JK driver's seat worse than TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK driver's seat worse than TJ?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
f6Fireball
2008 JK Wrangler 

JK driver's seat worse than TJ?

So, I sold my TJ and bought a JK this week. Newbie on JK site.

In my TJ I had to add spacers under seat to lift it up, then it was great.

Now I have the JK and the seat pan is awful. The base of the seat (pan) tilts backward (knees are higher than hips). What an uncomfortable and poor ergonomic ride... Plus, I'm 5'7" and I feel like I have to have the seat way forward to reach the pedals as a result. I only have an X, no fancy adjustments on the seat.

Any ideas on a fix? Thinking of using lift spacers under the back base of the seat to "tilt" it forward. Will this work on JK? Anybody try something similar?
Buchanan engineering made TJ spacers, not JK...

f6Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I agree, sometimes I feel like I'm sitting in a bucket....I've been thinking about shimming mine also, to get the seat more like my truck.

You should shoot a PM to 1222...he's a mod here and has pulled his seats, he can tell you if there's anything to look for....

If you shim yours, keep me posted please.
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Alaska-HWY JK

I have an 07 unlimited, I actually like the seats in my JK better than the ones in my wifes Overland. We've done long trips in both. the GC has all the power and heated/cooled options and i still can't get comfortable. I'm 6' tall I slide the JK seat all the way back tilt the back were I want it and I'm good to go. When offroading I'll jack the seat up for better view over the fenders and thats it. They fit differant for eveyone I guess.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

My '08 JKUR stock seat is adjustable and being 6'5 I'm very comfy-

The seat base is adjustable and the front is ALWAYS higher than the back-

I don't know of any seat mfg that makes the seat rear higher, then the front--

Maybe midget seats ?

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6Fireball View Post
So, I sold my TJ and bought a JK this week. Newbie on JK site.

Now I have the JK and the seat pan is awful.
I bought a JK Sport last week and LOVE the seats. I've owned probably 60-70 cars/trucks over the years and the JK seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever had. Very supportive and IMHO.

I'm 5' 9" and have no problems at all with any of the seat adjustments.

Talk about crappy seat placement/adjustment my wife's 12 KK Liberty is horrid! I need to hack out about 2" off the base!
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Seats are improved on the 11, even better on the 13. Maybe see if you can find an 11+ totaled at a junkyard. Look at classifieds too.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

You should have pulled the seats out of your old Jeep before you sold it. Those things sound spectacular.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
CaptainEd
2013 JK Wrangler 

I kind of agree that the stock manual adjustable cloth seats are not the best I have ever been in. I'm 5-8 and after alot of driving it gets a little uncomfortable. I haven't been on a real long trip yet but I was wondering if the leather seats are better or is there an aftermarket seat that is better. My wife also complains about the passenger seat which has basically no adjutstment. I still drive it whenever I can.
CaptainEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEd View Post
I kind of agree that the stock manual adjustable cloth seats are not the best I have ever been in. I'm 5-8 and after alot of driving it gets a little uncomfortable. I haven't been on a real long trip yet but I was wondering if the leather seats are better or is there an aftermarket seat that is better. My wife also complains about the passenger seat which has basically no adjutstment. I still drive it whenever I can.
The OEM leather seats are not going to be different other than being covered in leather. They are the same seat, different cover.

There is a variety of aftermarket seats available. Just depends if your priority is something for wheeling, or just for DD. Corbeau has a bunch that will fit. Some that are made for wheeling have accommodations for 5 point restraints and suspension. If that's not important, there are many others that will work. It's like picking out a stereo system: Your budget is the only limitation.

Checkout: http://corbeau.com/corbeau/jeep_seats/

Recaro is another well known manufacturer of NICE seats: http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/home.html
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know it sounds silly, but just tilt it a click or two farther forward than you're used to. It will help your posture while sitting and definitely improves the long drives!
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.