Now I can either put a hummer style snokel on the end of that or create a snorkel that goes up the side of the windshield (I've already started planning for this.)
My problem is I have KC's mounted to the front of the windshield brackets (150W would melt any intake, even aluminum) and mirror remounts on the side brackets. Im'a see if there's any room further in (medial, amidships, et al) to put the tube without totally blocking my view
hey sorry I haven't posted anything in forever. I was in the processes of creating a windsheild bracket for the snorkel but ran into complications that prevent me from finishing. I created a plastic mold that didn't turn out so well.
My goal is to have a snorkel that runs up the side of the windshield but I might settle for a hummer style snorkel soon.
So I decided to try to make a snorkel piece that runs up the windshield like most Jeep snorkels out there. I'll spoil this post by telling you right away that this didn't work out... or hasn't, yet..
Here is what my design looked like.
Basically I'm using PVC pipe for the tubing and I need to find some what to mount the tube to the jeep using the windshield bracket.
Making a solid block of plaster.
Getting ready for some sculpting
the result almost ready for step 2.
I figured the piece I had come up with simply wasn't good enough and wouldn't do so I started over with a slightly different technique..
Masking off any holes and cracks that plaster might get into.
Here is a tube in place held up with cardboard walls to serve as a container for pouring the plaster into. Notice that I have the tubing positioned in front of the windshield as opposed to most snorkels that run up the side, I think this could help avoid collisions and breaking off.. that sort of thing..
The plaster took only about a minute before I could grab the thing and carefully peel the mold off away from the jeep.
Again more sculpting. Looking better than before!
Here's a shot of both molds in their final form. Definately an improvment the second time around.
Step 2. My plan is to cover the piece in something that I can later remove and have a mold created that I can then pour a harder more permanent material into. Caulk probably works...
This plan is in FAIL mode. The caulk pretty much never dried, and by never I mean 2 weeks at least. I must've caked in on too thick.
When I finally got to peeling it off I had to destroy the plaster piece because it apparently too complex of a shape to simply "peel" the silicone off.
I didn't throw away anything and I still have this part of my project but for right now I'm giving it a rest. I might have to try a different approach
You did an exceptional job on this project!
I added the link to our new F.A.Q. for all to see!
When you make a silicone mold you need to use a catalyzed silicone.
There is a plastics co. here in L.A. that makes it http://www.hastingsplastics.com/
If you want me to ship some out to you, just let me know.
FYI, Rugged Ridge has said they are releasing a cowl intake sometime late this year.
Warcry, you are the man!
yeah i saw a jk forum thread about that. I'm waiting to see what that setup looks like, might steal some parts and end up with a rugged ridge river raider hybrid thing going on. (mine's basically River Raider under the hood)