JK Custom Cowl Snorkel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > JK Custom Cowl Snorkel?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

JK Custom Cowl Snorkel?

I've been looking for a snorkel I like for a while and although I like the ones that River Raider and AEV make, I want something different. I've decided to pursue the creation of my own custom snorkel.

After thinking through a few designs of my own, instead of coming out the side of the hood or the fender, I've decided that a good place would be the left side of the cowl. (I'm not sure if its called a cowl) Its the strip of metal that the wipers come up through between the wind sheild and the hood.

Here is a photo of hummerstyle cowl snorkel on someone elses jeep.

Here is an under-hood photo as an example:

Installing something like this would require cutting a hole through the fire wall and again up through the cowl.

Is this a good, bad, or crazy idea? Any ideas or thoughts that would be helpful to me making my decision on how to create my snorkel?

Thanks in advance. Any input is of interest.

Unread 01-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I did that on my TJ... a long time ago.

I will find the thread..

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
krutj
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

This is also my next mod. I wonder if the cowl idea might be a little low?
could a big splash get sucked in from the hood area? Just curious. Keep posting if you proceed, I'll be subscribed
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not my jeep, but this write up will probably help you guys out.

Fresh Air Intake / Adjustable Snorkel - JkOwners.com - The Community for Jeep JK 4x4 Owners

Unread 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Evil_Trolloc
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is pretty much the same type of setup I'm planning. My main reason is I'd end up ripping or crushing the tube right off.. Seeing as how I've already smashed in my windshield frame once and have been REALLY close enough times...

It's something I won't be starting till spring rolls back around.
08 rubicon / 2dr / 6spd / 3.5" rockkrawler / 1" BL / 36" TSL's / superior rear axle shafts, JE Reel 1350 rear DS / skidrow oil/trans skid / riddler covers / EVO C gussets / RK truss / custom grill gaurd / CB / Herculiner / home brew sliders / plenty of scratches
Evil_Trolloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Evil_Trolloc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
This is also my next mod. I wonder if the cowl idea might be a little low?
could a big splash get sucked in from the hood area? Just curious. Keep posting if you proceed, I'll be subscribed
Just keep a 2 or 3 foot section of pipe in the jeep.. When your about to cross some deep water, throw it on.. And keep it off for every day use
08 rubicon / 2dr / 6spd / 3.5" rockkrawler / 1" BL / 36" TSL's / superior rear axle shafts, JE Reel 1350 rear DS / skidrow oil/trans skid / riddler covers / EVO C gussets / RK truss / custom grill gaurd / CB / Herculiner / home brew sliders / plenty of scratches
Evil_Trolloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I know a guy running the Rive Raider full length snorkel. He's whacked it pretty hard on the trail with no issues.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
krutj
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Trolloc View Post
Just keep a 2 or 3 foot section of pipe in the jeep.. When your about to cross some deep water, throw it on.. And keep it off for every day use
DUH...I kinda feel stupid, great suggestion, I really shoulda seen that though
GRANT211-thanks for the link, that was a good write up!
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the replies everyone, its really convincing me to do this. and awesome find on the writeup!
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok, some progress.

One step at a time, I have a good start.

Battery Relocation:

Removed battery

Filed down tabs to make room. This was a slow process using a hand file.

Got a plastic battery tray from Autozone and cut it to size.

Battery relocated:

The autozone battery tray is bolted down using the same hole that held the battery in place previously.
Its ok for now, but I'll have to find a better way to hold it in place sooner or later.
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

airbox mod

I have a good start on my airbox mod.

Factory "snorkel" removed.

Sawed off and filed down factory snorkel mount.

Filed down tabs on side of airbox to make room for the new mount.

Filed down the new mount so that it would fit on the side nicely.

To cover the hole where the old mount had been, I cut out a piece of PVC and filed it into a shape that would fit nicely over the hole.

Drilled screw holes in the new mount and in the pvc cover.

Drilled/sawed/filed out a hole where the new mount will be attached.

One side at a time:
Started the screws through the mount screw holes to make life easier once I had it in place. Applied Permatex black silicone adhesive sealant on the entire mounting area. Placed the mount on the area and screwed the screws in the rest of the way in.

I have yet to plug the drain holes in the bottom of the airbox.
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow, very interesting. Nice work with the hand tools. Did you smooth out the inside of the tube where all the silicone is?

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Wow, very interesting. Nice work with the hand tools. Did you smooth out the inside of the tube where all the silicone is?
I tried but the silicone was getting everywhere so I did what I could to make it look clean and then left it. I may have used too much on that end.

That side didn't go on as nicely as the larger piece, screws wouldn't line up and stay in the holes, things were slipping...etc

Maybe i can cut off the access silicone after it drys with a knife.
Unread 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
krutj
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Great job...I'll bet you can fool around with the dried silicone later. I'm following you all the way. I prefer self-mods. Gave you the thumbs up for the post!
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
Summit Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Summit Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbox , cowl , custom , intake , snorkel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.