Is a JK good in snow/ice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a JK good in snow/ice?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
WantJeep

Is a JK good in snow/ice?

I saw, in the general Jeep forum, where some said the only jeep they felt was good in snow was a Grand Cherokee all wheel drive. What do you folks have to say? If you do like the JK on snow/ice which tires have you found works best...the well liked duratrac I read has thin sidewalls which may not be good for more isolated Northern areas.

My son was soooooo close to buying an unlimited 4 door auto JK earlier this week....the salesman had said he'd move it off to the side, but when son went back to get the papers (next day and at the scheduled time) he was told it was sold. I have a feeling the more senior salesman, that was busy with another customer, phoned and warned someone that son was looking at it as well and they hurried down at first light (it had sat on the lot for a month). Doesn't break my heart as it was silver and I'd rather he get the red (red will show up better on Northern logging roads)....he would rather have it too since the green he wanted is no longer available.

Son is now back up in Northern Alberta so it will be another month before he will either order a Jeep or buy one off a lot (but now it won't be from the aforementioned dealer). Must also mention he needs a more truck like clearance which is why he eyed the JK in the first place.

WantJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
DANBJEEP2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

I hope it is.I just bought a 2012 JKU. It dose not have LSD but neither did my Liberty and it was great in the snow.
DANBJEEP2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
WantJeep

What is LSD? (a real newbie here) :S
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

ESP/ARM/BAS are features that make the Wrangler JK one of the most controllable rigs in foul weather. There are purists who will say that the computer control is not for them. I for one have taken a JKU Rubicon out in axle deep snow and ice. It was up in Mt Hood, Oregon. The rig tracked like it was springtime on a hardtop road. A blip of the gas pedal was ignored. Punching it caused the computer to engage the brake on the spinning wheel and provide traction to the wheel that didn't. Hitting icy patches caused the braking system to apply and slow me down. Attempts by me to engage my inner child failed miserably. Disabling ESP brought back the fun and the fishtailing. But enabled, I was so impressed I bought my wife one. I know she will be fine in foul weather.

My .00002

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantJeep View Post
Limited Slip Differential. A diff with clutch packs that will bias power to wheels turning at different speeds.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Limited slip differential.

As far as handling goes, both diffs open do better than a clutch style LSD in the back IMO. A torsen style LS like a truetrac works wonders in the snow however.

A JKU with decent tires for snow should handle very very well.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
DYNOGUY
2012 JK Wrangler 

i just bought a 12 JKU but we don't get much snow down here but when we do it's bad since not in the way of removal equipment. I grew up in northern ohio/mich and had a '90 XJ which is pretty close to what a JKU is without the traction control and it did fine, i had BFG A/T on that and also have them on the new JKU.
DYNOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
mkfx35
2011 JK Wrangler 

snow yes, ice? NO. not many vehicles are
mkfx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
DANBJEEP2012
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantJeep View Post
Limited slip differential
DANBJEEP2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

It all comes down to tires. Get studded snow tires. All things being equal (they pretty much are on 4X4's these days) all that really matters is the tire. Every company has some kind of limited slip or electronic differential lock these days. That's why I always get a kick out of the 13yr olds on youtube screaming about how Fords are Better than Chevy's in the mud. Ultimately, it comes down to the vehicles interface with the road surface.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

During the blizzard last year, I was very impressed with my JK. My old YJ would be driven in 4wd and no faster that 40mph. After that it felt like I was going to lose it (and on an occassion or 2, did). My JK was able to drive in 2wd and I found myself reaching 50mph and I felt totally in control. Of course I backed down to 40 again. No need to push my luck. I can't wait for this year with my new Duratracs.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
8figgas
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm waiting for the 30+inch storm we got last December, so I can try mine out. JKs were one of the few things I saw moving. Nitto Terra Grapplers
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
WantJeep

thank you everyone for your help and I'll have son read this thread when he is back in civilization!

He just bought and put winter tires on my RAV4 and I did mention to him that his Dad always drives slow (ie around 40mph) on ice. He of course reminded me this isn't his first winter driving (he drove his roommates vehicle during University...roommate wasn't a good winter driver). However I still worry since he has a 12 to 17 hour drive once he leaves here and heads North (he gets very short notice when he is needed). I'm sure he'll be Alberta bound to live soon.

I've seen many a 4x4 in the ditches up here (when highway is covered by black ice/ice/hard packed snow) but most were prolly driven by youngish drivers who thought, because they were in a 4x4, they could drive at speeds that a sane person would only do in mid summer on a dry highway.

another poster said : "for tires, you will want BFG AT/KO's. these are the best tires on the planet for snow/ice driving in my moe-fessional opinion. i live in the mountains of Southwestern Pa and have never been let down with them tires on any of my 4x4's."....so another tire to check out. (edited to say I've been told this one gets as hard as plastic so it's out).
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
It all comes down to tires. Get studded snow tires. All things being equal (they pretty much are on 4X4's these days) all that really matters is the tire. Every company has some kind of limited slip or electronic differential lock these days. That's why I always get a kick out of the 13yr olds on youtube screaming about how Fords are Better than Chevy's in the mud. Ultimately, it comes down to the vehicles interface with the road surface.
why dont you argue with tj owners? or talk about aev control arm brackets? im curious
08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Rdlynch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlynch2 View Post
why dont you argue with tj owners? or talk about aev control arm brackets? im curious
I leads to .

The rules are to remind me in case I find myself doing it. I always try to prevent
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.