JK or KJ? First Post! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK or KJ? First Post!

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
majeepfan

JK or KJ? First Post!

This is my first post to the forum as I have just joined.

I am not, however, new to the Jeep scene. I currently do not own a Jeep but have owned a ZJ back when I was in college.

I was interested in gauging everybodies opinion about which would probably be a better model to research and seriously look into to get back into the Jeep scene, and onto the trails!!!

I have always liked the KJ but have recently seen and read about the JK especially the 4 door version and really like that as well.

Is the Liberty just as worthy on the trails as the JK most certainly will be? My first guess is that the JK will be better on the trails than the KJ.

This next Jeep which I may purchase in the future, would also serve as my daily driver, so I would only be looking at light mods and somewhat moderate trails.

Still learning a lot about the current Jeep offerings and the 4x4 world in general so I look foward to many posts and threads on this forum.

Thanks for listening!

majeepfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, and a fellow m******* wave to you

The KJ has IFS, the new JK has solid axles. The new JK is going to be a lot more capable on the trails.

In my opinion, the only options you have is either a TJ or a JK.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
table
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majeepfan
Is the Liberty just as worthy on the trails as the JK most certainly will be? My first guess is that the JK will be better on the trails than the KJ.
The JK will be more trail worthy than the Liberty - your guess is right. Also, a 4-door JK will probably feel more familiar to you than an 07 Liberty. I say go for the JK...
Unread 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
Ghostjacker

i'd go for the JK since it doesn't have IFS, although i'd go for the 2dr since i think the unlimited just looks uglier
Unread 05-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostjacker
i think the unlimited just looks uglier
I wish that choosing a car was that easy for me.

I have to worry how it actually functions.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
Ghostjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
I wish that choosing a car was that easy for me.

I have to worry how it actually functions.
sorry i didn't want to make it seem like that's all i care about in a jeep, but i find the LWB wranglers (TJ included) to be really ugly. like aztec ugly. well not that bad but you get my drift.
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
majeepfan

Thanks for the Replies!!!

Thanks for the responses. I also prefer the JK over the liberty, but since I would also use this as a daily driver I wasn't sure if it would be as good as the liberty.

For example, since the doors come off, are things like power windows and locks even available? I really don't care personally about power anything, for me the less you have the less its going to break down, but since it will be the family SUV as well, I know the wife would maybe demand the power accessory appointments.

I have never owned a wrangler before, so I probably should do some lurking in those forums to find out more about the overall design.
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Rommel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The new JKs will have power doors and windows available via a quick disconnect. They are also the most "rider friendly" Jeeps yet, much to some old schoolers dismay.

Best bet is to wait until they are out and check out the stealership.

-Romm
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #9
majeepfan

Thanks Rommel!

I can see why some old schoolers may not like that. And I agree, for somebody who is just looking for a trail rider, but to have the features that make it a good trail ride and a good "rider friendly" jeep the rest of the time to me is the ideal.
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
72cj5er
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostjacker
sorry i didn't want to make it seem like that's all i care about in a jeep, but i find the LWB wranglers (TJ included) to be really ugly. like aztec ugly. well not that bad but you get my drift.

this same discussion was done many times over when the the "new" CJ7s came out. you had all the old 5ers and 3Bers out there talking about the long length that wont go on a trail good, the wierd sharp corner for a door that "everyone will frog thier elbows on" types of things, Then when the CJ8 "truck" came out. oh this was an abomination of the Jeep line, then we all came to love the 7s and 8s till the squarelights came out and it all started again. my point to this is everyone has opinions and like it or not they do eventually fade.

in the end, we will all come to use em all like Jeeps. Im just glad they still mostly resemble the good ole' Jeeps of yesteryear.
04 LJ Unlimited Wrangler
never far from a good trail http://scott.arrington-family.us
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!
72cj5er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
majeepfan

I have noticed that with every brand that has its loyal following such as Jeep does. There seems to be resistance to new models that are released. But once people get into them, and start using them, they fall in love with them.

