JK Custom Cowl Snorkel? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Custom Cowl Snorkel?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Reply
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #76
Unknown303
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 362
Man that's impressive.

Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #77
warCryr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
Man that's impressive.
ty
__________________
2008 JK
4.88, 6spd, RK 2.5", 17x8 Cragar Soft 8s, 33" BFG KM2s, JKS trackbars, RR breather kit, K&N, cowl snorkel, Benchmark bumpers, Tuffy interior, Riddler diffs
warCryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #78
fishinjeeper
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: around
Posts: 2,888
I still love this and want to try it on mine sometime
__________________
[CENTER]01 TJ. 35 inch KM2's. 4.5 RE. 2 inch body lift. dana 44. Detroit Locker. Olive Drab!! all set for trout and bambi![/CENTER]
fishinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #79
Vin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,472
I always wondered why snorkle companies put the holes on the side of the Jeep, and some low enough where it will get submerged. If you did have a failure the water would get sucked right in. Plumbing it to the top of the Jeep, like you did looks and sounds like it would make more sense.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #80
Dronac
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 775
You may want to also add radiator fan protection. I'm sitting at the dealership now hoping I get my burnt out mud clogged fan motor replaced under warranty. I killed it at the Jeep Rocks and Roads event, which they have invitations to here on the wall still, so I think it should be covered. The mud/water soup was about side rail depth, and my entire engine way was totally brown. My air box was actually full of mud, and my filter was muddy!
__________________
2008 Jeep JK X: auto trans, 3.73 gears, D44 rear, D30 front
Mods: 2'' Rusty's coil lift, Superchips 93 octane tune, Cobra 75 CB radio, 33'' Duratrac's, onboard air compressor
My Build Thread! ---> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/dronacs-build-thread-1104134/
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #81
AdamH07
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mt Holly, North Carolina
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
You may want to also add radiator fan protection. I'm sitting at the dealership now hoping I get my burnt out mud clogged fan motor replaced under warranty. I killed it at the Jeep Rocks and Roads event, which they have invitations to here on the wall still, so I think it should be covered. The mud/water soup was about side rail depth, and my entire engine way was totally brown. My air box was actually full of mud, and my filter was muddy!
I spent 2 hours cleaning all that mud out of my engine bay... ruined the air filter as well.

I was there Saturday around noon. When did you go?
__________________
'06 Rubicon LJ, Impact Orange
'81 CJ8 Scrambler
'14 JKU Rubicon
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #82
warCryr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 206
interesting radiator fan comments, i'm thinking i'll have to look into this next spring :O
__________________
2008 JK
4.88, 6spd, RK 2.5", 17x8 Cragar Soft 8s, 33" BFG KM2s, JKS trackbars, RR breather kit, K&N, cowl snorkel, Benchmark bumpers, Tuffy interior, Riddler diffs
warCryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #83
WhiteJK
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 307
I have a question? What if you run the intake pipe straight thru the firewall into the cab, maybe under the dash? I know you'll probably hear air pulling into the filter, but you could probably get rid of the air box completely. This sounds to me like something I may consider, but y'all probably know better. What do you think?
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #84
Joevacs
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJK View Post
I have a question? What if you run the intake pipe straight thru the firewall into the cab, maybe under the dash? I know you'll probably hear air pulling into the filter, but you could probably get rid of the air box completely. This sounds to me like something I may consider, but y'all probably know better. What do you think?
Yeah, you could run it straight out into the passenger side. Then if you had your girlfriend riding with you, you could stomp the gas and it would suck her shirt off !
__________________
2010 Rubicon, 4" lift, Currie control arms and trackbar, 37x12.5x17 Goodyear MT/R kevlar
Joevacs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #85
WhiteJK
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 307
It sounds crazy doesn't it? But to be honest, I'm after functionality. Being serious, how much water enters into the cab?under the dash? From the TB thru tube to cab with filter-maybe boxed to control noise. Not much modifying, not much time, not much cost. I like river raiders snorkel(big bucks), and I think the work done on this thread is intuitive. Any ideas on this? I mean all this and a way to turn your ride into a sleeze machine. What more could we ask?
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #86
Scooter_Trash
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJK View Post
It sounds crazy doesn't it? But to be honest, I'm after functionality. Being serious, how much water enters into the cab?under the dash? From the TB thru tube to cab with filter-maybe boxed to control noise. Not much modifying, not much time, not much cost. I like river raiders snorkel(big bucks), and I think the work done on this thread is intuitive. Any ideas on this? I mean all this and a way to turn your ride into a sleeze machine. What more could we ask?

I don't know anyone that has done it in their JK but off-roader's have been doing this for years.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #87
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post
Yeah, you could run it straight out into the passenger side. Then if you had your girlfriend riding with you, you could stomp the gas and it would suck her shirt off !
Now that's funny.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #88
djkbooth
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: virginia
Posts: 254
I love the look, but in actual thinking how much more did you gain from the original box to the cowl mount 4-5 inches in height, It looks great though--- very custom!!!
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:51 AM   #89
trw
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkbooth View Post
I love the look, but in actual thinking how much more did you gain from the original box to the cowl mount 4-5 inches in height, It looks great though--- very custom!!!
not so much the height that he gained, but the fact that he no longer has his hood channeling water straight into the intake, and that the intake is no longer at the front of the Jeep.

Jeep totally dropped the ball with the intake on the JKs, but its not too difficult to fix, this is just one option, and a good one at that.
__________________
Jeep garage:
2011 Jeep Wrangler JK - 33" BFG KM2s, 2.5" RC BB, ARB bumper, IPF 900XS, Superwinch EPI 9.0, AEV Snorkel
1995 Jeep Wrangler - 4 cyl, 2.5" lift, BFG AT 30s, Ford 8.8, SYE+CV, AX15 swap, ARB snorkel, Aussie locker + loads more - sold
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #90
WhiteJK
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 307
Thanks Lawrence; I'm gonna see if I can find some pics on this. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread.
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
airbox , cowl , custom , intake , snorkel

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.