JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   jk for family? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jk-family-1525720/)

dodgethejeep 05-20-2013 12:08 AM

jk for family?

Wife wants to trade her tacoma for a 4 door jk. We don't use the bed often enough to really need a small/midsize truck, and suv's are nice on road trips having cargo area right behind seat. We do end up doing some towing couple times a year, ie boat, cargo trailer. What are the pros and cons of a jk? We loved our TJ had it for years, and resently got a YJ so i can't coment on it yet. I have no experience with a jk. Wife wants to be able to take doors and top off like we did in TJ. I would like to do some mild to bland off roading when we visit family instead of saying "sorry left the Jeep at home". Looking for opinions from people who have these and search forum option don't work on tablet. This jeep would not be a hard core build got the YJ for that.

ALKNOPE 05-20-2013 12:36 AM

Do it, we love ours as a family vehicle. Plus my kid thinks it's the coolest vehicle ever especially when we have the top down and doors off. If your only hauling small things like you stated you'll be fine. It's the best of all three worlds...... convertible for fun summer vehicle/family vehicle/great in the winter (especially since i live in northern canada). Can't loose man.

djm 05-20-2013 12:43 AM

I am on my 20th jeep over all, my second JKU. Love them so far. The JKU (the 4 dr jeep) does everything I ask of it. Very versatile, changes up any way I want/need it to be. a nice going to town vehicle when I want to do that. Great on the road trips, lots of room for "stuff" in the back. Becomes a convertible in the nice weather and a cocoon in the nasty winter weather. Plus, it takes me just about anywhere I ask it to. Up the mountains, out on the beach, on the road, off the road.

With regards to towing, if you plant on renting a cargo trailer, like form U haul - remember U haul will only rent to a jeep with a hard top. No clue why - just their policy.

Go for the JKU you should love it !

PrinceBondar 05-20-2013 01:28 AM

Family vehicle? I'd get a minivan. Way more practical.

HOKIES2010 05-20-2013 02:33 AM

JKU works well esp for cargo. I have a great dane and aussie that take up a bit of room with my packs. Everything fits fine.

Tow rating is only 3500 so always keep that in mind. I technically have a hard top I just dont use it so I just lie to Uhaul lol.

Monkeybomber 05-20-2013 05:38 AM

A minivan is probably more practical. That said, I'd never buy a minivan. I've had my JKU for half a year now, and have driven about 8000 miles. Here are my pros and cons:
1. Comfortable- considering that jeeps are supposed to be 'rough' rides, I've found mine to very nice on long drives.
2. Capable- from the trails to the highways, there isn't anything my jeep can't do. I can carry cargo, tow (within reason) or carry 5 people plus a dog.
3. Reasonably fast- It's not a speed demon, but the 3.6L certainly lets me keep up with others.
4. Topless and doorless. Nuff said.
5. GREAT resale value- provided you keep it stock
6. Made in USA.

Cons
1. Gas mileage-. I average around 19MPG in town, and 17-18 on the highway (I drive at 75MPH+)
2. Price- It's not cheap, you're looking at around 30K after taxes and licensing and all that
3. Tow capacity- It could be better, you'd think you could tow more than 3500

Basically I made a choice when I bought the heap. I sacrificed mileage/ top speed for the ability to be able to handle any situation that came my way, from rough roads, to cargo carrying to boat towing. If I were to go back in time 6 months knowing what I know now, I'd buy the exact same jeep with the exact same options. I don't know what a minivan can do that I can't, while I would love to see a minivan on the trail.

brianjw 05-20-2013 05:41 AM

Coming from a Tacoma to a new JK will be a shock in the lack of quality and reliability IMO.
I really enjoy my JKU but man the quality is a huge let down for me.

It is reasonably comfortable, room for a family, plenty of "trunk" space. It's great to run without the top, it's capable off road, etc. The only thing I've pulled was an enclosed 6x12 cargo trailer with some junk in it, no problems with 4.10 gearing and 35s though I'd prefer lower gears.

brycec 05-20-2013 09:59 AM

If you have kids with carseats, take a close look at the rear bench in the JKU. We need carseats in all three positions in the rear, and noticed that as we tightened the carseat in the middle, the seat began to deform. It appeared that middle position was essentially a foam bridge between the two sides. We did have a narrow base station for the carseat, so perhaps that exacerbated the problem, but it was not ideal for us.

dodgethejeep 05-20-2013 10:25 AM

I think the uhaul hardtop thing is a liability issue. Shrapnel from their cheap trailers entering the cab. Now my wife is mad cuz i won't buy her a jeep right now. I'm still paying on her 2011 tacoma but we owe less than its worth for the dealer. Anybody have any advice on trading it for a used jk? My wife decided we are a jeep family and a 4 door would work best. I prefer 2 door soft top. She and it will be her rig wants 3 piece hard top tow ready family rig. We had a rack on a tj and didn't really like it the jk has more room. Not trying to make up my mind on a jeep just wondering how big an adjustment it will be. Already have a 2dr wrangler. Oh and i have a 2 yr old an
d 7 yr old. 1 of the 2 yr olds first understandable words was jeep, 7 yr old use to take a nap in the tj till we got up on 2 wheels then he laught the whole way, wife walked.

