JK Grill Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Grill Removal

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

JK Grill Removal

JK Grill Removal

If you own a JK, at some point you'll need to remove the grill.

First, locate the six plastic pins/sleeves across the top of grill

These are the only tools you'll need. Small flat tip to get under lip of plastic pin, needle nose if you can't get it to pop out with flat tip.

Put flat tip under lip of plastic pin and pry up(I usually put a finger under screwdriver for leverage)

Same procedure for the inner sleeve.

You should wind up with six pins and six inner sleeves.

Next, locate your turn signal lamps, behind the grill.

Leave the plug together, simply grab and turn counterclockwise and pull rearward.

The top of your grill is now loose.

Now grip firmly, about halfway down the grill and pull toward you, wiggling it as you do. There are clips across the lower section of the grill to work loose.

As you can see, I took a different route to protect my radiator.

That's all there is to it...........

EXCEPT for the most important part...............

Unread 07-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Joel

With all of these great how-to's in our new F.A.Q. we will be able to use the threads for all the good stuff like wheeling pic's and discussions on how easy it is to build a JK with all of the info at your fingertips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
You are welcome....

I only wish That I'd taken pics of more stuff through the years....
I feel the same way.
When I'm on my back and covered in grease, just bashed my knuckles on the shock mount and hit my head on the sway-bar, the last thing I want to do is get the camera for some "Glamor Shots"

I made this its own thread and moved it out here so people can add to and comment on the subject.
You have a link in the F.A.Q.

JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
JK Grill Removal

If you own a JK, at some point you'll need to remove the grill.

First, locate the six plastic pins/sleeves across the top of grill

These are the only tools you'll need. Small flat tip to get under lip of plastic pin, needle nose if you can't get it to pop out with flat tip.

Put flat tip under lip of plastic pin and pry up(I usually put a finger under screwdriver for leverage)

Same procedure for the inner sleeve.

You should wind up with six pins and six inner sleeves.

Next, locate your turn signal lamps, behind the grill.

Leave the plug together, simply grab and turn counterclockwise and pull rearward.

The top of your grill is now loose.

Now grip firmly, about halfway down the grill and pull toward you, wiggling it as you do. There are clips across the lower section of the grill to work loose.

As you can see, I took a different route to protect my radiator.

That's all there is to it...........

EXCEPT for the most important part...............

Great write-up Joel !
I guess the 07' hold downs were a bit different . Mine were like little Philips screws except tended to not un-screw . Same basic deal though .
I like the last pic the best ! .........
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
JWA

Might be worth noting that if you are going to pull the bulb out instead of unplugging it that you should be VERY careful no to touch it or let anything get on it. Oils can cause hot spots which cause them to blow out early. Probably safer to leave them in and disconnect.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
AlanZ
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree with JWA. Seen this many times when I was an auto tech.

Great write up!

Oh, and mine has the stupid screw ones, good to know I can replace them with the pull types.
AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Ajaxxx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone using a screen cover noticed heating issues? In the photos I would guess the open area of the screen as less than 50%. At Iowa State we did high speed airflow testing of screens, and you reach a point where the screen effectively stops flowing air because of turbulance. Our project determined that this turbulance really became an issue when the screen open area reaches about 65% or lower.

Just a lab test, but something to keep in mind when placing a screen flat over the coolers.

IowaAndy
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's good you got it off before you put a winch right in front of it. That adds to the fun!
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxxx View Post
Has anyone using a screen cover noticed heating issues? In the photos I would guess the open area of the screen as less than 50%. At Iowa State we did high speed airflow testing of screens, and you reach a point where the screen effectively stops flowing air because of turbulance. Our project determined that this turbulance really became an issue when the screen open area reaches about 65% or lower.

Just a lab test, but something to keep in mind when placing a screen flat over the coolers.

IowaAndy
No overheating issues....

As a matter of fact, I recently talked to a guy than ran a bug screen similar to mine through the desert w/no problem.

The electric fan works great.
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Might be worth noting that if you are going to pull the bulb out instead of unplugging it that you should be VERY careful no to touch it or let anything get on it. Oils can cause hot spots which cause them to blow out early. Probably safer to leave them in and disconnect.
The plugs are a PITA, and so are the plugs for the headlights.

I pull my grill off regularly and haven't had any issues with the bulbs...none.

The housing is large enough that you don't need to finger the bulb.
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
keltonkrew
2008 JK Wrangler 

incomplete write up....that beer is still full....in order to be a true representation, there should only be a swallow left in the glass, and a new bottle next to it!
keltonkrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
duker51

Dude, please tell me what material that screen is made of, and how you attached it to the jeep. That looks great, and I would like to do the same to mine. Awesome write-up also, thanks!!
duker51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
echo1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker51 View Post
Dude, please tell me what material that screen is made of, and how you attached it to the jeep. That looks great, and I would like to do the same to mine. Awesome write-up also, thanks!!
I did a similar one just the other day, I used black aluminum window screen. Went with the method described in these two threads:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...build-1074015/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...d-pics-784840/
The one in this thread seems to be mounted to the vehicle itself whereas mine and the ones described in the two links are attached to the grille.

Total cost was maybe $15.
echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
duker51

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
I did a similar one just the other day, I used black aluminum window screen. Went with the method described in these two threads:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...build-1074015/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...d-pics-784840/
The one in this thread seems to be mounted to the vehicle itself whereas mine and the ones described in the two links are attached to the grille.

Total cost was maybe $15.
Awesome, thanks for the info echo1.
duker51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
It's good you got it off before you put a winch right in front of it. That adds to the fun!
Good point! I've talked to many JK'ers that have had to modify the grill(usually the lower clips?rubber tabs) to remove the grill.

I benefited from them and their experience, hopefully others will read this and check measurements etc. before slapping a winch on the front.
I lowered my winch mount between the frame rails to compensate.

Thanks for adding to this discussion
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I did this screen this way for 2 reasons;

First reason, cheap and easy. This is stamped aluminum, picked it up at Home Depot(10/12 bucks).
Super easy to cut, tin snips or something.

Second reason, it's not attached to the grill! I take my grill off and carefully spray paint it. Can you do that with the ones attached between the grill slats?

That's my reasoning, you have your own Jeep, do it your way! This Forum is about ideas and sharing, get to it!

Here's some additional info for those with questions

This is the sheet material that I used, by the tire to show size.(I already made one grill screen outa this)

I tucked the screen behind my driving light brackets in the second pic. If you don't have brackets, a self tapper about 1/2'" long would work.(use your imagination)

There's plenty of plastic up front and finding a place to land a screw is easy. Third pic shows two places that I put screws.
Keep in mind when you are making a grill/radiator screen, there is a contour to the grill and you want to keep that contour all the way to the top.

At the top,(fourth pic) I used felt pads. These are simply 4x4 self adhesive felt pads. I cut them into smaller shims. You can use anything you want. Screen needs about 3/4" of shimming to keep contour.(you'll see)

Fifth pic is to show how much crap stays off the radiator!

As I've said, it's your Jeep, do it your way.
001.jpg   003.jpg   005.jpg   006.jpg   007.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.