JK Custom Cowl Snorkel? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Custom Cowl Snorkel?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #61
jpgrl07

warcryr, I have a p/n for a bonnet that looks good and works well for use all the time.

jpgrl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #62
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warCryr View Post
Now I can either put a hummer style snokel on the end of that or create a snorkel that goes up the side of the windshield (I've already started planning for this.)
My problem is I have KC's mounted to the front of the windshield brackets (150W would melt any intake, even aluminum) and mirror remounts on the side brackets. Im'a see if there's any room further in (medial, amidships, et al) to put the tube without totally blocking my view
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #63
gummby

Has anyone heard any feedback, I'd like to run this setup if it was successful.

Thanks
gummby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #64
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

hey sorry I haven't posted anything in forever. I was in the processes of creating a windsheild bracket for the snorkel but ran into complications that prevent me from finishing. I created a plastic mold that didn't turn out so well.

My goal is to have a snorkel that runs up the side of the windshield but I might settle for a hummer style snorkel soon.
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #65
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

plaster???

So I decided to try to make a snorkel piece that runs up the windshield like most Jeep snorkels out there. I'll spoil this post by telling you right away that this didn't work out... or hasn't, yet..

Here is what my design looked like.

Basically I'm using PVC pipe for the tubing and I need to find some what to mount the tube to the jeep using the windshield bracket.

Making a solid block of plaster.

Getting ready for some sculpting

the result almost ready for step 2.

I figured the piece I had come up with simply wasn't good enough and wouldn't do so I started over with a slightly different technique..

More plaster...

Masking off any holes and cracks that plaster might get into.

Here is a tube in place held up with cardboard walls to serve as a container for pouring the plaster into. Notice that I have the tubing positioned in front of the windshield as opposed to most snorkels that run up the side, I think this could help avoid collisions and breaking off.. that sort of thing..

Plaster pouring..

Windshield aftermath..

The plaster took only about a minute before I could grab the thing and carefully peel the mold off away from the jeep.

Again more sculpting. Looking better than before!

Here's a shot of both molds in their final form. Definately an improvment the second time around.

Step 2. My plan is to cover the piece in something that I can later remove and have a mold created that I can then pour a harder more permanent material into. Caulk probably works...

This plan is in FAIL mode. The caulk pretty much never dried, and by never I mean 2 weeks at least. I must've caked in on too thick.

When I finally got to peeling it off I had to destroy the plaster piece because it apparently too complex of a shape to simply "peel" the silicone off.

I didn't throw away anything and I still have this part of my project but for right now I'm giving it a rest. I might have to try a different approach
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #66
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Snorkel 1 :D

So after disappointing myself with the whole plaster thing, I decided to go the "hummer-style" route.

I found a "hood inlet" online that would probably be good. It actually turned out higher quality than I expected. I think it was $30 - $40.

Getting ready hoping the fit is good...

I shortened one of the pipe caps I use to cover the cowl hole (for when I don't have a snorkel on it) to plug the "alternate/primary intake".

Perfect fit!?!
The fit is very tight and probably even tighter due to the painting I did on the piping. I think it looks very decent.

Wadya think?
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #67
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think it looks great

I'm eventually going to do some type of snorkel on my TJ
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #68
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

You did an exceptional job on this project!
I added the link to our new F.A.Q. for all to see!

When you make a silicone mold you need to use a catalyzed silicone.
There is a plastics co. here in L.A. that makes it http://www.hastingsplastics.com/
If you want me to ship some out to you, just let me know.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #69
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Wadya think?
WOW!!! That is all that I have to say!

Great job man!
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #70
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
You did an exceptional job on this project!
I added the link to our new F.A.Q. for all to see!

When you make a silicone mold you need to use a catalyzed silicone.
There is a plastics co. here in L.A. that makes it Hastings Plastics sells a full line of plastics, including acrylic and resins
If you want me to ship some out to you, just let me know.
Thanks! man that would've been good to know before. oh well lesson learned, I'll have to come up with something again at some point and I'll remember that if I go that route again.

And thanks for putting me in the FAQ! That's awesome , good to contribute to the community

i like the color of ur jeep btw
Unread 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #71
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

did some wheeling the other day, didn't find any water high enough to fully test the snorkel but I sure did have more confidence splashing around in any puddles i found.

here's a video

YouTube - Jeep JK and Ford F250 allegan, MI 9/25/10

Last edited by warCryr; 09-27-2010 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: typos
warCryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #72
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So after disappointing myself with the whole plaster thing, I decided to go the "hummer-style" route.

I found a "hood inlet" online that would probably be good. It actually turned out higher quality than I expected. I think it was $30 - $40.

That is exactly what I've been looking for, where did you find it? I've been looking everywhere.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #73
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

FYI, Rugged Ridge has said they are releasing a cowl intake sometime late this year.

Warcry, you are the man!
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #74
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
That is exactly what I've been looking for, where did you find it? I've been looking everywhere.
Yeah, the site I got mine off of is hard to find. Here's a link. Mines the 3" steel one (meaning it fits inside a 3"ID pipe).

Inlet Hoods
Unread 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #75
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
FYI, Rugged Ridge has said they are releasing a cowl intake sometime late this year.

Warcry, you are the man!
thanks

yeah i saw a jk forum thread about that. I'm waiting to see what that setup looks like, might steal some parts and end up with a rugged ridge river raider hybrid thing going on. (mine's basically River Raider under the hood)

Tags
airbox , cowl , custom , intake , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.