JK front D44's (or lack of) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK front D44's (or lack of)

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
CrawlAK
2007 JK Wrangler 

JK front D44's (or lack of)

ive been looking for a used jk front d44 for some time now, and aside from the maybe once a year occasion where i spot one in the local salvage yard i have really struck out in my search. They seem to be almost non existent. my best guess is that folks snap them up from friends or other members pretty quick when they are available its my only guess. anyone have any ideas or resources where i might have luck?

CrawlAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you are covering the bases, they are a hot item and usually sell really fast. Even the non-jk guys want them. In my local classifieds there are two d44 bare housings and they are asking 750 and 850 for them. If you plan on upgrading one once you get it you may as well just bite the bullet and get a tera44 or pr44 or g2-44, etc.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
CrawlAK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider
Sounds like you are covering the bases, they are a hot item and usually sell really fast. Even the non-jk guys want them. In my local classifieds there are two d44 bare housings and they are asking 750 and 850 for them. If you plan on upgrading one once you get it you may as well just bite the bullet and get a tera44 or pr44 or g2-44, etc.
I feel like that may very well be the road I wind up taking man, and those housing prices would be a dream in alaska, you can't even find a bare housing up here to begin with let alone for any less than $1300
Unread 08-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
ps3tv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting to me to hear that the stock Dana 44s are hard to find. I just changed out the stock axles in my JK for a set of Dynatrac 60s, and the stock axles were a little challenging to get rid of. I pretty much gave away the front Dana 30 for $200, and sold the rear Dana 44 for $300.
Unread 08-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
CrawlAK
2007 JK Wrangler 

yeah the front 30 i've heard you have to pretty much give away, and the rear 44 is pretty common too being that every jk has one regardless of the model, it's the front D44 that i'm referring to that only comes on the rubicon's that seems near impossible to find used off of someones rig.
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlAK
yeah the front 30 i've heard you have to pretty much give away, and the rear 44 is pretty common too being that every jk has one regardless of the model, it's the front D44 that i'm referring to that only comes on the rubicon's that seems near impossible to find used off of someones rig.
Why even bother. Just build a Tera or PR44. Structurally the D30 is the same strength as the D44. The tubes and "C's" are exactly the same.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #7
CrawlAK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can reinforce the tubes and c's with artec goodies, and since I can weld its financially beneficial.

I know you mean the best by recommending I just build a pro rock or Tera but I'm just gonna tell I straight up, I'm kind of bummed by folks saying to me and to other folks: "oh to hell with a jk44 just buy a pro rock just buy a Tera" did it ever occur to people that 95% of us don't have chunks of money just sitting around to drop on a whim.

Again man please don't take offense i know i ranted kind of hard, I even agree with you on those being solid axles. I just posted this thread with the intentions of discussing the ever elusive stock 44.
Unread 08-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
63beetle

