jk for family? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > jk for family?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

if you have kids, you really want the 4 door imo. since you have a jeep, you must be aware there is no really no protection from the doors if you get t-boned.

pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
if you have kids, you really want the 4 door imo. since you have a jeep, you must be aware there is no really no protection from the doors if you get t-boned.
Ya the t-bone thing kinda sucks, but i don't remember there being seat belts or a cover in the truck bed i rode in as a kid. Only thing thats killing me bout a newer jeep is the price. Dang things hold their value.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgethejeep View Post
Only thing thats killing me bout a newer jeep is the price. Dang things hold their value.
I sold a 1998 Wrangler, with 144K miles for $7,000 (and the buyer got a bargain). The Jeep retailed for $14K when it was new. If a dealer had picked it up and sold it, the buyer would be looking at $9,000. That's 64% "retained value".

To put it into context if you walk on a Honda dealership lot, they brag on the retained value of their vehicles. They wish that they could claim 64% on a 15 year old Accord.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycec View Post
If you have kids with carseats, take a close look at the rear bench in the JKU. We need carseats in all three positions in the rear, and noticed that as we tightened the carseat in the middle, the seat began to deform. It appeared that middle position was essentially a foam bridge between the two sides. We did have a narrow base station for the carseat, so perhaps that exacerbated the problem, but it was not ideal for us.
MetalCloak sells a bracket that will fix that sag. Others have made their own.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #20
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got a 08 4dr sahara for 23 at 1.36%. Search is over thanks for the help. Moderators can delete this thread now to save space for more important work. Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions. Except the mini van suggestion, i wouldn't have been able to sleep at night if i did that....
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgethejeep View Post
Got a 08 4dr sahara for 23 at 1.36%. Search is over thanks for the help. Moderators can delete this thread now to save space for more important work. Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions. Except the mini van suggestion, i wouldn't have been able to sleep at night if i did that....
Congrats! That's awesome news! Every time I see a man driving a minivan aggressively to try to make up for it, I die a little inside
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

kinda sad cuz a mini van was not created for the agressive driver hence the lower insurance rate.
Unread 05-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
jbaubry
2013 JK Wrangler 

Congratz dodgethejeep!!! Keep us posted
jbaubry is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #24
firebrick

Wife drives the minivan, I drive the jku. Car seat fits great behind me. Kid loves it.
firebrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #25
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Enjoy the new Jeep.

Went from my TJ to the JKUR when we had a kid....we love it for long trips, even more than the wife's Impala. Obviously not b/c of the gas mileage in comparison.
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

When the economy went to crap, I had to sell my YJ which was a third vehicle but decided to also sell my Ford F-150 and buy a JKU so I could still have a jeep. At first I hated the 4 door, but now, after 4 years and many mods later, i love it. I have two daughters, 8 and 12, and because we take the jeep on road trips, I yanked out the crappy rear bench seat and installed mastercraft baja seats with 3 point harnesses. they are pricy at $500 each, but it has been well worth the money. They are comfortable and recline all the way. I also installed a keyless entry system (I have an X which is very basic) which solved the lock/unlock issue. As far as towing, I tow one of the heaviest pop up campers you can buy, a Jayco Baja 12E which weighs 3400 lbs empty and has a front cargo area for an ATV. I am running 5:13 gears and trailer brakes which helps. I tow to the mountains so this year added a RIPP SC for extra power. JK's arent perfect, but you will never find a more versitile vehicle that can meet any need or want. 56,000 miles and only issue has been a $5.00 temp sensor.
RIPP stage 2 SC, Teraflex 6" lift, 37x13.5x18 Toyo OC MT, American Racing artillary wheels, Teraflex monster control arm, Teraflex drag link flip kit, Currie control arms, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, Fox 2.0 shocks, Tom Woods drive shafts, Eaton E-lockers front and rear, G2 5:13 gears, Synergy suspension tie rod and ball joints, synergy suspension sway bar disconnects, RR XHD front bumper, RR muffler and evap cannister skid plate, Body armor rear bumper and tire carrier, Nemesis tub armor and billy rockers, Bushwacker flat fender flares, mastercraft baja seats with corbeau 3 point harness, Warn 8000 winch, rigid LED lights, sprint booster throttle response module, spec stage 2+ clutch
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

My JK replaced my Dodge Magnum. I made our yearly trip to the Gulf in it (13 hours straight through for me, wife, and two kids), and it was just fine. Obviously much less passing power than my old hemi-powered station wagon, but plenty of space for the bags, cooler, etc.

The Magnum had more power outlets and more miscellaneous storage pockets, but that's about it.
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #28
dodgethejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The jk doesn't have the power my TJ had but it drives like a jeep. Passed a porsche on the autobahn, guy was on the phone and looked over with that wtf look, kinda funny. for some weird reason we get better gas milage with an 08 jku then we had with the 2011 toyota tacoma. I also like driving it more, feels like a jeep. Extra room is nice with the family. Wife is already looking for metal bumpers and grill guard for "her"jeep.
dodgethejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #29
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Lee View Post
The back seats do not recline at all. Major failure for Jeep. Iím going to put in spacers for the front bolts to lean the seats back just a bit to help! it is the only real complaint my kids have but after sitting back there myself for an hour, I agree long road trips are not confortable back there for bigger kids. If I had 500 bucks I'd by the baja seats.

I have never heard of any back seats that recline.

Aside from a Chrysler T&C with captains chairs, I don't think any car or truck/crossover/suv has back seats which recline. "Major failure for Jeep"??? Really?
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
I have never heard of any back seats that recline.

Aside from a Chrysler T&C with captains chairs, I don't think any car or truck/crossover/suv has back seats which recline. "Major failure for Jeep"??? Really?
We had a Hyundai Santa Fe and it's split 60/40 back seats reclined slightly. At the time it was a big help with getting the kids car seats to fit just right.

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.