JK Custom Cowl Snorkel? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Custom Cowl Snorkel?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit Jeep View Post
please explain SUMMIT!!!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah what gives?

I especially want to know if you think I did something wrong or if there is something I should have taken into account.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

warCryr, as an electrician, have to commmend you on your choice of parts for your project. We are always finding way to manipulate our left over parts and now you gave me some great ideas! How did u come up with the idea to use a pvc LB?
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
warCryr, as an electrician, have to commmend you on your choice of parts for your project. We are always finding way to manipulate our left over parts and now you gave me some great ideas! How did u come up with the idea to use a pvc LB?
Thanks. I have little to no experience with this kind of stuff (materials, sealants, proper tools...etc.).

I just walked through Lowes looking for anything that I could use to create a cover for the hole in the airbox. So anything that had a flat area that was at least 5" long and 3" tall would work. Initially I was thinking that a plastic bucket lid would work but in the end decided on the pvc for strength.
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #20
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

My breather hose extension kit from River Raider arrived yesterday! I'm goign to install it this weekend and I'll post pictures.
Unread 02-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

airbox mod complete

To complete my airbox mod I have to plug all the holes where water could get in. I also wanted to add a drain that would let water out if it ever got in, and would also keep water out.

I got the duckbill drain idea from the writeup posted previously.

Showing where the drain is going to go on the airbox.

Sketching out the area where I'll drill the hole for the drain.

The hole didn't cut out as smoothly as I had planned, but still worked out good.

I picked up some Sikaflex because it was used for the same purpose in the Safari Snorkel's installation writeup.

I applied the sikaflex to the outer rim of the drain and plopped it in place, couldn't have worked out better.

Here's an outer view.

Next I had to plug the holes in the airbox floor. There are three holes where the airbox mounts and one small hole (the stock drain).

Plugged with Sikaflex.

Bottom view of finished result.

I'll probably paint the entire outside so that it looks nice once the sikaflex drys .
Unread 02-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #22
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looks good, everything seems to be working out well! Are you going to post a parts list when finished? ( hose, sealant, clamps?)

I'm probably gonna try this in the spring.

Last edited by krutj; 02-20-2010 at 09:06 AM..
krutj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #23
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just a little note you might already realize, when painting the box mask off the pvc inlet.In and out. Paint has a hard time sticking to this material and you would hate to see the paint fleck off back into your airbox, or your hose loosen up with the paint. Great Write up so far!!!!
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #24
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
Just a little note you might already realize, when painting the box mask off the pvc inlet.In and out. Paint has a hard time sticking to this material and you would hate to see the paint fleck off back into your airbox, or your hose loosen up with the paint. Great Write up so far!!!!
thanks for the words of advice, i'll definately keep these things in mind.
Unread 02-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #25
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

My airbox mod supplies/tools:

Part 1 (page 1):
1. Hand file for smoothing things out and shaping plastic/PVC.
2. Hand saw for shaping plastic/PVC and cutting off stock snorkel mount.
3. Electric drill
4. Phillips head screwdriver
5. Scrap PVC to be used as the stock snorkel mount cover.
6. Spectre 8148 Intake Duct Mounting Plate for the new snorkel mount.
7. Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant for watertight sealing.
8. 3/4 in. Stainless steel self-tapping pan head screws x4 for the cover.
9. 1/2 in. Stainless steel self-tapping pan head screws x4 for the new mount.

Part 2 (page 2):
1. Hand file for smoothing out the hole I drill.
2. Electric drill with 1.5" bit for the drain hole.
3. Duckbill drain (from West Marine)
4. Sikaflex 291 LOT for watertight sealing.

Lessons learned:
1. Have a good cleaning solution, the silicone can get everywhere and is VERY difficult to clean off skin with regular soap and water.
2. Use 3/4 in. screws, the 1/2 in. screws were a little short.
3. Use black Sikaflex, it looks nicer.
4. Drill larger holes for the screws, for ease of tighting and one of my screw hole did crack slightly on one of the last screws.
5. When drilling the drain hole, I should have had something (wood) behind the wall I was drilling through; when I broke through, the drill bit jerked all over creating the ragged edge shown in the picture above.
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

River Raider breather hose extension kit

My River Raider breather hose extension kit installation:

The first step was take the large tube and run it through the engine area, down along the body tub all the way back to about where the rear axle is making sure not to position it where it might come in contact with moving parts or parts that get too hot. Notice the open tube in the center of the picture.

