JK Justification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Justification

Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
jsmaem1106
2002 TJ Wrangler 

JK Justification

Ok all, Im really trying to talk myself out of buying a JK. I have owned a YJ and 3 TJs and really liked my TJ but now that I'm a dad of 2 I really like the idea of 4 doors. Couple of questions to help me decide, please help!

1. Seems like a lot of buyers are negative on the 3.8L V6. If I buy an 07 will DC bring out a bigger engine in 09 or 10 to satisfy those who think the motor is lacking?

2. Do you think the JK will stay relatively unchanged in body style for the next 10 or so years as its predecessors the TJ, YJ, CJ7, etc....

3. Previous TJ owners.....is it really worth it?

thanks for the input

jsmaem1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

More than likely, it will see a new motor at some point during its lifespan

It will probably stay unchanged, like every other Wrangler before it.

If you've got a family with kids. Having 4 doors is probably a good idea

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmaem1106
Ok all, Im really trying to talk myself out of buying a JK. I have owned a YJ and 3 TJs and really liked my TJ but now that I'm a dad of 2 I really like the idea of 4 doors. Couple of questions to help me decide, please help!

1. Seems like a lot of buyers are negative on the 3.8L V6. If I buy an 07 will DC bring out a bigger engine in 09 or 10 to satisfy those who think the motor is lacking?

2. Do you think the JK will stay relatively unchanged in body style for the next 10 or so years as its predecessors the TJ, YJ, CJ7, etc....

thanks for the input
For me, the merits of the JK are irrelevant to the decision-making process. I would be asking myself:

a). Is the vehicle I have now dependable and reliable and does it meet my needs?

If yes, then do not buy. If no, then go buy whatever you want, JK included.

Good luck!
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

thanks for the input

yes

yes

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! no regrets here!
Unread 02-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
pdxbubba
2006 KJ Liberty 

I believe whole-heartedly that a diesel will be in its future... being a Dad of two myself (both in carseats) am I really going to wait another year or two?!?!? I don't think so.
Unread 02-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
luckyjeeper

buy it, you will love it. why wait! no offense to TJ owners, I was one just a month ago, but I could never go back! Best jeep I've ever owned!
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][B]Virescit Vulnere Virtus[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
luckyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

I don't have any issues with the engine, you just have to remember that it's not the I6, it needs to rev higher to develop more power - and it does develop more power than the I6 when it's in it's power band.
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Diesel0312

Most of the complaints I've heard about the engine came from people that either didn't own a JK or had never even been in one.

From actual owners, all I really here is "it's different from the I6"
Mods: Windshield mounted Hella FF1000 driving lights, Rugged Ridge front grab handles, CLC rear grab handles, Teraflex 2.5" BB, Quadratec boor handle covers, Bestop spare cover, Custom front bumper, 17X9 Pro Comp 1079's, 305/17/R17 Buckshot Mudders.
In the works: Custom rear bumper.
Diesel0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel0312
Most of the complaints I've heard about the engine came from people that either didn't own a JK or had never even been in one.

Exactly....
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
incubus2432

I've owned two TJ's in the past and loved 'em.....but I wouldn't trade my JK for one. I also agree that the 3.8 is great.....just different than the 4.0. Certainly an excellent Jeep.
incubus2432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel0312

yup, you drive it differently. and i like it!
Unread 02-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
stathunter

Go ahead a buy it. Jeeps hold there value and if you ever get sick of it you can sell it and wont loose your shirt like you would on most other vehicles.
I have a TJ and am going to buy a JK becasue...........well I like it. Nope it is not an I6 but they are never coming back and heck complaining will not change anything. If you like it buy it...........no one needs it you just want it. Shop it around and buy it!

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
strykermp5

Quote:

DO YOU PLAN ON DRAG RACING?? I TOW A DOUBLE TRAILER OF 1200 CC JET SKIIS OR MY 28' PONTOON BOAT WITH NO TROUBLE

ASIDE FROM MINOR CHANGES LIKE TIGHTENING UP THE FENDERS A BIT... YES

AGAIN, YES... ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN OR MULTIPLE OCCUPANTS, BUT STILL WANT THE FLEXIBILITY AND DIVERSITY OF A WRANGLER... OTHERWISE, BUY AN ESCALADE WITH 24" SPINNERS AND A GAT PIECE (gun)

Good luck with your decision!

Optional Equipment:
M4 (x2)
Sig 226
strykermp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
luckyjeeper

My TJ had the 4cyl. stick. I DON'T miss the I4, I do, however, miss the stick/tranny on my tj. I'm a JK owner for a month now and have yet to get used to the transmission and how stiff the shifting is. otherwise, i love it.
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][B]Virescit Vulnere Virtus[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
luckyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #15
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

i was a TJ owner, and i had the option of jumping on the last of the 06, or ordering a JK. i went with the JK. it really was a no-brainer for me (which means i was torn for weeks). there are just so many mechanical improvements on the JK. granted, i'm not at all a fan of the bumpers, and the fenders, while much cheaper to replace than sheetmetal if you rub a tree or a rock, well, i'm not a fan of those either. i'm of the school of though that the low rpm 4.0 was a more bulletproof engine than the new V6, but the power is better.

and it's a jeep. if i don't like something on it, i can take it off, and put something else in there...
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.