JK going haywire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK going haywire

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
craiglow2010jk
2010 JK Wrangler 

JK going haywire

I got stuck in rain storm 2 days ago. I had about 3" of water on floor and dash was soaked. It will start but my dash lights don't work, the wipers won't shut off and it will not go in to gear. It's a 4 speed auto. If I pull battery wire and re hook it everything works correctly. As soon as I shut it off and restart it everything goes haywire again. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

craiglow2010jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Let it sit in some hot sun and dry out completely. That's all I can think of.
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you have a Communications bus problem. Anytime the bus goes down it automatically turns the headlamps and wipers on. I would check under the dash and start disconnecting connectors. See if any water drains out of them. Pull the floor plugs to let all the water drain out and dry her out really good. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some electrical contact spray to dry out all the connectors and pack them with a little dielectric grease in case this ever happens again.
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm with that guy ^^^

Maybe pull the dash apart and sit a fan inside. It takes very little to piss the canbus off...a finicky ground or an intermittent short from the water. Good luck.
Hi I'm terry and I like boobs, sheep, knives, guns, mobile homes, bomber hats and FSJs and old novas, the Ohio state buckeyes, younger women, planes, porsches, semi trucks, guys who spell their name THom, women who love cats and Prius', men who play or used to play rugby, thigh highs, red heads, blondes, brunettes, brown heads, and the dimples right above the crack of a womans bottom.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just adding to what the first couple of guys said. I usually use a dehumidifier inside, and close all the windows. Usually dry by morning, and when I say dry I mean really dry.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wrong post-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Same thing happened to me. Except after I reset the battery it went away. I took mine to the carwash and thoroughly vacuumed it out then left it to dry for a day in the Houston heat.
There have been others with the same issue after rain.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/e...dness-1548481/
HighandLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
craiglow2010jk
2010 JK Wrangler 

I checked all plugs on inside, cleaned and lubed them and still not fixed. every thing on inside is dry.
craiglow2010jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Doubting it. Either put a drying agent in it and button it up, or open it up if it is hot. And disconnect the battery through the process. The missus runs through every mudhole she can. And it takes MONTHS to dry it completely out.

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.