jk door problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > jk door problems?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Clashem360
2007 JK Wrangler 

jk door problems?

so we were taking my doors and roof off yesterday for the 4th but my back passenger door legitimately wouldnt come off, we sprayed wd40 in it had 4 guys pulling and everything. Im pretty sure its rust it seems like these doors had never been taken off before i owned it. Does anyone have any good tips or tricks for it cause im stumped and i dont wana have to drill in when i finally buy trail doors

Unread 07-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I replaced the door hinge bushings on my JKU a couple of months ago. Same thing, fronts came off easily since I put bearing grease on the pins when I had the doors off.
Rears never had off but I got mine out by moving them back and forth while pulling upward. Could try using a floor jack below the door with 2x4 in between so you wont damage the door. Just don't over do it.
Maybe others will have other ideas.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

First summer I owned it, mine sure seemed like they had never come off- both back doors were stuck. we sprayed never-seize in it, rocked it back and forth a little then used the jack. we went very slowly though, and eased it off. Just make sure you have a second person to hold the door while you work the jack!! oh, and use the rest of the never-seize to lube up all the holes before you put them back on.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Donnelly
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had trouble taking my rear doors off for the first time as well. Haven't had them off a second time yet to see if its any better. Not sure why the fronts are so much easier than the rear.
Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Tips to get the doors off have been covered in this thread, so I'll suggest what to do once the doors are removed:
Get Delrin bushings to replace the original bushings. If you do this, you will have no problems with binding hinges in the future.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had luck loosening the bolts of the hinge at the a-pillar to relieve some misalignment.

I re-positioned the hinge, tightened the bolts and it worked like a charm.
The season after that I swapped in Delrin bushings which are still smooth as butter four years later.

If you think you have a mis-aligned door:
pick a hinge, use a sharpie to mark it's original position on the body pillar (not the exterior of the door!)
Slightly loosen the bolts, just enough to allow some play. Try removing the door.
If no luck, re-position the hinge back to original position and try the other one.
Jiblet is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just keep soaking the hinges in a real penetrating oil like kroil, or something. Wd40 isn't a lube. With patience, the door will come off, but it may take several tries, and several cycles of opening and closing the door. But i will say delrin bushings will keep it from happening again.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Tips to get the doors off have been covered in this thread, so I'll suggest what to do once the doors are removed:
Get Delrin bushings to replace the original bushings. If you do this, you will have no problems with binding hinges in the future.
At the very least, clean out the WD40. It attracts dirt, dust, and when it dries out it makes things MUCH WORSE. Next time use something that's actually designed to be used a lubricant and/or penetrating oil.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I used a higlift jack and a flat piece of wood under the door. It was enough pressure to lift it out the 1st time.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.