JK Hemi Plug Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Hemi Plug Change

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

JK Hemi Plug Change

I wanted to pass along a few things I discovered while changing the plugs in my 5.7 VVT Rubicon Unlimited. What should have been a 2-3 hour job went way over. It started with my choice of spark plug tools. The Mac with dual universal joints slipped right in the first plug hole. When I went to remove the plug it wedged into the plug tube. The top was barely sticking out of the top of the head. A few hours later of gentle persuation and finally a little force after getting some images online of what I was up against and it was out. You can see where the rivet on both sides was digging in. Be careful what tool you choose.

worsttool.jpg  
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

I had to pull the TIPM to get to the stuck tool and the dual batteries to get to the passenger back cylinders to get access to the plugs and pull the coils.
tipm-pulled.jpg  
'88 YJ
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

I found it easiest to pull all the coil packs at once to give myself a little more room. Here you can see my new spark plug tool sticking out of the head. The tool extension below worked great.
pullingplug.jpg   besttool.jpg  
'88 YJ
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

After 57k miles the plugs looked pretty good. I put some copper anti seize on the new double platinum APP5325 Autolites and put all 16 of them back in.
57kmileplug.jpg   newplugs.jpg  
'88 YJ
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

All buttoned up. Here is the pick of the passenger side of the hemi before I started. Not a lot of room in the engine bay there.
gettingstarted.jpg  
'88 YJ

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.