JK floor rust advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK floor rust advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!

Unread 04-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
09JKRubi
2009 JK Wrangler 

JK floor rust advice

Hi recently purchased a 2009 JK and the other day got underneath to look around and pulled carpets. The vehicle has been in the upper midwest for most of its life so has had salt exposure. There is the usual surface rust on the frame/axles/etc which is OK and the body is pretty much clean but found some slight rust on the edge of one floor drain in the passenger footwell. Also there is some surface bubbling along two seams that run the length of the floor and a bit where the rock rail mountings have rubbed off some paint. No holes or major rust that I found yet but I need the vehicle to last for at least 4-5 years and love the Jeep so far. I found various articles on rust issues and pictures would help but I don't have any right now. Anyone else have similar issues? At the moment it looks pretty minor and it looks pretty good otherwise.

09JKRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
14saharacan
2014 JK Wrangler 

I live in Canada and there is lots of salt on our roads. I have all my vehicles oil sprayed once a year and that stops the cancer from spreading. I usually have it done in October just before the salt starts flying. This keeps my vehicles almost rust free after 10 or 12 years.
14saharacan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
JeremyatKOR
WWW.KRAWLOFF-ROAD.COM
2008 JK Wrangler 

What I would do is put some chassis saver or POR15 on the floor pan, the coat with a bedliner over that. I used the POR15 on my rock rails ten coated with bedliner and they have heald up really well in the sand and crap we have in Florida. That might be a good place to start.

Jeremy
JeremyatKOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

I really wish I could help more but rust is something I have always ran away from. My 69 Camaro gave me some experience (free classics are hard to run from) but only around the rear window - not as important as the floorboard (well unless its a Nissan Altima where floor boards falling out are considered normal even in Florida).

I was made to etch (applied acid), removed loose metal and old coverings (wire brush) and neutralize (apply alkali) before my body guy would even let it into his shop to start his prep.

that was thirty years ago and from what I've read many rust coatings today can just wire brush and spray. Just pay attention to seams on floorboards that where they start forming the trap door that would have ya dragging your toes... ANY ability to poke through with a scribe should be patched.
Unread 04-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
09JKRubi
2009 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=jwmbishop;29569825]I really wish I could help more but rust is something I have always ran away from. My 69 Camaro gave me some experience (free classics are hard to run from) but only around the rear window - not as important as the floorboard (well unless its a Nissan Altima where floor boards falling out are considered normal even in Florida
Ironic you mention the Altima I just traded in a 2003 because of rusting out floors for the JK thanks for the advice
Unread 04-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Not ironic. Just read an article on Nissan refusing to call it a safety issue for recall and out of warranty too bad. The fight is just starting.
I think they'll loose and we'll see some changes in the bonding and thickness required down there... My 57 floors are twice as heavy per sq inch as any floor post cafe.
Where do you think they found the most weight to cut to make cafe?
Sheet metal gauge and seam sealing material... Both critical to floor and firewall...
Unread Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #7
09JKRubi
2009 JK Wrangler 

yeah I actually saw a video about rusted out Altima floors on youtube and went out and looked at mine and sure enough it was pretty rusty. I got some POR 15 to put all over the underside. Unfortunately with Wisconsin winters nothing is really rust free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.