe 1/2" of uptravel but did not feel safe getting out of the jeep when I had the back tire off the ground.
Everything works well and I get no rubbing, except for one little spot that was not tested.
Looks like it will be a stubby bumper that I upgrade to when the time comes.
Finally a fun wheeling shot at a trail in the area that I did this weekend.
So, that is all for now. I hope this write up helps someone out there when they are researching their lifts. There will be more to come, but I might move that stuff over to a build thread since most of it will not be relevant to a proper suspension setup.