JK diesel swap endeavor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK diesel swap endeavor

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
stoplocknroll
2008 JK Wrangler 

JK diesel swap endeavor

Ok,
guys its been a while I have quietly been doing the leg work to put together a sort of plug and play diesel swap option for my fellow JK'ers.

Progress I have made so far:
sourced an ordering source for the necessary parts from overseas. I am currently working with my source to create a e-catalog. The plan is I will be able to drop ship all the factory OEM parts to your door to allow you to nestle a 2.8 CRD into your engine bay making it look like it rolled of the assembly line.

Now here is the BIG BUT...I need to gauge interest in this project i.e how many of you truly want stump pulling oil burning power? I have yet to get a solid cost projection but it should come in some where equal to the hemi swap (kits)

The reason for gauging interest is my source and I may have to actually have some parts machined and or produced via a mold since they are not available.

So please feel free to leave some positive feed back.

Best Regards,
Mike

stoplocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

You've got my attention, I've had my eyes on getting a game plan of dragging a wreck in from overseas. But if you're able to get a plug in play setup with a 2.8 CRD (Motori), I'm all in.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
stoplocknroll
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavic View Post
You've got my attention, I've had my eyes on getting a game plan of dragging a wreck in from overseas. But if you're able to get a plug in play setup with a 2.8 CRD (Motori), I'm all in.
so my very simple plan was well they already put this engine in the wrangler so if I can get my self incontact with a source to order all the parts one would need to do the install i.e. radiator, motor mounts, diesel fuel tank, all of which being OEM jeep parts then we are in business!! I now have that source I also have sourced the first 2.8 CRD (motori) it is complete and ready to drop in! we will need a guinea pig though
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just my two cents on the advantage with going with a 2.8L CRD vs other Diesel swaps .

The other diesel swap options all require different transmissions. So to do those particular swaps you're having to swap the engine and trans which make the cost of diesel swap almost as much as a Hemi swap.

The 2.8L bolts right up to the existing trans, so it makes a diesel swap much more affordable.
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
stoplocknroll
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Just my two cents on the advantage with going with a 2.8L CRD vs other Diesel swaps .

The other diesel swap options all require different transmissions. So to do those particular swaps you're having to swap the engine and trans which make the cost of diesel swap almost as much as a Hemi swap.

The 2.8L bolts right up to the existing trans, so it makes a diesel swap much more affordable.
oh I agree hence why i am going to offering a complete plug and play kit.

so that being said who wants to start the project??
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

The 2.8 will destroy the 42RLE auto trans and will also destroy the 6-speed manual unless you detune the engine like they do from the factory to make the manual live.

The biggest downfall of the 2.8 is the timing belt and severe lack of parts in the US and techs that know anything about those engines.About $7000 for just the engine brand new.
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
stoplocknroll
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The 2.8 will destroy the 42RLE auto trans and will also destroy the 6-speed manual unless you detune the engine like they do from the factory to make the manual live.

The biggest downfall of the 2.8 is the timing belt and severe lack of parts in the US and techs that know anything about those engines.About $7000 for just the engine brand new.
The engine runs the same tranny's as far as tunning that will not be a problem since we will be using the OEM ECU that will tell the engine what tranny and program to run! also there are plenty of chrysler tech's that are certified for this engine as it came in two different model's here in the U.S...as for the severe lack of parts available in the U.S that is where I come in the website I am building will make available all the 2.8 parts...this is our first ever option for easy access to a plug n play diesel solution for the JK's
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoplocknroll View Post
The engine runs the same tranny's as far as tunning that will not be a problem since we will be using the OEM ECU that will tell the engine what tranny and program to run! also there are plenty of chrysler tech's that are certified for this engine as it came in two different model's here in the U.S...as for the severe lack of parts available in the U.S that is where I come in the website I am building will make available all the 2.8 parts...this is our first ever option for easy access to a plug n play diesel solution for the JK's
OEM tuning is different between the auto trans and manual trans and reducing the torque by 50+lbs-ft for the manual trans and the auto trans is the 545RFE and not the 42RLE.There was only 1 vehicle sold in the US with the 2.8 and that was the '05 and '06 Jeep Liberty and the problems with those is staggering as alot of them are on there 2nd engine before 150k,some don't even make it to the 100k timing belt change before needing a new head or engine.The dealership training for the 2.8 CRD was a 10min video,you need to find a Sprinter tech and they may have some knowledge about the 2.8.

Some reading about the fine 2.8.........

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=5
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoplocknroll View Post
so my very simple plan was well they already put this engine in the wrangler so if I can get my self incontact with a source to order all the parts one would need to do the install i.e. radiator, motor mounts, diesel fuel tank, all of which being OEM jeep parts then we are in business!! I now have that source I also have sourced the first 2.8 CRD (motori) it is complete and ready to drop in! we will need a guinea pig though
Id love to be the guinea pig, however its quite a drive to nh from ok.
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
ferntree

2014 WK 

Sounds interesting, but not sure about the cost. Would love the export 3.0lt Grand Cherokee diesel engine in a JK

Officer, these handcuffs are tight!
Just relax, they're new. They'll stretch after you wear them a while....
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
stoplocknroll
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
Sounds interesting, but not sure about the cost. Would love the export 3.0lt Grand Cherokee diesel engine in a JK
fern I have a Chrysler tech friend of mine doing research on that I would love that my self but I am focused on making the 2.8 CRD a viable option and then I will expand the kits!!
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
stoplocknroll
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Id love to be the guinea pig, however its quite a drive to nh from ok.
Tavic,
PM maybe we can work something out the first person to be the guinea pig pays invoice nothing more. I have a technical writer that will need to follow the install so we can have the detailed directions for the shade tree mechanic type

also im no longer NH im Located in Boston
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
SADISTIC
2011 JK Wrangler 

what kind of price tag are you looking at? I have the River Raider 4BT swap on my long wish list but at $9800 for the swap kit alone, plus at least $2000 for a motor (more if it is from a high mileage vehicle and/or tricking it out) it is quite far down.
SADISTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADISTIC
what kind of price tag are you looking at? I have the River Raider 4BT swap on my long wish list but at $9800 for the swap kit alone, plus at least $2000 for a motor (more if it is from a high mileage vehicle and/or tricking it out) it is quite far down.
You forgot that a transmission will be needed for 4BT swap as well, which is why I decided to opt out on it.
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
SADISTIC
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You forgot that a transmission will be needed for 4BT swap as well, which is why I decided to opt out on it.
Yeah, that too. Another what $1,500-2,500?
SADISTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.