JK?? Front end SHAKING - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK?? Front end SHAKING

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

JK?? Front end SHAKING

So I have a friend back home (i'm away at school) who is giving me frustratingly little information on a problem, and I can't figure it out from the phone, maybe just because I only know XJ's. She's got a 4-door that she's not sure if is a 2006 or 07, i think it's an 07, and when she hits more than a minor bump at highways speed, it sometimes starts shaking REALLY badly, she says "it feels like the front end of the car is going to fall apart" and doesn't stop this until she comes to a stop and lets it sit for a minute and then takes off again. It's a certified preowned whatever and she's had it back to the dealer to be looked at multiple times about this, and they can't find anything that looks loose, worn or damaged. She said she'd heard of other people having a similar problem so I was hoping I could draw on the knowledge of Jeep Forum and see if I could find an explanation for her.

Sorry for the uncertainty on the year model, but I think its a JK, I'm not really sure when one wrangler ends and the other begins, my jeeps have both been cherokees, as have the other three jeeps i've actually laid hands on.

Thanks and Gig'Em!

bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

It's called death wobble. Have them balance and rotate the tires.. If parts arent worn, then it's the tires.
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yes, it's death wobble. Common amongst all jeeps. Usually a imbalance in your tires/front end. In my case I had a '07 2dr that did it on minor bumps, and it fixed it by getting new tires. I would rotate the tires, get a full alignment, balance, and so on. If it don't fix it, then it's something worn out. In that case, dealer needs to start replacing parts.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is the most comprehensive thread we have on the subject > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/
The most common cause is a loose track-bar. It may not be evident in a visual inspection, removal and inspection of the mounting bracket holes is the best way to check it out.
Good luck to her!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Death Wobble has nothing to do with unbalanced tires. 95% of the time, the bolts on the trackbar have become loose.

Someone who knows their way around a torque wrench needs to get under her Jeep and tighten everything back up before she gets hurt or suspension parts start failing.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Where did you get your statistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Death Wobble has nothing to do with unbalanced tires. 95% of the time, the bolts on the trackbar have become loose.

Someone who knows their way around a torque wrench needs to get under her Jeep and tighten everything back up before she gets hurt or suspension parts start failing.
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

95% of the time, every time.
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
So I have a friend back home (i'm away at school) who is giving me frustratingly little information on a problem, and I can't figure it out from the phone, maybe just because I only know XJ's. She's got a 4-door that she's not sure if is a 2006 or 07, i think it's an 07, and when she hits more than a minor bump at highways speed, it sometimes starts shaking REALLY badly, she says "it feels like the front end of the car is going to fall apart" and doesn't stop this until she comes to a stop and lets it sit for a minute and then takes off again. It's a certified preowned whatever and she's had it back to the dealer to be looked at multiple times about this, and they can't find anything that looks loose, worn or damaged. She said she'd heard of other people having a similar problem so I was hoping I could draw on the knowledge of Jeep Forum and see if I could find an explanation for her.

Sorry for the uncertainty on the year model, but I think its a JK, I'm not really sure when one wrangler ends and the other begins, my jeeps have both been cherokees, as have the other three jeeps i've actually laid hands on.

Thanks and Gig'Em!
I had an issue when my steering stabilizer went out that matches exactly what you are describing (front end felt like it was coming apart). So have that checked and balance the tires (again if you haven't done it in a while).
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Please stop spreading false information. It only hurts other people and makes you look like an idiot. Not saying you're an idiot.

I do agree though with tightening everything.
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

He isn't spreading false information. DW is caused by a loose track bar, or loose control arms, not unbalanced tires. Tires can induce a DW if suspension components are already loose, but are not causal.

Read planman's thread posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

It can be caused by xx number of things. No one is going to be able to tell you exactly what it is over this forum unless they are under that jeep. Read that comprehensive link on DW (that was previously posted in this thread) and narrow it down. If u have trouble narrowing it down then I'm sure "%95" of our forum users will be more than willing to help once u start eliminating different culprits. I can assure you that it's not the steering stabilizer. If that was a bad part then it would only help the death wobble make itself more prominent but is not the cause
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

guarnibl - when someone with actual experience and research says it DW is usually not caused by out of balance tires, a bad steering stabilizer, worn shocks or such and that it is usually caused by a loose trackbar or control arms....this has been the actual experience of many, many DW cases and cures by those on this and other forums...so, not spreading bad info, just trying to prevent the actual spreading of false info by those with no actual experience with DW on a jeep....just my 2 cents. as has been said...a consensus...Planman has undoubtedly the best writeup on this issue...you would be well advised to read/research his findings and recommendations.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, after someone mentioned it I found Planman's thread on it. I'm three hours away from the jeep I'm just the only jeeper she knew to ask. As I said she's had it back to the dealer three times already to make sure everything's tightened and properly torqued, so I'll have her check alignment and tire/wheel balance next, if not that, maybe she just needs an independent mechanic to look it over. Dealers are prone to rushing cars out and missing little details.

Thanks again for all the input, I didn't mean to start any debates clearly there's a lot of different causes and therefore a lot of different views on the problem, and I really appreciate everyone's input.
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

My 2007 Wrangler had the death wobble. Replacing the tires fixed it, so either extremely worn tires, imbalance, or something is loose.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Metallheadd
1998 ZJ 

I had it happen. It was induced by a warped rotor that shook bad (very bad on a long decent)then caused the axle to have death wobble. The only thing I came up with it it was due to the 12mm bolts in the 9/16ths holes as stated in the above posted link. I checked, all is tight, but I will say it has the smallest steering stabilizer that I have ever seen.
Metallheadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.