I am with 72cj5er on this one!

I am still glad that the overall look of the new JK is still based on the classic jeep look that has been around for years but with updated styling!
Unread 06-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #12
InfernoRedCRD

We have two Jeeps, an 06 JK Sport and an 06 KJ LTD CRD and both are very good vehicles. This is my second KJ and both were great! Since you mentioned that you would use it for some trailing and as a daily ride, I would recommend the KJ CRD. I get on average 32mpg on the highway and 25 city, plus with the Nav Radio it makes for a great toy when off-roading; you can actually leave a trail kind of like dropping bread crumbs to find your way back to civilization! (Plus this is the last year you can get the KJ CRD---at least until they decide to use the Blue-tec). Hope that helps.

The KJ CRD's are hard to come by, especially if you are as picky as I was during my purchase. But with all the incentives right now, like 60 months @ 0%, it's worth it. Whatever you decide to get, please be sure to use a 5-Star Dealer! It does make a difference... Ask anyone here. Hope that helps some..
InfernoRedCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #13
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoRedCRD
We have two Jeeps, an 06 JK Sport and an 06 KJ LTD CRD and both are very good vehicles.
Don't you mean '06 TJ Sport, the JK is an 07 model and hasn't been released yet.
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Chazwozel

Quote:
This is my first post to the forum as I have just joined.

I am not, however, new to the Jeep scene. I currently do not own a Jeep but have owned a ZJ back when I was in college.

I was interested in gauging everybodies opinion about which would probably be a better model to research and seriously look into to get back into the Jeep scene, and onto the trails!!!

I have always liked the KJ but have recently seen and read about the JK especially the 4 door version and really like that as well.

This next Jeep which I may purchase in the future, would also serve as my daily driver, so I would only be looking at light mods and somewhat moderate trails.

Still learning a lot about the current Jeep offerings and the 4x4 world in general so I look foward to many posts and threads on this forum.

Thanks for listening!

If you're looking for a trail worthy Jeep the 06 TJ or the JK Rubi will give you the most bang for your buck. I have an 04' Rubi with light mods. It's a GREAT daily driver as well as an awesome offroading machine. Granted I'm not picky when it comes to luxury in my daily drivers. It's not fast on the highway, it's loud when the doors are off (which is always), theres no truck space but in my opinion that's what owning a Wrangler is all about. I'm not a huge fan of the 05-06 Wranglers having a 6 speed (but it must be nice on the highway )

Personally the 4 door version to me is the opposite of what the Wrangler represents. They're not supposed to be roomy, they're not suppose to have power windows or door locks, OR LACK 4WD!

Call me old fasioned but if you're looking for a more luxury oriented Jeep with offroad capabilities the Wrangler isn't for you nor should it be made a luxury SUV, the new Patriot looks like it'll be great for that just that purpose.

I dunno, the 4-door Wrangler just seems like a Cherokee wannabe with the Wrangler name slapped on (although if you look at it it kinda looks like an H3 )

As far as the Liberty goes...I've seen videos of a KJ pulling out a stuck H2

I think for what you're looking for your best bet is either the KJ or Patriot. My opinion of the 4 -door JK is biased but take it for what it's worth.
Chazwozel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #15
USAFCOP
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I also prefer the JK over the liberty, but since I would also use this as a daily driver I wasn't sure if it would be as good as the liberty.

For example, since the doors come off, are things like power windows and locks even available? I really don't care personally about power anything, for me the less you have the less its going to break down, but since it will be the family SUV as well, I know the wife would maybe demand the power accessory appointments.

I have never owned a wrangler before, so I probably should do some lurking in those forums to find out more about the overall design.

Jeep found a winner, the new wrangerl is the new faimly SUV...IM not flaming just dying a little inside...

Hopefully a new CJ-7 project in my garage Soon enough.
USAFCOP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.