Jk dash removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Jk dash removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jk dash removal

I'm replacing the heater core in the jeep I need to know how to remove the dash is there a ride up somewhere that I can't find?

JKU
omgyesihavethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

Search YouTube, there are a few on there.
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

if its anything like the 011+ it very easy to take all the dash out. i bet i can do it now in under 20 minutes. its like Lego and not many screws or bolts are used. finding the hidden bolt that is on the 011+ was the hardest part to figure and no you tube. Its in the passenger side defroster vent by the window a secret panel pops out to a 10mm nut. that was the tricky one to find.
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've hit a snag on the passenger side by the airbag. So I'll look for a hidden screw
JKU
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgyesihavethos View Post
I've hit a snag on the passenger side by the airbag. So I'll look for a hidden screw
yep its holding the air bag i bet as mine was. look at that defroster vent, it may have a pop out part. its very well hidden and i was at wits end till i noticed that.

BE VERY SURE TO disconnect the battery and let it sit for at least 5 minutes to discharge the caps in the system. if i recall it says like a few minutes.... me it was 30 minutes, not worth having that BIG bag going off. its like 4 time the power of the drivers one.
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

Found that one. Got it all back together in less than 6 working hours...

And now I can't put it in gear and the brake lights are on so I think the brakes are engaged and the shifter may be out of link or something (auto trans)

Also. After replacing the heater core the engine ran hot and checked the hoses running to the core and one is tight and the other is completely empty. So this not makes me believe that a hose it bad? Only way to reach to hoses in the back of the engine is to remove the top of the engine.
JKU
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wanted to update.

The next day we flushed the lined to the heater core with water and cranked it. Perfect fix. The brake light actually has a module that works with the brake pedal, called the brake light switch. The module was pressed in while disassembling the dash and just needed a twist to unlock it to re-engage with the brake pedal.

I didn't remember seeing a write up on tips with removing the dash so I feel the need to help out.

I felt the best place to start

1.) disconnect the battery
2.) remove doors (this gave us much more room while laying on the floor to remove parts underneath) took 2seconds
3.) horn/airbag assembly (again, room, plus it has to come off anyways)
4.) steering wheel (just the steering wheel)
5.) gear shifter and 4x4 shifter (auto has a torque screw under release)
6.) center console (there is a switch for power rear windows under, don't yank it off. Lift slowly and unplug)
7.) radio and AC control/windows for power windows
8.) glove box
9.) passenger air bag (it is laterally slide into position, so pull it straight back and it does not break pins)
10.) steering wheel, speedometer and glare protector over it
11.) speakers (4 of them two on top of dash and two inside)
12.) the only thing left is the physical dash (unbolt and remove)

What's funny is after all that is done there is an underbody of the dash that is the main support for everything. This is made of metal and connects to the body and firewall at several locations.

This took some looking but was able to be done

1.) disconnect the steering wheel column inside engine bay and slide through interior
2.) brake pedal assembly must be removed so the entire panel can be slid out.
3.) all the electrical wiring must be pulled from underbody (this is simple to put back since wires are cut at length and each connection is specifically designed for each plug individually.)

Some if the AC vents are attached to the underbody and must be unscrewed but they are all on top.

I hope some finds this useful. It was a bear to do without help since there wasn't really anything about 07-10 jks on YouTube or that were very specific on topic.

I could do it all now in prob less than an hour. Pretty simple after the first time
JKU

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.