JK Custom Cowl Snorkel? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Custom Cowl Snorkel?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #31
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies!

I decided to get a 2ft section of hose and extend the breather more. Instead of wrapping the hose over top of the engine, I pushed it back toward the firewall and wrapped it around the back.

Also, I removed the melted electrical tape from the hose and there is absolutely no harm done to the hose. good news.

Everything is good now

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Glad that it worked out for you!!!
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #33
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

intake pipe 1

a start on the intake pipe that connects the airbox to the snorkel.

Made entirely from Spectre intake parts.

Unread 03-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #34
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

looking good

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #35
Sgalway
2007 JK Wrangler 

This is a fantastic thread. However, I can't understand the point of the breather tube replacement? Is there a problem with the factory setup? About the only problem I have is that the rear one always falls off at full extension.
Banks Monster exhaust -- K&N 77 CAI -- 3" Black Diamond Lift
17" Pro Comp Extremes with 35" BFG A/T's
AEV front bumper w/ Warn Powerplant -- Custom safari roof rack
Sgalway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #36
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalway View Post
This is a fantastic thread. However, I can't understand the point of the breather tube replacement? Is there a problem with the factory setup? About the only problem I have is that the rear one always falls off at full extension.
The factory breather hoses only extend up to mid-engine height. If you happen to go in water deep enough that the breathers are under water, you could get water in your differentials, transfer case and/or transmission. and thats no good.

So I tied all the breathers into a main line that goes to the airbox. This way I only need to worry about making the airbox "waterproof".

The River Raider (www.riverraider.com) kit is only $50, so why not i guess. just to be clear, I didn't replace them, the kit uses the factory breather hoses.
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #37
Sgalway
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warCryr View Post
The factory breather hoses only extend up to mid-engine height. If you happen to go in water deep enough that the breathers are under water, you could get water in your differentials, transfer case and/or transmission. and thats no good.

So I tied all the breathers into a main line that goes to the airbox. This way I only need to worry about making the airbox "waterproof".

The River Raider (www.riverraider.com) kit is only $50, so why not i guess. just to be clear, I didn't replace them, the kit uses the factory breather hoses.
This makes perfect sense! Keep the updates coming, I think there are quite a few of us following along... Have you had a test voyage yet???
Banks Monster exhaust -- K&N 77 CAI -- 3" Black Diamond Lift
17" Pro Comp Extremes with 35" BFG A/T's
AEV front bumper w/ Warn Powerplant -- Custom safari roof rack
Sgalway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #38
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Awesome project warCryr. I can't wait to see the finished result!
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #39
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I was just thinking
By running everything to the air box it's possible that it will apply vacuum pressure to the vents!!! These vents are in place to equalize pressure within the systems to that of the outside atmosphere to protect the seals. By adding vacuum to these vents any fluid that reaches the tubes [splashed or otherwise] could be inhaled by the engine. Fumes and vapors could also become a problem and have an effect on the various sensors in the intake/fuel system.
Just something to keep in mind.
Your work looks very good, Keep it up

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #40
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Today I drilled a couple of 3.5" holes in my jeep .

First I pulled down and cut away some of the material covering the area to be drilled. The following image shows the bare firewall with an oval hole already in it and 2 other things sticking out of it, all three of these will be included in the hole to be drilled an will no longer exist.

tada.
This was a pain. If you do this, make sure you have a long enough drill in the center of your hole saw so that it reaches through the oval hole and hits the wall behind, this will keep your drill steady as you go through. (I figured this out the hard way .

Also, notice how I chopped off part of that dented-outward part of the firewall, I recommend avoiding that and drilling higher than I did. I wanted to avoid it but it didn't turn out that way. In the next photo you can see that because I didn't drill higher than I did, the hole drilled in the back wall (being curved) isn't quite circular.

I ordered some rubber grommets from Minor Rubber (I actually had to order 34 of them because of a "minimum order". But I couldn't find these the size I wanted anywhere so I went with it.) The following image shows the rubber grommet placed around the edge of the back hole. I added some silicone sealant to the inside of the grommet groove.

Then I placed another grommet on the front hole.

This image actually does the result justice. Because the edge of the hole is 1-3 sheets of metal in different places, the grommet doesn't fit nicely.

I'll have to do some forcing to get the pipe through...but at least it'll be really snug.

This part of the project is less than perfect, I didn't expect the walls I was drilling through to be thicker in some places than others.

Unread 03-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #41
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

btw, the holes I drilled were 3.5" in diameter, but with the grommets, the diameter of the intake pipe will be 3".
Unread 03-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #42
WindMeUp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looking great so far, can't wait to see more!
[/SIZE]| TeraFlex 2.5" Performance BB w/ Shock Adaptors | AEV Pintler 17" in Argent | BFG KM2 35x12.50r17 | Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift | OR-Fab Tire Carrier w/ Can Mount | TeraFlex 3rd Brake Light Relocation Bracket |

[URL=http://www.northridge4x4.com][B][SIZE="4"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="White"][U][SIZE="3"]Northridge 4x4[/SIZE][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][/URL]
WindMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #43
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the enthusiasm, it motivates me.

congrats on the new jk btw

edit: didn't see you were already a jk owner ha, congrats anyway

Last edited by warCryr; 03-20-2010 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: editting
warCryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #44
nate320
2009 JK Wrangler 

I am addicted to this thread! I soooo wish I had the technical know how to do this myself! Be that as it may, great project and write up!

Mods: None yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
nate320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #45
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate320 View Post
I am addicted to this thread! I soooo wish I had the technical know how to do this myself! Be that as it may, great project and write up!
ha. i dont know what i'm doing, im just making it up as i go. just hoping i dont screw up too bad.

and hoping that people learn from my mistakes or get ideas from what I do for there own project(s).

Tags
airbox , cowl , custom , intake , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.