SilverStreaker 05-20-2013 10:26 AM

You won't get any complaints from me. It's my daily driver but my wife would have no issue driving it instead of her grand cherokee. The kids love it, especially when we take the top off. I liken it to a 4 seater side-by-side except my kids don't have to wear a helmet. lol

Airborne Lee 05-20-2013 10:35 AM

The back seats do not recline at all. Major failure for Jeep. Iím going to put in spacers for the front bolts to lean the seats back just a bit to help! it is the only real complaint my kids have but after sitting back there myself for an hour, I agree long road trips are not confortable back there for bigger kids. If I had 500 bucks I'd by the baja seats.

dualtjs 05-20-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgethejeep (Post 15456312)
I think the uhaul hardtop thing is a liability issue. Shrapnel from their cheap trailers entering the cab. Now my wife is mad cuz i won't buy her a jeep right now. I'm still paying on her 2011 tacoma but we owe less than its worth for the dealer. Anybody have any advice on trading it for a used jk? My wife decided we are a jeep family and a 4 door would work best. I prefer 2 door soft top. She and it will be her rig wants 3 piece hard top tow ready family rig. We had a rack on a tj and didn't really like it the jk has more room. Not trying to make up my mind on a jeep just wondering how big an adjustment it will be. Already have a 2dr wrangler. Oh and i have a 2 yr old an
d 7 yr old. 1 of the 2 yr olds first understandable words was jeep, 7 yr old use to take a nap in the tj till we got up on 2 wheels then he laught the whole way, wife walked.

If you are planning to trade it in, instead of selling to someone else, go to Carmax and get a written quote. The dealer where you attempt to trade your Tacoma will try to low ball you. All the dealers in my area will match Carmax. In fact, the local Jeep dealer has billboards that say that they'll beat a Carmax offer by $500.

dodgethejeep 05-20-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualtjs (Post 15456444)
If you are planning to trade it in, instead of selling to someone else, go to Carmax and get a written quote. The dealer where you attempt to trade your Tacoma will try to low ball you. All the dealers in my area will match Carmax. In fact, the local Jeep dealer has billboards that say that they'll beat a Carmax offer by $500.

Nice hope i have someone like that when i get state side. I kinda like arguing with salesmen usually but not always i have more useless jeep knowledge then they do. Also fun to scare them during a test drive. Got 2000 knocked off someones used tj cuz the salesman couldn't prove i was wrong.

jimk403 05-20-2013 03:20 PM

Ours was fine until the kids got to be over 5'6". Now they stay home unless we're going somewhere fun. Amazing how fast they can grow a foot+.
Then take into account the max GVWR is around 800lbs, and we are over 600 without gear or the trailer tongue weight. Doesn't leave much for all the crap teenagers require.

jbaubry 05-20-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeybomber (Post 15455298)
A minivan is probably more practical. That said, I'd never buy a minivan. I've had my JKU for half a year now, and have driven about 8000 miles. Here are my pros and cons:
1. Comfortable- considering that jeeps are supposed to be 'rough' rides, I've found mine to very nice on long drives.
2. Capable- from the trails to the highways, there isn't anything my jeep can't do. I can carry cargo, tow (within reason) or carry 5 people plus a dog.
3. Reasonably fast- It's not a speed demon, but the 3.6L certainly lets me keep up with others.
4. Topless and doorless. Nuff said.
5. GREAT resale value- provided you keep it stock
6. Made in USA.

Cons
1. Gas mileage-. I average around 19MPG in town, and 17-18 on the highway (I drive at 75MPH+)
2. Price- It's not cheap, you're looking at around 30K after taxes and licensing and all that
3. Tow capacity- It could be better, you'd think you could tow more than 3500

Basically I made a choice when I bought the heap. I sacrificed mileage/ top speed for the ability to be able to handle any situation that came my way, from rough roads, to cargo carrying to boat towing. If I were to go back in time 6 months knowing what I know now, I'd buy the exact same jeep with the exact same options. I don't know what a minivan can do that I can't, while I would love to see a minivan on the trail.

I agree with the above 100%. Monkeybomber sums it up with the Pros/cons.

Owned a minivan for 12 years and traded an Honda Accord v6 for my 2013 JKU. 5 months later and about 7500 km (4660 miles), I would not go back.

My JKU ain't perfect but it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Mine is still stock. Pentastar + manual + 3.73 is not a rocket but can move when you push it over 3000 rpm.

The time now is 04:45 PM.