JK Custom Cowl Snorkel? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Custom Cowl Snorkel?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #46
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Excellent job bro....

Is the tubing soft enough to conform to the hole? If not there's always 100% silicon.

Unread 03-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #47
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Excellent job bro....

Is the tubing soft enough to conform to the hole? If not there's always 100% silicon.
The tubing is aluminum so I'm hoping the grommet conforms to the pipe. always hoping things turn out..
Unread 03-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #48
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not a whole lot of progress but here are a few more pictures of what I did today.

Got my parts for the elbow that goes through the firewall and up through the cowl.

1. 6" long 3" diameter aluminum pipe.
2. 4" long 3" diameter aluminum pipe.
3. 3" diameter rubber elbow.

Painting.

Attached the flexible part of the intake. I got this hose from Kenny from River Raider (River Raider Off Road LLC., The home of quality jeep parts.), it's the same hose used for the river raider snorkel kit. I just asked for it and he sold it to me.

More to follow..
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #49
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Finally got the pipe through the firewall. The grommet I had in place was deformed because of a couple reasons so the fit was very tight, but after a few trys I got it in there.

Hose end.

Rubber elbow end.

Waiting on a couple more parts before I drill the cowl hole, I'll keep this is thing updated.
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #50
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looking great man can't wait to see it done!
Bionicrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #51
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Glad you got the tubing through!!!

This is like waiting for a new movie to come out......lol

Good job bro!
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #52
jpgrl07

just curious as to how much did kenny charge you for the tube?
jpgrl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #53
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgrl07 View Post
just curious as to how much did kenny charge you for the tube?
hey, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Kenny charged me $50 total. That's including shipping. It's alot better than the tube I had planned on using before.
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #54
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

The scary part

It's been awhile since my last update but I got a good one for ya. This one took me awhile to prep for; drawing, measuring, getting proper tools, getting parts that fit...etc.

Time to drill more holes!

First, removed the wipers.

Removed the cowl.

Did what I could to get an accurate measurement from where I needed to drill. This was tough and took me a few times of leaving and coming back to it before I was comfortable with my markings.

Started the hole...

Using a 3.75" hole saw... the aftermath

Looking at the previous image, you might think that I screwed up and drilled into that wall by accident. That's not the case, the tubing I had was too fat and that wall was in the way so I decided to take it out.

Here's a down view into the hole. I was aiming to not cut away at that edge on the lower part of the image. Later on, it turned out that I needed that much cut away anyway so that turned into good news. I also spray painted over it to hide the bare steel.

While the paint dried, I took the cowl to the basement and lined the cut with part of a rubber grommet. In an earlier post I mentioned that I only needed 2 of these but had to order 34 as a minimum. Turns out I needed more than two, for how many times I screwed up. Good thing. The PVC pipe is only there to keep some pressure on the rubber while the sealant dries.

My elbow I had planned on using for the joint here was too big so I had to order a tighter 90 degree elbow, I painted the edge of the hole as a temporary fix for the next couple days.

Cutting away part of the grommet because the underside was too thick.

My new elbow came so I got that in place.

This shot shows how tight of a fit the piping is to the side walls; this is why I had cut away at them.

I took another half of a rubber grommet and placed that on the outer edge of the hole. The edge is a little weird so I had to cut away and tweak the rubber with a knife to get it to fit nicely.

Hooked up the intake hose from the inside and clamped it in place.

Got the dinaliner idea from the cowl snorkel writeup posted on page 1.

Heres the dinaliner and top pipe in place.
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #55
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

The scary part (continued)

tada!

A few shots of the result.

Turned out good I think. Now I can either put a hummer style snokel on the end of that or create a snorkel that goes up the side of the windshield (I've already started planning for this.)

Also, remember I have two air intake holes, one in the cowl and one not far from the airbox. This is because I want to make the snorkel removeable. I have a bunch of 3" pipe caps that will be used to cover/plug whichever hole is not currently in use.
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #56
kubwa_jim
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow dude. You are the man!!!
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #57
Bionicrooster
2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow man that came out awesome, you have some stones drilling all those big holes in that nice JK, but it was worth it! Let us know what you decide to do next and keep the pics coming.
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #58
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I am watching this

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #59
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

That is totally bi*chin', man! Thanks for the how-to, and for being the guinea-pig
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #60
rokov

Looks awesome, I have been watching this thread because I want to do this at some point. This makes me want to get out there right now and cut her up
rokov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbox , cowl , custom , intake , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.