Engine Breather
Inserted the T shaped thing at the end of this tube.

Cut the engine breather approx. 5 in. from the engine (according to the directions. The actual length that I cut at was shorter than 5in.)

Fitted the now cut engine breather hose ends to the remaining two ends of the T.

Front Axle Breather
The front axle breather is located on the inside wall of the the driver side wheel well. It can be located easy enough by first locating where the breather is connected to the axle, then following it up to the end of the hose.
Using the supplied connector (white) and supplied smaller hose, extend this breather hose. The white connector is in the following picture in the center-right side (its tiny and connecting two tubes together.)

This part wasn't in the instructions so I just made it up as I went. The now-extended tube wraps up and around the top of the engine and connects to our main line in the same way the engine breather attached, cutting the main line and using another T to join the smaller tube to it.

Transfer-case breather
The transfercase breather is difficult to locate, VERY difficult to reach, and VERY difficult to disconnect. By the way, you can tell hoses are breather hose by their white end-caps. I located the t-case hose by laying under the passenger side door and looking up through to the top of the engine. At the correct angle you should be able to see the white cap pointing straight up. The hose runs down from behind the engine against the body tub and ends up parrallel to the ground leading to the top of the t-case.
The first picture is looking up under the passenger side door, the top of the picture is to the rear of the jeep; the smaller hose is the t-case breather connecting to the main line which I tied in place where another (smaller) line was already in place.

Kinda what my view of where to look for the t-case breather end. Sorry it's not that helpful, I can't even tell what I'm looking at.

The auto-transmission breather, I believe is in relatively the same area as the t-case breather. But I have a manual so I'm not sure exactly.

Rear Axle Breather
I followed the smaller line that was already in place along the vehicle frame and ran the main line up against it into a hole between the frame and the gas tank. At some point the hose turns toward the center of the vehicle where I route it on top of the frame toward the back of the jeep. The bottom of the following two images is toward the back of the jeep.

The rear axle breather can be found by locating where the breather attaches to the rear axle and following it up to where it ends. It's attached to the inside of the passenger-side rear wheel well. I detached it from there.
Using the hook thing that the brake lines hang on, I attached the main line to this also, and attached the rear axle breather to the end of the main line using the supplied L shaped piece. I might move this later, I'm not sure if I like that spot.

Lessons learned/Advice

1. The smaller hoses are MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to fit onto the T and L shaped things so do those first before attaching the main line as you will likely have more room and 'hose give' to work with. It's hard to explain but it is difficult when you have to use alot of force to get things to fit and you are confined to small/tight areas.
2. It might be a better idea to do this project outdoors when its warm out, things should be easier to fit together, and you'll have daylight to work under.

Overall, it was an exhausting project for me. but its cool
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #27
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

It's very cool dude.....thanks a bunch for the extra explanations!! I'm gonna bookmark this thread for future needs!
You did a great job and should be very proud, not just the mod. but this is a great write up.
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #28
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

A possible breather issue

So I think this may be a problem with my breather hose extension install.

Notice in the following image, I've extended the front axle breather hose up over and around the engine.

After driving, the hose/pipe that the breather hose is touching gets hot; too hot for comfort. The left side of the image shows this; the hot part it's touching has some sort of cover over it, but that gets hot as well. The breather hose wasn't melting and hasn't melted, but I wrapped a little electrical tape around it where it touches and the electrical tape is getting "melty".

The breather hose is extended fully and has little to no room for movement.

Anyone know of anything I can wrap the breather hose in to keep it from melting like the electrical tape?
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
Evil_Trolloc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice job on the mod...
I think you'd be best off if u go to the autopart store and buy a longer piece of rubber hose.. Then you can run it closer to the firewall and a little closer to the passanger side before it bends over to meet the other line.
This should keep it well away from that tube..
08 rubicon / 2dr / 6spd / 3.5" rockkrawler / 1" BL / 36" TSL's / superior rear axle shafts, JE Reel 1350 rear DS / skidrow oil/trans skid / riddler covers / EVO C gussets / RK truss / custom grill gaurd / CB / Herculiner / home brew sliders / plenty of scratches
Evil_Trolloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #30
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Since it's just a breather and no pressure, maybe just get a barbed connector and a short section of hose?

Tags
airbox , cowl , custom , intake , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.