JK and Interior Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK and Interior Lights

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

JK and Interior Lights

Another thing I want to address in my new JK is the lighting inside. There is none... well, not enough. No lights in the footwells, some switches are not lit, none in places like the glove box, etc. I figure I want what ever I put in to be water proof and low voltage/12V.

- Vanity miror with light for front passenger (I'm married, she wants)
- Ambient LED Footwell lights, front and rear.
- Brighter lights for the cabin and cargo overhead lamps, LED
- Ambient light installed inside glove box, maybe the console compartment

So... the questions:

1) What are the bulbs for the existing cargo and cabin overhead lights? If I know the model I'll post up what the replacement LED lights are and sources.

2) Where in the cabin/under the dash are available lines for the interior lights that I can tap as power on?

I found some interesting choices for interior ambient lights at http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm

I would love to replace the two lower power window switches and all the door lock witches with ones that are lit like the top two power window switches. Not sure about the doors yet, but the window switches are not seperate items in a mount but a combined assembly that does not look easy to open and swap out switches so that's out (for now).

I don't think I want to wire anything up the window frame to a vanity mirror so I'm going to go with some battery operated LED model I think (found on Amazon).

GNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

good luck with the vanity mirror. My wife wanted one too. But we were never able to find one that would work. The way the visors are designed makes it damn near impossible unless you use those ugly ones with elastic straps that hold it.

My wife got over it And now she even has her own JK (also with no vanity mirror)

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
elfamiglia
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am in the same boat. Wife wants vanity mirror so I found the clip-on kind. Took off the clips, used 3M exterior double side tape and sticked it on the visor. It has been on there for 5 months and hasn't fallen off.
elfamiglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

I found a mirror for $5 made by Bell on Amazon. I figured I woudl do the same, double side tape it in place. I already removed the fugly giant stickers on the visors.

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-00449-LIG...d=TBK3XOQ66SDY
Unread 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
JK-Ford
2007 JK Wrangler 

GNNR, Man you have a good list of mods to do.I'll be glad to help you out as much as I can. Let's start with this one:
Quote:
2) Where in the cabin/under the dash are available lines for the interior lights that I can tap as power on?
Some of the models have a circuit just under the stearing wheel for the footwell light mod. you could look up your model in the parts and accessory section of the jeep websit and see if it is avaliable for you. However, I would not recomend running a bunch of lights off of this circuit. I recomend running new power for all of the mods you listed.
Quote:
Vanity miror with light for front passenger (I'm married, she wants)
If you cant find an aftermarket mirrior you like, try the junk yards. Running new power up the window frame is not that hard.
Quote:
Brighter lights for the cabin and cargo overhead lamps, LED
Im sure that the make aftermarket upgrades for these. Sorry cant help with part numbers. Just go to your local auto parts store.
Quote:
Ambient light installed inside glove box, maybe the console compartment
This should be easy also. Once again just pick out lights that you like at the auto parts store. I have also heard of using the gluve box lights from a wreck at the junk yard.
Quote:
I would love to replace the two lower power window switches and all the door lock witches with ones that are lit like the top two power window switches.
This one is a hard one. You will have to find direct replacements with the lights. Probably a no go.

I have done several lighting mods and am thinking about doing some that you have sudgested. Let me know if I can help.
Thanks
Randy
JK-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

At a minimum I have to know where in teh wire harness and what the wire is that is 'on' for say the headlights or some other ambient light if using a switched source.

However, as I understand it at least, many of the LED lights and kits sold for cars are direct 12v connects only these days because the load draw is so small (assuming you don't have many dozens or perhaps hundreds of lights).

For instance:

A pair of these under the dash in the footwell, perhaps with a bit of lightly sanded thin plexy glued over the face if they are to brigh or not difuse enough, would work up front... but where to connect them so they come on when you turn on the dash lights for instance.

These under the front seats facing back or under the rear seats facing forward could provide light for the back footwell. Again, bit o lightly sanded plexy if too bright.

I've seen write ups of http://www.neonstring.com/cart/produ...products_id=97 used in the cups holders with a dimmer. Again, just don't know where to tap into for the dash lights under dimmer control. Not sure about that one. LEDs drilled in are too directional and bright I think...
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfamiglia View Post
I am in the same boat. Wife wants vanity mirror so I found the clip-on kind. Took off the clips, used 3M exterior double side tape and sticked it on the visor. It has been on there for 5 months and hasn't fallen off.
Thatís exactly what I did. The mirrors wonít stay on with the clips because the visors are too hard. It just canít get a good grip like the TJís could. So like you, I went the tape route. Mine lasted about 6 months. My Granddaughter (12 at the time, now all grown up at 13, hummÖ?) is the only female who rides with me and she insisted that I have one. She is sooo cool (she loves off-roading) that she usually gets what she wants. Iíll have to re-install it before too long though.

The battery ones work fine. Plenty of light too.
Unread 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
JK-Ford
2007 JK Wrangler 

I installed the LEDs in the center console just under the air vents to give me light on the shifters. Three was probably to many. Two would have probably been better. I picked up the dash light circuit behind the center console. Specificaly at the ac controll nobs. This allows your lights to come on and dimm with the dash lights. You can pick up the dome light circuit at the passanger foot well. There is a large harness there. This would turn on the lights when the dome light turns on. I do not remember the wires at this time. I'll get back to you on that.

A word of caution. D.C. only installed minimal wire size to handel installed loads. Increasing these loads could damage your system. They also installed some safe gards to prevent you from doing just that. The on-board computer could since the additional load and shut down the circuit. Some people have already experienced this.
JK-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
y2k8jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfamiglia View Post
Ditto, except I left the clips on, using a little of the 3M tape, no problems in 1 year. Someone I know also used the little battery powered LED lights that you push once to turn on for extra lighting. They work well.
y2k8jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

You know, I've been thinking about it... wonder if another visor could be swaped in onto the JK visor mount (since it's arm is setup for the specific swing to our door windows and all that). Woudl be nice to get some dark grey ones with vanity lights/mirror and maybe even home link installed.

Or perhaps hack up our existing visors to install those items... I see visors with both for 50 bucks shipped on ebay, if ours is thick enough it could work, then all you need do is run the wiring down.
Unread 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I thought we all liked the rough, unfinished, don't care if I scratch it lifestyle of the JK. Now we want fancy interior lights? What's next, heated steering wheels??
Unread 02-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Seat heaters maybe...

Found the mopar kit... http://www.justforjeeps.com/amlikit.html

Hehe, wee bit pricey, ya think...
Unread 02-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think what I'm going to do is install red front and rear footwell LEDs, center console, and maybe a few in the under edges of the center stack connected to the AC vent dimmer light... draw there should be fine, seems from what others have done there haven't been issues. Then I will get some bright white ones and connect em to the dome light circuit (replacing those with LED lights too, brighter and less draw) so that I have plenty of cab light when you open a door.
Unread 02-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
y2k8jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
I thought we all liked the rough, unfinished, don't care if I scratch it lifestyle of the JK. Now we want fancy interior lights? What's next, heated steering wheels??
haha, hey any creature comforts in my Jeep is for the wife....I don't even have a back seat, I make passengers sit on the floor....haha
y2k8jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine. I may add some more for the footwells, but these do the job and are not annoying at night.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.