JK front D44s

Will one off a Scout fit?
63beetle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlAK
I can reinforce the tubes and c's with artec goodies, and since I can weld its financially beneficial. I know you mean the best by recommending I just build a pro rock or Tera but I'm just gonna tell I straight up, I'm kind of bummed by folks saying to me and to other folks: "oh to hell with a jk44 just buy a pro rock just buy a Tera" did it ever occur to people that 95% of us don't have chunks of money just sitting around to drop on a whim. Again man please don't take offense i know i ranted kind of hard, I even agree with you on those being solid axles. I just posted this thread with the intentions of discussing the ever elusive stock 44.
No offense taken. I know what you mean. I have been deciding on whether to do a JK44 or buy a PR44 and for the $2600 for the PR44 it is the cheaper option. By the time I buy a JK44 (if I can find one) and install new gears, possibly a locker, and do the truss or tubes and C's, I can order a pre built PR44 with gears and locker already installed, Cs adjusted to my specific lift height to maintain caster and pinion angle, and all I have to do is roll it under and bolt it up. The big expense for the PR44 build comes when you start adding things like RCV axles and Reid racing knuckles.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 08-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Got to be careful, some of these are bent and essentially scrap. JMHO, of course, but after I dumped a bunch of money into the stock front JK D44 (Spyntec hunbs, sleeves, gussets, Pro Steers, chromoly shafts w/CTMs) I came to the conclusion its better to just get a new aftermarket housing, angle corrected for your lift size and throw that JK housing into a pond for fish habitat. I replaced mine with a Teraflex R44 housing, which is a work of art. A club memeber just put a Dynatrac PR44 w/ARB & 35 spline RCVs into her Sahara. A bit pricey, but a one stop shop for a great axle.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
CrawlAK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
No offense taken. I know what you mean. I have been deciding on whether to do a JK44 or buy a PR44 and for the $2600 for the PR44 it is the cheaper option. By the time I buy a JK44 (if I can find one) and install new gears, possibly a locker, and do the truss or tubes and C's, I can order a pre built PR44 with gears and locker already installed, Cs adjusted to my specific lift height to maintain caster and pinion angle, and all I have to do is roll it under and bolt it up. The big expense for the PR44 build comes when you start adding things like RCV axles and Reid racing knuckles.
Awesome, i was worried i went a little overboard. It has gotten to be a sore subject for me and was the reason i left wayalife, i was so tired of folks on there just answering folks honest questions with the generic "oh just throw alot of money at it and you'll be fine"

i definitely understand what your saying on that front too, with the accessories and all. like i said previously i do agree, and the aftermarket axle route might very well be the path i have to take, i was just hoping to hear if folks have had success finding stock 44's that i may seem to be missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Got to be careful, some of these are bent and essentialy scrap. JMHO, of course, but after I dumped a bunch of money into the stock front JK D44 (Spyntec hunbs, sleves, gussets, Pro Steers, chromoly shafts w/CTMs) I came to the conclusion its better to just get a new aftermarket housing, angle corrected for your lift size and throw that JK housing into a pond for fish habitat. I replaced mine with a Teraflex R44 housing, which is a work of art. A club memeber just put a Dynatrac PR44 w/ARB & 35 spline RCVs into her Sahara. A bit pricey, but a one stop shop for a great axle.
Agreed, there is no doubting how much more stout the aftermarket housings are and the care that goes into building them. I would be keeping the stock front 44 as simple as possible not dropping too much money into it, just looking mainly for that bigger ring and pinion b/c i've felt for a while now that with my front d30 im wheeling on borrowed time lol.
Unread 08-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
CrawlAK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63beetle View Post
Will one off a Scout fit?
Im sure in some way shape or form of modification it could, but if i was going to invest the time and money into some form of retro-fit i would just do a one-ton swap and be done with my troubles.

My scope was more to ask folks if they have had any luck finding stock front JK D44's around their areas, or if they knew of any resources i may have seemed to miss.
Unread 08-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

So to answer your original question. JK D44 up here is as scarce as hens teeth. Even a used D30 is impossible to find. The price I was quoted if they find me one is in the 1k neighborhood and that doesn't even guarantee it has 4.10 gears. And being from a wrecker who knows what happened to it. I Should have just ordered a Rubicon with 4.10 to start with I guess.
Unread 08-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #14
CrawlAK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
So to answer your original question. JK D44 up here is as scarce as hens teeth. Even a used D30 is impossible to find. The price I was quoted if they find me one is in the 1k neighborhood and that doesn't even guarantee it has 4.10 gears. And being from a wrecker who knows what happened to it. I Should have just ordered a Rubicon with 4.10 to start with I guess.
wow 1k!!?? the salvage yard up here was asking $2,300 for one. alaska kills me on how out of control prices are on stuff.
Unread 08-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow that much. In 2012 I had an accident and my front D30 was damaged. I asked if they would sub in a D44 and I would pay for the gear match if required. No such luck, only 1 D30 in all of Canada and no D44. So my question to you then is, why are you even thinking of building a JK D44 if a used one is so expensive? Even if you do all your own work and welding by the time it's said and done you are looking at least $3500. Just curious if you have priced out a PR44? Delivery may be the killer though up in Alaska.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.