It's been awhile since my last update but I got a good one for ya. This one took me awhile to prep for; drawing, measuring, getting proper tools, getting parts that fit...etc.
Time to drill more holes!
First, removed the wipers.
Removed the cowl.
Did what I could to get an accurate measurement from where I needed to drill. This was tough and took me a few times of leaving and coming back to it before I was comfortable with my markings.
Started the hole...
Using a 3.75" hole saw... the aftermath
Looking at the previous image, you might think that I screwed up and drilled into that wall by accident. That's not the case, the tubing I had was too fat and that wall was in the way so I decided to take it out.
Here's a down view into the hole. I was aiming to not cut away at that edge on the lower part of the image. Later on, it turned out that I needed that much cut away anyway so that turned into good news. I also spray painted over it to hide the bare steel.
While the paint dried, I took the cowl to the basement and lined the cut with part of a rubber grommet. In an earlier post I mentioned that I only needed 2 of these but had to order 34 as a minimum. Turns out I needed more than two, for how many times I screwed up. Good thing. The PVC pipe is only there to keep some pressure on the rubber while the sealant dries.
My elbow I had planned on using for the joint here was too big so I had to order a tighter 90 degree elbow, I painted the edge of the hole as a temporary fix for the next couple days.
Cutting away part of the grommet because the underside was too thick.
My new elbow came so I got that in place.
This shot shows how tight of a fit the piping is to the side walls; this is why I had cut away at them.
I took another half of a rubber grommet and placed that on the outer edge of the hole. The edge is a little weird so I had to cut away and tweak the rubber with a knife to get it to fit nicely.
Hooked up the intake hose from the inside and clamped it in place.
Got the dinaliner idea from the cowl snorkel writeup posted on page 1.
Turned out good I think. Now I can either put a hummer style snokel on the end of that or create a snorkel that goes up the side of the windshield (I've already started planning for this.)
Also, remember I have two air intake holes, one in the cowl and one not far from the airbox. This is because I want to make the snorkel removeable. I have a bunch of 3" pipe caps that will be used to cover/plug whichever hole is not currently in use.